News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is my 23 spline 4 speed setup worth??

Started by garner7555, February 24, 2015, 07:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garner7555

Many years ago I purchased a 440 and 4 speed for my charger.  Interesting enough i pulled these parts out of a 50s Chevy pickup.   :shruggy:     Story was that they were low milage, guy wrecked his car and started putting the drivetrain in the Chevy truck.  In pulling it out it was obvious that they never got it finished or running.  Now my plans have changed and I am going to run a 727.   

What I have is a 23 spline 4 speed, cast iron bellhousing, really stout clutch I had built, resurfaced flywheel (1970 440 steel crank), shifter (I believe it was Hurst, needs rebuild), Clutch pedals, 4 speed floor hump, most of the Z bar and linkage I think, hydraulic clutch setup (what I was using)

Years ago I looked inside it and everything including the synchronizers looked great.  I would advise new gaskets, seals, and a good inspection to the buyer.

Now the magic question, what should I ask for this package?
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

moparnation74

Looking at it from a buyer perspective.  I would look at the transmission as a rebuild.  The other pieces are cost of the parts and cost of the transmission.  Last ones I sold was for 250, bellhousing cast 100-150, hurst unit depends on shape, 4 spd hump maybe 100.00, clutch/surfaced flywheel?.  I would sell as a package price.  Try 600 and go from there and it also depends on where you live as far as what you can get out of it.

ChargerST

I would try to get $1000 - some buyers are paying more to buy a complete kit as it saves the hassle of sourcing everything separately.

garner7555

I was expecting more in the 1000 or more range.   :shruggy:   Mainly because it is a fairly complete package deal.  I am in Alabama.  These 4 speeds are not easily located around me, especially in a package.   But it is what it is, and it's worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay.  Just asking opinions of where my starting point should be.   :scratchchin:    Thanks for the opinions guys.   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

garner7555

Any other opinions on a fair asking price?   Should I sell as package or separately?   Thanks.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Cooter

We get between $400-600 for 23 spline 4 speeds here. Another $200-400 for bellhousings, another say $400 for the rest.

If that Yankee f*** Tony DAgustino (Tony's parts) can GET $3500.00 for a used kit, I don't see why $1500.00 is very bad.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

garner7555

Well said Cooter.  I realize I will never get 3500 (or even 2000 for that matter) like the "parts companies", but I think it's not too common to find a used package this complete.   :shruggy:   :Twocents:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

moparnation74

Quote from: Cooter on February 25, 2015, 07:35:51 AM
We get between $400-600 for 23 D's pline 4 speeds here. Another $200-400 for bellhousib gs, another say $400 for the rest.

If that Yankee f*** Tony DAgustino (Tony's parts) can GET $3500.00 for a used kit, I don't see why $1500.00 is very bad.
Getting that and asking that are two different ideas.

Realistically, start high and go from there.  I can only compare the area I was selling them in and the market/demand was not there.  Hopefully, you get closer to 1k but the demand is limited.

garner7555

Thanks for the replies guys.   I may be better off to sell the stuff separately, I just figured it might do better as a set.  :shruggy:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Cooter

Asking wrong people. Here, it would seem that a 4-speed set up is only worth what cheap ass Charger guys are willing to attempt to say it's worth. Iknow damn good and well that 'kit' has SOLD for $2000.00 before.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

garner7555

Thanks for the replies guys.  :2thumbs:  I will be putting it up for sell soon, that will truly tell what it's worth I suppose.  :yesnod:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

moparnation74

Quote from: Cooter on February 28, 2015, 10:53:44 AM
Askibg wrong people. Here, it would seem that a 4-speedset up is only worth what cheap ass Charger guys are willing to attempt to say it's worth. Iknow damn good and well that 'kit' has SOLD for $2000.00 before.
Cooter,

"cheap ass charger guys"  :shruggy: I hope you keep that thought in your mind whenever you try to sell something similar in today's market.  Parts you own and not your buddies stories!  You will find out the harsh reality that the muscle car boom is not what it once was.  All of us here including myself try to get every penny we can out of parts.  Depending on the state you reside, economy, shipping costs, and part demand. Will drive what one can get out of it.  

1974dodgecharger

why are people paying 2 grand for a used 23 spine when you can get a perfectly rebuilt one from jaime for 1 grand? 

garner7555

Just to clear things up,  neither me or Cooter said the 4 speed alone would bring 2000.  And actually never said my kit would bring 2000.  Cooter just said he knew of a kit that brought 2000.

Now as far as the rebuilt trans. for 1000,  then call and price the parts I'm including- bellhousing, clutch (custom built clutch suppose to be better than anything off the shelf), pressure plate, flywheel, hydraulic slave cylinder setup, hurst shifter mechanism with all linkage, new transmission mount, 4 speed pedals, shifter hump for the floor of a B-body, Z-bar and linkage (if you dont want to use hydraulic setup).     

The parts I'm including is why the price will be more.  I agree, the trans. alone is not worth 1000.  :yesnod:    :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Cooter

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on February 28, 2015, 11:54:39 PM
why are people paying 2 grand for a used 23 spine when you can get a perfectly rebuilt one from jaime for 1 grand?  

That's because John, you're not actually READING the threads and just skimming over them.
nobody's saying $2k for a used 4-speed. For EVERYTHING IN A KIT FORM to swap an auto to manual.
I'm willing to bet you source everything separately, you will spend WELL OVER $2k especially, with a console.

