News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OBX stainless headers ??

Started by Highbanked Hauler, January 22, 2015, 09:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Anyone use them, did they fit ? With the hell session I had fitting the Hookers on my sons 440 I would rule them out a second time for mine. :shruggy:.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

comet_666

I just got mine today, they look sweet, we will see how they fit though. I have heard good things.

myk

What size motor are they getting bolted onto?  I'll be watching this one...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

comet_666

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: comet_666 on January 23, 2015, 03:39:31 PM
I just got mine today, they look sweet, we will see how they fit though. I have heard good things.

Yours look better already. With the Hookers no.6 plug is almost impossible to get at and the rest of the passengers side plugs aren't much better. :Twocents:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Mopar Nut

I wonder what the difference with those compared to TTi's stainless steel.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

comet_666

I was going to go with TTI to match rest of my 3 inch system, these are $400 cheaper.

myk

Quote from: Mopar Nut on January 23, 2015, 06:32:38 PM
I wonder what the difference with those compared to TTi's stainless steel.

That's the question I'm asking as well...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Mopar Nut

Quote from: comet_666 on January 23, 2015, 07:26:16 PM
I was going to go with TTI to match rest of my 3 inch system, these are $400 cheaper.
You are talking about ceramic coated headers, the TTi's stainless steel headers are about $1,700.00

comet_666

Yup, I was just about to pull the trigger on them too..

Mopar Nut

Quote from: comet_666 on January 23, 2015, 10:27:56 PM
Yup, I was just about to pull the trigger on them too..
That's a good savings, can't wait for your review.

Mike DC

How much do these bad boys cost?

myk

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 24, 2015, 12:46:16 AM
How much do these bad boys cost?

About $400 on eBay.  Their products seem to be controversial with just about every platform out there, although I didn't see anyone comment on applications like ours...

c00nhunterjoe

Are they on yet? Lol. I am waiting to hear how they fit. Thats a crazy good price if they clear with anymore "work" then most other headers.

Mike DC

Controversial . . . .  :scratchchin:

Is that code for "dogshit quality"?  

Or does it mean "Chinese knockoff of an American product"?  

Or maybe both?

comet_666

They will be on in a few weeks after my dyno roll.
Says OBX Racing Sports are out of SF, CA but not sure where they are made. They have a limited lifetime warranty though.

myk

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 24, 2015, 09:30:58 AM

Controversial . . . .  :scratchchin:

Is that code for "dogshit quality"? 

Or does it mean "Chinese knockoff of an American product"? 

Or maybe both?

The 5th generation Camaro guys are accusing them of ripping off Kooks designs, for example.  If they're made in China my attitude about it is "oh well."  The idea of buying strictly American is about as realistic as rainbows and unicorns.  Many car parts and their manufacture originate from other countries including the 5th Gen Camaros, whose owners seem to think their cars were built by the original signers of the Constituition and delivered by Paul Revere himself.

Arguments about their quality go back and forth, which doesn't separate them from any other product, IMO.

If these work out for the 'OP I'll consider them for my car as well...

Highbanked Hauler

For a 74 Challenger I don't know where Hooker headers are made but "THE SET THAT I HAVE"  required  a list of dents and bending to clear parts and a couple of spark plugs BEFORE I put a set of short plugs in. I think these were 1 7/8 tubes.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

comet_666

I try to buy American made stuff if I can, however being made in America does not necessarily mean quality but it generally costs more.

chargerm440

I know this is an old thread, but did you ever get those headers installed. I was looking at picking some up for my 69 charger 440/727 combo.  Thanks.

sanders7981

Where's the shovel!?  Just kidding, I'm interested to know myself.  I used to own a 2003 Ford Lightning And many members of that crowd used OBX headers when prices were too steep among the big name brands.  I never tried them out, but from what I recall many folks said the quality and fitment was great, and more than what was expected for the price paid.  

chargerm440

Quote from: sanders7981 on April 28, 2015, 12:15:26 AM
Where's the shovel!?  Just kidding, I'm interested to know myself.  I sued to own a 2003 Ford Lightning And many members of that crowd used OBX headers when prices were too steep among the big name brands.  I never tried them out, but from what I recall many folks said the quality and fitment was great, and more than what was expected for the price paid. 

This is exactly why I want to know.  I put a set of OBX long tubes on my 2006 F-150 5.4 and they are fantastic.  I think I paid $425 for the headers and the y-pipe together.  They have been on the truck for 3 years now and have held up really good.  If they fit decent on the chargers I would really like to buy another set.

fy469rtse

Comet,
I would like to know as well ,
its one of those area's that we all come up against , your size engine is very similar to mine ,
I would like a set that fits as well  ::)

comet_666

Wish I had an update for you guys. My engine builders father passed away a few weeks back which has put everything at a standstill for a bit.