News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 dash ashtray?

Started by ds440, January 16, 2015, 02:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ds440

This chrome ashtray was pulled out of a '69 dash.  Am I mistaken that dash ashtrays were painted to match the dash color?  In this case, the car originally had a blue interior....so shouldn't the ashtray match the lower dash pad?  Was chrome an option?

Is this ashtray out of something else?  Another B-body perhaps?

Any insight is appreciated! :cheers:
1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

bill440rt

Looks like a '68/'69 that has been chrome plated.
Ashtrays were painted dash color. The inside tray itself was left zinc plated.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

Yep, somebody has customized that one.

ds440

Ah, okay.  That confirms my suspicion.  Thanks for taking the time to reply guys.  I appreciate it! :2thumbs:

kab69440

That's just the awesomest! I love it! Put it back in the car and leave it just like that!
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Dino

That's genuine '69 bling man!   :coolgleamA:   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

I wonder if the rest of the dash was chromed?

ds440

Ha!  Nope, the rest of the dash wasn't blinged....just the ashtray.  The rest of the dash is the correct B5 blue interior color.  Which is why I was wondering if it came like that.  It's out of my brother's '69 which is under going a complete rotisserie restoration (or restomod in this case).  There have been a few head-scratching modifications done to the car before he owned it.  So this is right on par.

The ashtray far from perfect...few dings and scratches.  He hasn't decided what to do with it yet - he has another one being shipped to him.  But if anyone's interested, he might list it in the classifieds at some point.  Now you too can bling out your ride.... :2thumbs:

twodko

Who in hell would chrome a '69 Charger ashtray much less any
other gen?
That's just wrong, ghetto and nasty.  :puke:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Shakey

Quote from: kab69440 on January 17, 2015, 06:32:35 AM
That's just the awesomest! I love it! Put it back in the car and leave it just like that!

I agree!  I'd polish it up and put it right back.  Not correct, stands out like a sore thumb but sure adds a lot of character.

Audiguy

It was obviously a smoker who kept burning the finish on it, and decided, WTH, lets just chrome plate it. :cheers:

oldcarnut

Quote from: twodko on January 17, 2015, 09:06:43 PM
Who in hell would chrome a '69 Charger ashtray much less any
other gen?
That's just wrong, ghetto and nasty.  :puke:
Guilty as charged, well sorta if you count clear coated brushed stainless