But alas, "Cheap ass Charger guys" think it should be affordable($1000.00), yet will pay over $1500.00 for some repro plastic grille.....SMH.

How many right here shake their heads when what they deem as "delusional" sellers are actually selling those Chargers at those prices? Yet, attempt to try and claim that's not what happens? If it sells, then that's the market at that time. Period.

Cooter

Quote from: moparnation74 on February 28, 2015, 11:34:57 PM
Askibg wrong people. Here, it would seem that a 4-speedset up is only worth what cheap ass Charger guys are willing to attempt to say it's worth. Iknow damn good and well that 'kit' has SOLD for $2000.00 before.
Cooter,

"cheap ass charger guys"  :shruggy: I hope you keep that thought in your mind whenever you try to sell something similar in today's market.  Parts you own and not your buddies stories!  You will find out the harsh reality that the muscle car boom is not what it once was.  All of us here including myself try to get every penny we can out of parts.  Depending on the state you reside, economy, shipping costs, and part demand. Will drive what one can get out of it.  

You must have not seen where I stated a "kit" SOLD for $2k. "Buddies stories"? Lmao. Nice try.
hadda intake up for sale for over three months. Was selling in kit form only with cam/t chain/intake for 94-2001 Ram truck. MOPAR intake too. Seperately, parts were well over my $600.00 asking price.
yet, I kept getting "just need intake"....
So, I put it up for $475.00. ( new was only $488.00)...here come the whiners....
my reply?? "Ok, then buy the entire set up for the $600.00 as it's the better deal!!!!!"

Finally kept getting offers on just intake. Bottom line? I sold intake for $500.00 USED and T chain for a little over $50.00 new.

Is what I stated above near impossible as you'd have folks believe? No.

I have that thought in my head every time I attempted to give a genuine deal on my General Lee here.
oh I had plenty attempting to tell me just as you have, how soft the musclecar market is and I'm delusional for attempting to get $16k for my car with a reconstructed title.
and just like before with the intake, I simply sat on it and watched the offers roll in. Begging me to sell at that price. I heard things like "wow, looks really good for that price. I was expecting far worse"
"I can deal With a little rust for as cheap as it is"

I decided it'll rot in the yard now........just for pure D spite.

1974dodgecharger

we are cheap becuase we are jelous of Ford/Chevy guys who can buy crate motors for 1500 bucks  :icon_smile_big:  I aint gonna lie I see those prices from those dudes makes me wonder WTF am I doing with my 68, but oh yeah its because I love the lines  :angel:

Quote from: Cooter on March 02, 2015, 04:02:50 AM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on February 28, 2015, 11:54:39 PM

That's because John, you're not actually READING the threads and just skimming over them.
nobody's saying $2k for a used 4-speed. For EVERYTHING IN A KIT FORM to swap an auto to manual.
I'm willing to bet you source everything separately, you will spend WELL OVER $2k especially, with a console.

But alas, "Cheap ass Charger guys" think it should be affordable($1000.00), yet will pay over $1500.00 for some repro plastic grille.....SMH.

How many right here shake their heads when what they deem as "delusional" sellers are actually selling those Chargers at those prices? Yet, attempt to try and claim that's not what happens? If it sells, then that's the market at that time. Period.

moparnation74

Quote from: Cooter on March 02, 2015, 04:23:19 AM
Quote from: moparnation74 on February 28, 2015, 11:34:57 PM
Cooter,

You must have not seen where I stated a "kit" SOLD for $2k. "Buddies stories"? Lmao. Nice try.
hadda intake up for sale for over three months. Was selling in kit form only with cam/t chain/intake for 94-2001 Ram truck. MOPAR intake too. Seperately, parts were well over my $600.00 asking price.
yet, I kept getting "just need intake"....
So, I put it up for $475.00. ( new was only $488.00)...here come the whiners....
my reply?? "Ok, then buy the entire set up for the $600.00 as it's the better deal!!!!!"

Finally kept getting offers on just intake. Bottom line? I sold intake for $500.00 USED and T chain for a little over $50.00 new.

Is what I stated above near impossible as you'd have folks believe? No.

I have that thought in my head every time I attempted to give a genuine deal on my General Lee here.
oh I had plenty attempting to tell me just as you have, how soft the musclecar market is and I'm delusional for attempting to get $16k for my car with a reconstructed title.
and just like before with the intake, I simply sat on it and watched the offers roll in. Begging me to sell at that price. I heard things like "wow, looks really good for that price. I was expecting far worse"
"I can deal With a little rust for as cheap as it is"

I decided it'll rot in the yard now........just for pure D spite.

Were did I state it was impossible, Cooter?  As noted in the earlier post I said ask high and go from there.  I do not know your car and not my place to comment.  The muscle car market is soft and as you noted above you are seeing that firsthand.  Do any of us find that concerning, YES!

Cooter

Nwcharger

3 years ago I bought an 18 spline 4 speed with bell housing, flywheel, clutch, hurst shifter, hydro master/slave cylinders, drive line for 700 bucks.
1969 coronet wagon

c00nhunterjoe

I just bought another spate 23 spline for 200.  There is currently an 18 spline local to me for 800 i think.

ryanboyd

If you still have everything I would like to buy it, Im looking for everything except for the floor, console, and pedals so if you have everything else shoot me a price, thanks
440 4 speed General lee in progress