News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

autometer gauges

Started by Wicked72, February 18, 2015, 09:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

Im thinking about using autometer z series gauges. the speedo is mechanical so it requires the cable. does anyone know if i need to use just their cable they offer or can i use the factory cable?
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

TexasStroker

Not sure what 3rd Gens had...I run a Z Series in my Duster and it has a threaded input...factory cable was the clip on one like my Charger...

So, if you have a push on end, then yes...you'll need a new cable.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

jaak

Quote from: TexasStroker on February 19, 2015, 05:17:44 AM
Not sure what 3rd Gens had...I run a Z Series in my Duster and it has a threaded input...factory cable was the clip on one like my Charger...

So, if you have a push on end, then yes...you'll need a new cable.

Yes most aftermarket mechanical speedos, thread on to the speedometer like they do at the trans. They don't use a plastic push collar like the factory ones do. They are available in several lengths... not sure if the one in the link is the one you need, but it will be it or similar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedometer-Cable-63-5-8-18-Autometer-Speedometers-Manual-Cable-/331475186774?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d2d75f456&vxp=mtr

Jason

Wicked72

That looks like it will help alot!. what about the gear inside that trans? i assume ill have to have the right one based on correct speed?

TexasStroker

If your car is stock, you should be fine...

The speedometer gear needs to be changed to compensate for rear gear and tire changes...you might get close with some combos, but if things have changed a lot it could be way off as well.

Easiest thing to do if you are driving is to install the cable (make sure to route it in the clips, or tie it up to avoid headers etc) and then go run side-by-side a friend in a late model...Check low speed, 30, and hwy speed...you can then pick up how close you are, or if you are showing 95 around 70 etc.  People always tell me if you jack the car up high enough on the LH side and move real quick when changing you won't lose tranny fluid...I've yet to see someone not lose any, lol.  Just keep a rag handy!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Nacho-RT74

a friend of mine got an EQUUS cheap gauges setup on his Dart... had to get a pre 67 Mopar speedo wire, which is threated on gauge end
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

jaak

Quote from: Wicked72 on February 21, 2015, 06:15:29 PM
That looks like it will help alot!. what about the gear inside that trans? i assume ill have to have the right one based on correct speed?

Like TexasStroker said, it's based on gear ratio and tire diameter. Here is the chart.

Jason

Wicked72

that chart is fantastic! That will help big time. Ill see what it going to take for the cable once get he gauges. would be nice to get an electric speed sensor one but my budget laughs at me. so the z series might be the ticket.

Wicked72

just got done looking at those equus gauges. and i like the price even more! and they have good reviews.

jaak

I bought equus gauges for my 68 because it is a budget build. I went with the 7200 series, just because they are somewhat similar to the factory gauges (white font and needles). I haven't used them yet, but installed them in my cluster. I had to modify the housing and bezel to get everything to fit, they were driver quality parts, so I didn't mind. I just wanted nice looking, working gauges without breaking the bank. IIRC, I spent about 180 on all the gauges, and sold off the originals as cores (got 80 for them on eBay) So that means I got about $100 in my 'redone' cluster. I still have to get a speedo cable.

Jason

myk

Thanks for posting that.  Your work is so good it's actually making me rethink my Dakota Digital plans...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

moparnation74

Quote from: jaak on February 24, 2015, 10:05:59 PM
I bought equus gauges for my 68 because it is a budget build. I went with the 7200 series, just because they are somewhat similar to the factory gauges (white font and needles). I haven't used them yet, but installed them in my cluster. I had to modify the housing and bezel to get everything to fit, they were driver quality parts, so I didn't mind. I just wanted nice looking, working gauges without breaking the bank. IIRC, I spent about 180 on all the gauges, and sold off the originals as cores (got 80 for them on eBay) So that means I got about $100 in my 'redone' cluster. I still have to get a speedo cable.

Jason

Jaak,

That looks perfect :2thumbs:  Great work!

Nacho-RT74

I build a custom cluster for the Dart with the 8000 series... and used stock underdash wiring to feeded without cut a wire... reused original pin kind terminals just reisntalling on a 12 cavities female and got the matching male setup for it. So in case to get back to stock cluster, just need to reinstal back the terminals to the original round multipin conector

also used the VINTAGE USA warning lights panel

here you can see the plug used to PLUG IT INTO THE STOCK HARNESS without cut a wire, just changed the round plug from harness to square 12 leads female

I did IN FACT match the stock color wires on the male lead from cluster harness to reach every function on gauges splicing them then on leds panel and terminals on gauges ( where required )

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Nacho-RT74

and as mentioned, mids 60 Mopars speedo wires are the ones to be used.

jaak

Quote from: myk on February 25, 2015, 06:30:14 AM
Thanks for posting that.  Your work is so good it's actually making me rethink my Dakota Digital plans...

Quote from: moparnation74 on February 25, 2015, 08:51:54 AM

That looks perfect :2thumbs:  Great work!

Thanks, guys.

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on February 25, 2015, 10:46:35 AM
I build a custom cluster for the Dart with the 8000 series... and used stock underdash wiring to feeded without cut a wire... reused original pin kind terminals just reisntalling on a 12 cavities female and got the matching male setup for it. So in case to get back to stock cluster, just need to reinstal back the terminals to the original round multipin conector

also used the VINTAGE USA warning lights panel

Nacho, nice work on the Dart Cluster.  :2thumbs:

Jason

TexasStroker

Nothing wrong with Equus...I know several guys running them with no issue.  Cluster looks nice!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Nacho-RT74

they are cheap, and in fact they FEEL cheap once in hands, LOL... but seem to be good enough

myk

Quote from: jaak on February 24, 2015, 10:05:59 PM

Jason

So...you're going to have to get a threaded speedo cable, right?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

jaak

Quote from: myk on March 06, 2015, 05:34:05 AM

So...you're going to have to get a threaded speedo cable, right?

Yes, just haven't got it yet.

Jason

Dino

Great work Jason.   :2thumbs:

That is a real nice alternative to the stock gauges.   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

Quote from: Dino on March 06, 2015, 11:07:01 AM
Great work Jason.   :2thumbs:

That is a real nice alternative to the stock gauges.   :yesnod:

I'm probably going to go that route.  Dropping a grand or more on the Dakota stuff won't yield me a better performing or looking cluster IMO...

Dino

Quote from: myk on March 06, 2015, 04:39:46 PM
Quote from: Dino on March 06, 2015, 11:07:01 AM
Great work Jason.   :2thumbs:

That is a real nice alternative to the stock gauges.   :yesnod:

I'm probably going to go that route.  Dropping a grand or more on the Dakota stuff won't yield me a better performing or looking cluster IMO...

For your application I have to agree.  The Dakota gauges may read more accurately, but it wil be marginal and not applicable to anything but a racecar.  I think the Equis gauges look right at home and they don't break the bank so I say go for it my good buddy.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.