News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who and Where to get my Hemi?

Started by 69Chrgr, March 25, 2006, 09:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Chrgr

Hi guys. This is my first post, however I have viewed for a long time. My Charger is almost back from the paint and body, rotisseirie fab shop.
I will be approaching my next step in the process, needing a motor. I've invested 26,500 in rotissierie and paint&body alone, so there is no turning back now. The car was originally a 383 car, now a Black(Red Bumblebee Stripe) Hemi 5 speed clone. My question is have any of you had any experience with Ray Barton regarding Hemis or 440's? Ive heard a lot of good things, only one bad. But if you guys have any other suggestions please let me know. Thanks! :icon_smile_approve: 

BrianShaughnessy

I haven't used Barton personally but my friend E-booger does.   http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/Bold-Beeper.html   
He's very satisfied with their work.   They did the engine work on the Beeper and the Green Brick.

Another friend of mine had a aluminum 528 hemi built up recently and used their rotating assembly and had a disagreement over what was bought and paid for but he was satisfied with the outcome and it was resolved to his satisfaction.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

69Chrgr

Thanks Brian. Looks like Barton is about the best. I appreciate the reply.

69Chrgr

Anyone have any other suggestions/experience w/Hemi?

Blown70

www.forhemisonly.com

Tim Banning.  In my opinion as good as Barton less the cost.

I have spoken to Tim about my motor a couple of time.  I am getting the heads from him and also he will be doing the motor when the car is done being mocked up.

Tom

69Chrgr

Thanks Blown 70. Could you tell me a little about your Hemi? Ray Barton suggested 472 cubes, but For HemisOnly suggested 528. Not a 1/4 mile only car, however I have had the subframe connectors welded in and the torque boxes installed when it was on the rotisseirrie. I want a pump gas car in the 650 horse range and I will not cut a hole in my hood to facilitate a tunnel ram or anything else. You have any suggestions? I really appreciate your time. :yesnod:

Blown70

Quote from: 69Chrgr on March 27, 2006, 01:09:57 PM
Thanks Blown 70. Could you tell me a little about your Hemi? Ray Barton suggested 472 cubes, but For HemisOnly suggested 528. Not a 1/4 mile only car, however I have had the subframe connectors welded in and the torque boxes installed when it was on the rotisseirrie. I want a pump gas car in the 650 horse range and I will not cut a hole in my hood to facilitate a tunnel ram or anything else. You have any suggestions? I really appreciate your time. :yesnod:

I would do the 528.  I guess mine will be a Forced induction (supercharger).  I believe Tim told me the cost difference is not very much and you have the extra cubes.  The bore on a 472 is 4.25 and the stroke 4.15.  A 528 is 4.50 bore with a 4.15. Stroke.  So you have the same stroke just a different bore.

I will be using a KB Alum. Block as well.

Also, I think Tim has some 528 hemis in the 750+ range and sounded like they were very driveable.  Again,  I respect Tim's opinion.  He has done this from the 70's.

Tom

Troy

If you want 650 horse then go for the stroker for at least some semblence of reliability. The extra air volume will help. I agree on For Hemis Only, I've had good experiences with them and so have several others. You may also want to check with Arruzza since he makes some awesome engines as well (and some mounts). I don't know that I've personally heard anything bad about Barton but I know I can't afford anything they sell. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69Chrgr

Thanks Troy and Tom!! :icon_smile_wink: You guys are awesome :yesnod: I spoke with ForHemisOnly and I agree that they or Arruzza may well be the way to go. Sounds like a 528 is the way to go.

BrianShaughnessy

I made an ooops.    George's isn't a 528... it's a 572  :icon_smile_cool:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

69Chrgr

Wheww!! Now that thing has got a Hemi!!