News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

(Speculation) Who's gonna buy our Chargers in 20 years?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, January 18, 2015, 11:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on January 18, 2015, 09:10:05 PM
Quote from: 69_500 on January 18, 2015, 04:29:32 PM
In 20 years I will be 55 so I will still be in the market for more cars. There are people my age interested in these cars, just not a ton of us.

Well i'm 55 now so in 20 or sooner, look me up. Got to much crap now, need to get rid of the Dart. Might just leave everything in the barns to somebody, that way the wife will not have to deal with it. This thread is depressing, but makes you stop & think. 

In twenty more years I hope to have at least one Daytona by then and a Hemi 500. Piecing a collection together.

Ghoste

I hope I have a couple more car projects in me too.

RDC

Sublime/Sixpack

I hope to be driving mine when I'm 95.  :yesnod:         After that who knows?
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Dmichels

I think about this a lot with all the crap I collect, coins, guns, pocket watches., and 1 68 charger. Will any one really care about an 1909svdb penny when I am 80? An old 1903 Springfield? A neat pocket watch that keeps time within a few seconds a day without a battery? Can you even get gas for that old car from 1968? Sorry this makes me sad but I do not think the next generation will care all that much. Hopefully I am wrong, but I am finding less young people {can I say that now I am 44?} that have an interest in this old neat stuff.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

HANDM

I've been seriously considering selling the Charger and getting a new(er) ram truck.........  :-\

I look at it as the new Challenger will keep interest alive for the 70 so it will hold it's value better than the Charger  :shruggy:
The wife says it would be cool to have a new Challenger and the 70 so there is that......little consolation   :rotz:

G-man

Considering I sold a 68 charger to buy a 69 muatang which i sold to buy a 70 chevelle which im very much contemplating selling now to get a 68 charger again. I'll be buying them in 20 years :rofl:

Ghoste

What year is the zombie apocolypse supposed to start?  I don't think they will buy anything will they?

500Jon

Great Topic even if its a bit depressing!

We all want what we can't afford, it keeps us interested and hungry.
Once you achieve the goal of having a Charger R/T or Hemi-car then the reality sets in...
Maintaining the dream both mentally and mechanically!

They are, believe it or not an ongoing project, Muscle-Cars of all shapes and sizes.
My Charger friends that were spotty 20-year olds in the 90's restoring their pride and Joys,,, are doing it all over again.
Some have ongoing rust issues (curse of damp enviroment), fading paint, cracked rubbers, splitting seats etc.
They like me hoped their children will 'take up the flag' and carry on the tradition that is Mopar Muscle!
Now get REAL, it ain't happening, its too uncool to copy DAD these days!!!

So in answer to your question...

IT AIN'T LOOKING GOOD!!!

THE HIGH DOLLAR CARS ARE GOING FURTHER OUTTA REACH... BUT...

The 'also runs' are coming back to us, just gotta live long enough to enjoy them when they arrive LOL!!!
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

1974dodgecharger

when was the last time someone said, 'im gonna restore me a 96 civic to original'........ooohhhhhh.....ahhhhhhhhh

Ghoste

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Ghoste on January 20, 2015, 06:54:07 AM
And will they ever?

I would say anything fuel injection NO.....and NO......I never had heard anyone say they would restore a fuel injection car its usually, 'im gonna buy me a new car'  :icon_smile_big:

500Jon

Maybe the 'Collecting Bug' is dying out?

Technology has changed peoples attitudes to material things?

WHY HAVE REALITY, WHEN YOU CAN HAVE INSTANT SATISFACTION, IN A VIRTUAL WORLD!!! :popcrn:

Create the perfect wife and home, have a hemi-car in the garage, that costs nothing to run and maintain...
Drive 150mph through the Streets of your BiG CITY, no-one gets hurt or killed and when you wipe out on the Freeway, it don't matter!

PRESS START and do it all again........................... :drive: :drive: :drive:

1974dodgecharger

very true.....

I don't our cars though will be considered BEASTS anymore with such modern technology cars producing more power as someone mentioned a stock V6 camry can do 1/4 miles faster than a stock 383?  It be one of those in 20 years people will have in their garage for looks and occasional drive every 6 months to get to remember how horrible the drive was for these cars, but exciting at the same time with no technology stuff behind it.

