News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aluminum Radiator for 1968 Charger 440

Started by Chris 69, February 19, 2015, 03:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris 69

The stock radiator is leaking, so I've been researching this site for aluminum radiators. Seems that many are purchased off Ebay.

Has anyone recently installed an aluminum radiator in a setup similar to mine? Car is a '68 Charger, 440ci, 4-speed, (originally 383ci, auto). The stock radiator was from the 383ci/auto setup, but I had it re-cored to 3-rows in 2006.

1. What make/model did you use? How many rows? How do you like the performance?
2. Does the radiator use the stock mounting points, or were modification required?
3. What fan shroud did you use, and was the shroud direct bolt-in?
4. Were the hose connections in the same place as stock?
5. Any opinions on painting the front of it black so it doesn't show through the grill (seems like the paint would act as insulation and prevent heat transfer).

Thanks, Chris

mopar0166

I love my 4 row champion   :cheers:    good product for the money  :2thumbs:

Chris 69

Quote from: mopar0166 on February 19, 2015, 03:55:54 PM
I love my 4 row champion   :cheers:    good product for the money  :2thumbs:

Thank you for the input. I'll be checking out Champion's website.

How was the fit, did it bolt up into the stock mounting locations? Do you run a shroud?

Chris 69

Also,

Looks like my radiator is Part #2582958, a 22" radiator.

How difficult is it to upgrade to a 26"? Are the mounting holes for a 26" radiator factory installed even when a 22" radiator is installed? Do I even need a 26" or will a 22" work for my application?

Chris

jaak

I rebuilt my 440 in my R/T to stock specs, so I purchased a 3-row Champion Radiator. They are a lot of folks that don't like them, but I have been happy with mine. There are a couple of minor mods I had to do, it didn't drop right in. One is there is a rib on the core support (now keep in mind, mine is a 26" core, that hits on the upper right hand corner. You either got to A. cut out a small portion of the core support where the rib is, or B. (this is what I did) I simply placed a 3/16" (IIRC) shim between the core support and radiator at all 4 bolts. The other mod I did was to the radiator, where the shroud attaches to the radiator, the flange is so thick (because it is aluminum, the factory U-nuts wouldn't slide on there. Well since the flange is so thick, I simply tapped the holes (intended for the u-nuts) with a 5/16" tap then you can use short (3/4" long, IIRC) 5/16th bolt to directly attach the shroud to the radiator. Oh yeah one other mod I did (just personal preference) I scuffed up the radiator with a red scotchbrite pad and painted it flat black. 2 reasons, one, an aluminum radiator looks funky through the charger grill , and too It made the radiator somewhat more 'stock' looking, a lot of people at first glance doesn't realize it has an aluminum radiator in it.

Member Moparstuart on here is a Champion distributor, he also has a write up about the issues I talked about when he installed one on his car.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,32617.msg791242.html#msg791242

Jason

A383Wing

I'm running the 2 row radiators with 1" tubes.....I responded to you PM here

Bryan

68CoronetRT

If possible. Run a shroud. It made a world of difference on hot days in the cooling department.

jaak

Also wanted to note, I am using a Chrysler Shoud, no it is not the correct one for the charger, need to look up the numbers on it and see what it is actually for. I did have to trim it a little, but that was because it is not actually for a charger, don't think that had anything to do with the radiator.

Chris 69

Quote from: A383Wing on February 19, 2015, 05:42:12 PM
I'm running the 2 row radiators with 1" tubes.....I responded to you PM here

Bryan

Got it. Thank you Bryan, that was very helpful info!

Chris 69

Quote from: jaak on February 19, 2015, 05:10:50 PM
I rebuilt my 440 in my R/T to stock specs, so I purchased a 3-row Champion Radiator. They are a lot of folks that don't like them, but I have been happy with mine. There are a couple of minor mods I had to do, it didn't drop right in. One is there is a rib on the core support (now keep in mind, mine is a 26" core, that hits on the upper right hand corner. You either got to A. cut out a small portion of the core support where the rib is, or B. (this is what I did) I simply placed a 3/16" (IIRC) shim between the core support and radiator at all 4 bolts. The other mod I did was to the radiator, where the shroud attaches to the radiator, the flange is so thick (because it is aluminum, the factory U-nuts wouldn't slide on there. Well since the flange is so thick, I simply tapped the holes (intended for the u-nuts) with a 5/16" tap then you can use short (3/4" long, IIRC) 5/16th bolt to directly attach the shroud to the radiator. Oh yeah one other mod I did (just personal preference) I scuffed up the radiator with a red scotchbrite pad and painted it flat black. 2 reasons, one, an aluminum radiator looks funky through the charger grill , and too It made the radiator somewhat more 'stock' looking, a lot of people at first glance doesn't realize it has an aluminum radiator in it.

