News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger 500

Started by Rat Exterminator, March 01, 2015, 06:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kowal

Quote from: Redmanf1 on March 09, 2015, 02:36:01 AM
I believe if for any reason the car was checked into by the law or insurance company such as an accident the car would be confiscated. At least we know the body is not stolen so as proof of such the title is shown as evidence. The next thing they would be wanting to know is who changed the tags. Then the can of worms is opened with multiple charges involved. It is illegal to pull a Vin tag and install it on another body issued a vin, it's that simple. The legal way to use multiple issued vin parts is to have proof of purchase of most items and then have a state vin issued. This in which would cancel the whole reason to rebody..

I will give North Carolina some credit here.   They send a state trooper from the stolen vehicles group to inspect all classic cars that are titled.   They spend solid time checking the VIN and proof that the car is what it is.   A friend of mine got a pick up truck from the "world's largest" auction and North Carolina figured out it was actually three trucks and issued him a salvage title and came and pop riveted a new VIN plate to the frame.   A pain to arrange, but better than most states...South Carolina seems to take your word that the vehicle is even in the state.

My Charger is one of the early ones where the fender tag and the Vin have different letter prefixes (XS, XX), took weeks for North Carolina to investigate and then eventually come back and agree that it was OK.  
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

charger_fan_4ever

Transfer the vin back to the 500 shell sell the clone with its original numbers back in place to fund the restore on the c500.  :popcrn: :popcrn:

richRTSE

If the body numbers are still on the original 500 shell, then I'd definitely put everything back the way it should be...if I were to buy this car(s). If the body numbers are now on the current body with the matching dash vin, and the original shell is just a hulk with no numbers, no window plug, etc., I don't really see the point of going through all the trouble. Once all the numbers are cut off, what makes one shell different than another shell without numbers? What's done is done I guess, unfortunately....