News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My free 69 charger R/T ....

Started by Pat1973charger, January 26, 2015, 01:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Mikesmoparperformance on January 11, 2016, 05:31:29 PM
Respect for making this happen!! Is I saw the car I would think that one is gone.. To far.. But you are taking that challenges with it Amazing!
[/qu

oddis

:popcrn:  impressive     :2thumbs:         

6spd68

Quote from: Pat1973charger on January 11, 2016, 11:54:48 PM
Thanks! That's a pretty awesome at you just scored and sounds like you had a hell of a fun adventure to boot!
I have the same condition by the way, hence why this is happening lol  :brickwall:  :-\

You also got the car for free, so you're basically covering the cost of the metal in a sense of what you would've paid for an RT shell from some schmuck with dollar signs in his eyes.  :2thumbs:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Baldwinvette77

Yeah, considering what you paid, you got a good amount of charger for your money  :2thumbs:

Pat1973charger

That's how I see it 6spd68 and Baldwin, just a little more work as well. You might say I paid around $110 for the shell, $10 gas running back and forth when I got it, the rest was the title process and taxes.

out there

Figured I'd use my first post to say this is a great project. I like your optimism and with that, this will be no problem. How many guys can say they have built their car from the ground up. Not me for sure   :2thumbs:

Pat1973charger

Quote from: out there on January 12, 2016, 06:15:43 PM
Figured I'd use my first post to say this is a great project. I like your optimism and with that, this will be no problem. How many guys can say they have built their car from the ground up. Not me for sure   :2thumbs:

Thanks! And welcome to the site! I'm sure you'll love it here!

Pat1973charger

Small update, I added some bracing. I guess I got a little ahead of myself cutting and drilling and forgot to make sure I have a point to go back to. I also removed the rotted and torched up left outer wheelhouse and test fit the new one. I am impressed at the fitment considering it's a goodmark part. Next time I go at it I think I will work on removing the twisted right wheel houses. The bracing is fitted into the notches on the a piller so I can use it to locate the new roof structure when I do that. The rear part of the bracing is bolted to the roof in factory holes also to be used as a guide when reinstalling the new roof. I also cut out the old torsion crossmember and test fit the new one.

sorry for crappy pics took them with my phone

Baldwinvette77

Dreamcar

"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Pat1973charger

Removed the lower window frame/roof webbing to gain access to the twisted package tray end support. Started working the end support back into shape. Not too bad so far for a auto mechanic not a body man lol

Maxed

Wow, I just read through this entire thread and I have to say that is one of the most intense restorations I have ever seen. Any updates?

Pat1973charger

I have been at it but haven't put together an update yet.

charger chris

i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Pat1973charger

Need to pick the brains of you guy who have installed new quarters and outer rockers on your 2nd gen chargers. I moched my right quarter on to ensure the door jamb,wheelhouse and rear roof structure was all where it needs to be. All seems well but where the quarter meets the rocker on the side there is a gap. What I mean is the rocker dips in to accept the qaurter to lay flush, from the edge of the quarter to the edge of the dip there is about a 1/2" or so gap. Quarter is aligned with the jamb and fits in all other contact areas well. I rechecked my door opening measurements and those are right. I also checked the measurement from the front edge of the rocker to the front edge of the qaurter seam at the rocker and It was within 1/8" from original to the new parts. Just wondering if other people have run into this? I can't see how it will matter as it's covered by lead or whatever type of filler is used. Thanks in Advanvce.

Dino

If I'm understanding this right you're talking about a tolerance gap. The recessed part on the rocker skin is wider than it should be but that's possibly done on purpose to make the part fit all Chargers seeing they have such loose tolerances.

Once welded you can fill it with lead or filler but you can also mark where your quarter ends on the rocker and hammer part of the recess outward to close the gap and fill it with weld only.

If this is not what you're talking about then my bad!

Got pics?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Pat1973charger

I do have a pic I will try and get it loaded after work. Seems as though we are talking the same area. The recess for the quarter to lay flat against the rocker. I didn't have much luck looking through the threads on here of a Pick that area. I assumed it was made a little large ok purpose but was not 100% sure. My rockers are goodmark that I bought a couple of years ago for my other charger (before I knew better) but besides this they seem to fit great and they came with the bracing already inside. The only part I am totally dissatisfied with is the torsion crossmember, it is junk.

Charger-Bodie

Pat, you will need to shrink or pie cut that area. Otherwise it will bunch up there. Make sure you have a straight edge handy too.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Pat1973charger

Ok, any photos or more info on what you mean or where the cut needs to be?

mopar4don

Hi Pat,
(according to CDR) the valance corners attach to the quarters first then the ends of the cross member are bent to line up with the valance corner flange.
Here is his link. Look on page 20 about 2/3 down.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,90903.475.html

Pat1973charger

Hi Don, thanks for the link, definitely good info for when I get there. What I am talking about right now is the front end of the quarter where it sits against the rocker. I have a pic but can't attach it from my phone.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: mopar4don on March 15, 2016, 11:41:21 AM
Hi Pat,
(according to CDR) the valance corners attach to the quarters first then the ends of the cross member are bent to line up with the valance corner flange.
Here is his link. Look on page 20 about 2/3 down.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,90903.475.html

I totally agree with Charlie on that portion. But I was referring to the join of the quarter to the rocker at the rear most edge of the door opening .
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemi-hampton

This gap is filled in with lead from the factory, the lead rarely goes all the way under rocker. Sample pic of the area below. after some rust work repair. LEON.

1969 R/T SE