Member Moparstuart on here is a Champion distributor, he also has a write up about the issues I talked about when he installed one on his car.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,32617.msg791242.html#msg791242

Jason

Thank you Jason.

A couple more questions for you:

1. Did you have any clearance issues between the radiator and fan? (I'm assuming your running the stock fan).

2. Curious on the part # of your shroud. I have to buy one, but also still undecided on 22" or 26".

Chris

Chris 69

Quote from: 68CoronetRT on February 19, 2015, 07:37:48 PM
If possible. Run a shroud. It made a world of difference on hot days in the cooling department.

Yes, definitely want to run a shroud. Redding, CA gets pretty hot in the summer. The current radiator did OK without the shroud when the 383 was in the car, but I definitely notice the temperature creeping upwards on hot days with the 440.

Chris 69

Any opinions on running a 22" aluminum radiator (as opposed to 26") with my setup ('68 Charger, 440ci (approx 450hp), 4-speed)?

Chris

justcruisin

I run a 22" on my 500hp 440 with no issues, although when it comes to radiators the more surface area you have the better. The key to keeping cool with the 22" rad is good air flow at idle.
This is my set up:

22" Champion aluminium 3 row with 3/4" tubes. (special order for the 3/4 tubes but I suspect 2 rows of 1" tubes would be OK).
6 blade aluminium fan on HD clutch.
Custom shroud.
17" Derale high volume fan in front on 190 thermo switch.
180 high flow stat.
High volume water pump.

Engine never seen temps over 190.
Clearance between radiator and fan clutch is 1" but this is on a 71 R/T.

jaak

Quote from: Chris 69 on February 19, 2015, 11:45:09 PM

Thank you Jason.

1. Did you have any clearance issues between the radiator and fan? (I'm assuming your running the stock fan).

2. Curious on the part # of your shroud. I have to buy one, but also still undecided on 22" or 26".

Chris

Chris,
On the first question, there is no clearance issues with the fan, even though I had to shim the radiator out a little, still plenty of clearance.

About the shroud I would have to look and see the number. Like I said it is from another model, if you see in the pic, it has a ridge around the center of it, I had to trim that ridge where the radiator hoses hook up (if you look closely at pic you can see it notched out at the upper rad hose). But I would suspect if you had a shroud that was actually from a charger, I don't think there would be no issues.

Jason

mopar0166

The fit was decent and it didn't take much to mount it in the stock spot,   im also running  a 4 row rad with electric fans.  only difference between the row s in the width.  I know a lot of guys run a 3 row with a mech fan.    I haven't heard any horror stories in my experience with them yet

bill440rt

I have a Griffin radiator, Exact Fit.
VERY happy with it.
This is a 26" radiator bolted to a modified original 22" rad support, 440-6 auto-OD. I also run an electric fan, however the Griffin rads have provisions to mount a stock shroud to them.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Chris 69

Quote from: jaak on February 20, 2015, 09:52:20 AM
Quote from: Chris 69 on February 19, 2015, 11:45:09 PM

Thank you Jason.

Chris

Chris,
On the first question, there is no clearance issues with the fan, even though I had to shim the radiator out a little, still plenty of clearance.

About the shroud I would have to look and see the number. Like I said it is from another model, if you see in the pic, it has a ridge around the center of it, I had to trim that ridge where the radiator hoses hook up (if you look closely at pic you can see it notched out at the upper rad hose). But I would suspect if you had a shroud that was actually from a charger, I don't think there would be no issues.

