News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

electric cut outs...

Started by 1974dodgecharger, January 02, 2015, 06:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

Do they provide any performance? Where to place em? I was thinking before the H pipe since or right after collector?

cdr

if you have a restrictive system they would help,but mostly they just make noise  :Twocents:

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Bob T

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 02, 2015, 06:21:33 PM
Do they provide any performance? Where to place em? I was thinking before the H pipe since or right after collector?

High performance sound everytime you use them!  :smilielol:
Decided I'm going to get a set of Dougs ones along with a Suntech period tach next time I have a spendy urge on the BBD.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/new/details.aspx?ID=137

Next question would be, Who has the best price on them??

Maybe these guys...

http://marylandspeed.com/dougs-electric-cutouts-25-pair-with-ypipes-and-hook-up-kit-dec250ak-p-3920.html
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

1974dodgecharger

I saw some on ebay for 95 bucks shipped with electronic cut outs and if they fail big deal I will plug it up with a solid piece that costs 10 bucks if they ever leak.  figure 200 bucks for both....hard to justify 200 bucks for sound enhancement  :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

Is the "sound enhancement" in the Hellcats a cutout or is it something similar but within the muffler?  Or does anyone know yet?

1974dodgecharger

I thought it was a cutout?  I never heard them say it was for performance though  :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

Like cdr said though, unless you have a restrictive exhaust there won't be much of a performance benefit anyway.

Bob T

Quote from: Ghoste on January 04, 2015, 02:27:48 AM
Is the "sound enhancement" in the Hellcats a cutout or is it something similar but within the muffler?  Or does anyone know yet?

Is the "sound enhancement" you speak of referring to a Ford product? I seem to remember reading something on DC or online somewhere about a late model Mustang? that had a button that played a sound clip to change the exhaust note to uh brighten up the drivers day as it were. What a joke if it is, the marketing exec's might as well fit it to their vw golfs...
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

JB400

A lot of the new performance cars have an electric valve near the mufflers to create a little more noise, like your Corvettes, some Camaro's, and I'd say the SRT Challengers have them as well.  With the engineers making the cabins air tight, they have to do little tricks like these to give them a performance sound.

Ghoste

Quote from: Bob T on January 04, 2015, 12:39:42 PM

Is the "sound enhancement" you speak of referring to a Ford product? I seem to remember reading something on DC or online somewhere about a late model Mustang? that had a button that played a sound clip to change the exhaust note to uh brighten up the drivers day as it were. What a joke if it is, the marketing exec's might as well fit it to their vw golfs...

I'm talking about the Hellcat Challengers, they have the same "feature".

myk

I know they designed the newer Mustangs to literally pipe the exhaust note back into the cabin.  As JB said, interiors are so quiet these days you wouldn't hear a thing otherwise...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Bob T

Quote from: Ghoste on January 04, 2015, 08:00:23 PM

I'm talking about the Hellcat Challengers, they have the same "feature".

That's terrible, no visceral roar by itself. Just seems wrong.

Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Ghoste

Yeah, the Charger and Challenger as they currently are seem loud enough to me as they go by but I suppose all that extra Hellcat-ness needs to be heard inside the car too.

ws23rt

Quote from: Ghoste on January 05, 2015, 01:45:50 PM
Yeah, the Charger and Challenger as they currently are seem loud enough to me as they go by but I suppose all that extra Hellcat-ness needs to be heard inside the car too.

I like that --the extra Hellcat-ness-- :lol:   I suppose the extra from the hellcat would come from the supercharger--a different sound that most wouldn't like if it were not for where it comes from. :smilielol:

JB400

The current Car & Driver feature article on the Charger Hellcat does mention this feature.

fy469rtse

Quote from: cdr on January 02, 2015, 07:38:30 PM
if you have a restrictive system they would help,but mostly they just make noise  :Twocents:

your car turned out great Charlie,  :2thumbs: bet it's a lot of fun to drive , followed your threads including where you had cam lobes go away,
Glad to see you got on top of it.  Like I already said great car

Paul G

On the chassis dyno my cut outs were good for about 5 hp and just a little more tq.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

cdr

the picture i posted is the car that counts kustom did, just updating the efi fuel system on it & snapped some pictures.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Paul G on January 13, 2015, 02:56:21 PM
On the chassis dyno my cut outs were good for about 5 hp and just a little more tq.

thanks Paul some real life experiment there......you still organizing the drive to the MATS this year with the club?

CDR you did work for the Kount?  His show cracks me up.....

Paul G

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 14, 2015, 12:37:15 AM
thanks Paul some real life experiment there......you still organizing the drive to the MATS this year with the club?

I am. Larry H Miller in Surprise will host the morning gathering again. Free breakfast and T shrts. I need to put together a T-shirt design yet and get it to LHM. This year the group coming up from Gilbert may change there route and take the 10 to the 303 to the 60 in to Wickenburg, and we can merge the two groups in on the 303.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

cdr

no i do not work for count's,, the guy that owns the charger live in texas

1974dodgecharger

Thx paul man words cant explain how much fun i had just riding with u guys last year what a emotional blast.......great club u guys run I tell people about it all the time to join....... :2thumbs:

Quote from: Paul G on January 14, 2015, 08:01:43 AM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 14, 2015, 12:37:15 AM

I am. Larry H Miller in Surprise will host the morning gathering again. Free breakfast and T shrts. I need to put together a T-shirt design yet and get it to LHM. This year the group coming up from Gilbert may change there route and take the 10 to the 303 to the 60 in to Wickenburg, and we can merge the two groups in on the 303.