Quote from: 500Jon on January 20, 2015, 06:56:54 AM

WHY HAVE REALITY, WHEN YOU CAN HAVE INSTANT SATISFACTION, IN A VIRTUAL WORLD!!! :popcrn:

Create the perfect wife and home, have a hemi-car in the garage, that costs nothing to run and maintain...
Drive 150mph through the Streets of your BiG CITY, no-one gets hurt or killed and when you wipe out on the Freeway, it don't matter!

PRESS START and do it all again........................... :drive: :drive: :drive:

500Jon

Hi 74,

EER, Euro Folks are restoring 80's cars like they is Muscle cars!!!
To them fuel injection is 'chicken feed' and 80's electronics is so over engineered and funky!

Where we would fit a bigger cam, carb, they just fit a CHIP!!!
Lowering springs that take an hour to fit and drive into a local tyre shop for the choice of a THOUSAND rims and tyres...
Repro panels, pre-painted for $50 that clip on, and or, full plastic overlays over any surface on the car!!!

Its not restoration its a weekly colour/wheel change on non-rusting, for everlasting Euro-BOXES................. :smilielol:

Anyone starting a Mopar Resto now is probably POOPING their PANTS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Ghoste

Maybe a good question is will their be support for people interested in these cars in 20 years?  Get your AMD while you can.

tan top

Quote from: 500Jon on January 20, 2015, 06:56:54 AM

yeah , think you could be right FIVE -j   deffo seems the way the a certain generation are going !! or have already gone .

Quote from: Ghoste on January 20, 2015, 08:40:46 AM
Maybe a good question is will their be support for people interested in these cars in 20 years?  Get your AMD while you can.

that's something to think about too  :o
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Stegs

well in 20 years i will be 47  :'(

i hope by then to have kids and i hope to pass it down to them (but i plan on driving my car until i cant afford the gas for it anymore or they take my license away)

I have a 98 dodge ram 1500 that i redid 1 year after i got out of high school....i joke with my wife that one day i want to see my truck on barret jackson  :smilielol: :lol:

Homerr

Buy?!

I'm just waiting for all you old farts to will me your Chargers.   :rofl:

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: 69_500 on January 19, 2015, 08:45:31 AM

In twenty more years I hope to have at least one Daytona by then and a Hemi 500. Piecing a collection together.

I'm 35 too and would love t own a C500 one day. Hemi would be even cooler. Yes a few of us are still interested in musclecars.

500Jon

Hi Charger Fan,

You are on my list of potential buyers!
Remember this number 248662...
One day it may be yours?
4-speed Hemi/440 C500............ :2thumbs:

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Ghoste on January 20, 2015, 08:40:46 AM

I've thought about this, and what I should be stocking up on to keep my car going for the next 20 years.  (alternators, fuel pumps, etc......regular wear out parts.)

:scratchchin:

74Rallye

I'm not worried. I believe my kids will wreck them. Like father, like son as they say.  :rofl:

500Jon

Positive thinking is needed here Folks!

I want to warm your hearts and minds with a Charger Story!
In 1989 I lucked into a 68 R/T Charger from Vegas!
Non vinyl auto car, never been apart and truly rustfree!!!
I was driving to work in London Town every day.
There was a spotty teenager at work who was annoying as HELL.
Always up to no good, breaking stuff and being an ass...
Any ways he was always ribbing me about my Charger saying it was a TURD!
Then six months later he says he wants to buy it???

To get rid of him I said its £5000, a thousand more than I paid.

Guess what...he turns up at work with an envelope with £5000 inside...
You could have pushed me over with FEATHER!!!
Well any ways we do the deal and he says he can't drive it he hasn't got a licence yet???
Could I drop it off at his house please.....how weird is that?

Twenty five years later he still has the Charger, its a mint Vegas car, so what's it worth now?

Oh yeah and he still hasn't driven it YET!!! :popcrn:

He says he's left it to me in his WILL...trouble is he 15 years younger than me DOH!!! :slap:

Bob T

Gidday 500Jon, that's quite a story, pretty cool.
The senior apprentice where I did my time as a snot nose 16 year old had a MKIII Zephyr and a 69 R/T Charger in poo brown. Occasionally he would bring it to work and I would cadge a ride off him home, I couldn't afford it then though. Nearly 30 years later he has a Plum Crazy 70 GTX and lives a few streets away and likes my Charger a lot, funny how it goes.

Quite like the idea of owning a 500 though, one of my mates has one locally in resto,  have toyed with the idea of selling my R/T and getting Aero , maybe flick us a few pics sometime
southerncharger@gmail.com

:cheers:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.