Jason

Thank you Jason. :cheers:

Chris 69

Quote from: mopar0166 on February 20, 2015, 11:08:55 AM
The fit was decent and it didn't take much to mount it in the stock spot,   im also running  a 4 row rad with electric fans.  only difference between the row s in the width.  I know a lot of guys run a 3 row with a mech fan.    I haven't heard any horror stories in my experience with them yet

Quote from: bill440rt on February 20, 2015, 06:00:33 PM
I have a Griffin radiator, Exact Fit.
VERY happy with it.
This is a 26" radiator bolted to a modified original 22" rad support, 440-6 auto-OD. I also run an electric fan, however the Griffin rads have provisions to mount a stock shroud to them.

Thanks guys. Haven't heard of Griffin. Looks like I''l be doing more research!

bill440rt

http://www.griffinrad.com/

They offer several different styles, in 26" & 22" configurations. 1 or 2 row radiators. The Exact-Fit line is designed to fit like stock. I have a 2-row 26" Exact-Fit, you might have interference installing a clutch fan however with a 1-row there should be no problems. They also offer built in tranny cooler fittings as well. Think of a stock looking radiator, only in aluminum. If painted black it could pass as a stock radiator to the casual observer.
Best to talk to them about your configuration or look at their online catalog. They are more expensive than Champion, but worth it IMHO.

Here's a shot of mine with the electric fan setup, I left it bare but polished it.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

myk

No mechanical fan-I've been wanting to try that...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

v21hemicharger

I went with a Wizard Radiator and shroud along with a viscious fan and jag clutch.  I'm using the 2 row 1 1/4 inch tubes.  I live down the road in Orland and couldn't keep the 512 ci cool.  On the 110 degree days I run no more than 200.  Anything below 100 degree day it doesn't go over 180. 
http://www.wizardcooling.com/Mopar-p/1639-100.htm

Chris 69

Quote from: bill440rt on February 21, 2015, 09:02:17 AM
http://www.griffinrad.com/

They offer several different styles, in 26" & 22" configurations. 1 or 2 row radiators. The Exact-Fit line is designed to fit like stock. I have a 2-row 26" Exact-Fit, you might have interference installing a clutch fan however with a 1-row there should be no problems. They also offer built in tranny cooler fittings as well. Think of a stock looking radiator, only in aluminum. If painted black it could pass as a stock radiator to the casual observer.
Best to talk to them about your configuration or look at their online catalog. They are more expensive than Champion, but worth it IMHO.

Here's a shot of mine with the electric fan setup, I left it bare but polished it.

I'll have to call them. From their website, it looks like I'd have to stick with the "Exact Fit" line if I plan to go with the 22". Trans cooler is not an issue as my car is a 4-speed.

Thank you for the info Bill.

Oh, and FYI, that's one sweet setup you got there!  :coolgleamA:

Chris 69

Quote from: v21hemicharger on February 22, 2015, 07:53:08 AM
I went with a Wizard Radiator and shroud along with a viscious fan and jag clutch.  I'm using the 2 row 1 1/4 inch tubes.  I live down the road in Orland and couldn't keep the 512 ci cool.  On the 110 degree days I run no more than 200.  Anything below 100 degree day it doesn't go over 180. 
http://www.wizardcooling.com/Mopar-p/1639-100.htm

V21, thank you for the link to the Wizard site. That's good to know that the 2-row keeps your 512 cool during these north state summers. Currently, when it's 100+ outside I don't even think of driving the Charger as the temp tends to creep.

Your link went to the 22". Is that what your're running, or do you have the 26"?

Have you ever brought your car to Redding for Kool April Nites?

Chris

john108

Chris 69

The picture you show is a white 68 charger.
I was at the 2013 Cool April nights and don't remember seeing a white '68.
Not many 68's.
Did you re-paint? or were you not there?
John

Chris 69

Quote from: john108 on February 23, 2015, 04:16:31 PM
Chris 69

The picture you show is a white 68 charger.
I was at the 2013 Cool April nights and don't remember seeing a white '68.
Not many 68's.
Did you re-paint? or were you not there?
John

Hi John,

I wasn't in the cruise in 2013 (by choice) and 2014 (in the middle of motor/trans swap). However, I did do the cruise each year 2007-2012, but never the 'static' show. Still undecided about this year though.

Car has always been white, but I painted the stripes on in 2009.

Chris