News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Distributor wiring help needed

Started by Redmanf1, March 02, 2015, 07:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redmanf1

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am thinking about installing the original distributor. It has two spades that plug in beside the point wire (solenoid). Someone installed a performance mopar ignition, wiring and I guess taped up the original. I would like to see where the two spade wiring is supposed to be. What is the spade (solenoid) wiring for and is it needed. Where should the two lost wires be found?

Thanks
Nelson   

Arnie Cunningham

Others will chime in but I believe the box on the distributor controlled the anti-dieseling solenoid on the carb or altered the timing somewhat.  When I installed my stock distributor I did not hook these up.  The stock distributor is, I believe a 3438222 for the 4 barrel cars.  The six packs got a dual point.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

Redmanf1

Arnie, thanks for the reply.

I would like to find the wires and hook them up.

Thanks again

Nelson

Arnie Cunningham

I think I have photos of an untouched original with the wires still hooked up.  The wires have a part number on them.  I don't know if anyone makes the small harness that runs from the dist wires to the solenoid and main harness.  I will look for the photos.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

Redmanf1

John_Kunkel

The wire terminals are part of the emissions package, they power a solenoid inside the vacuum advance that retards the advance at hot idle.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

71 SE3834V

Here's a pic of the harness piece off of my '71. Don't know if it's the same or not.
The round terminal plugs into the harness near the coil and the other female end plugs into a terminal on the carb throttle stop.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Redmanf1

Thank you for the help. I do not have the idle stop for the carb... I guess that is something I will have to hunt for.

Nelson

Arnie Cunningham

While looking for the 3438262 number I came across this.  As you can see the plastic cover is a little different on some units.  The two part numbered wires are part of the NOS package.  Then there is another small harness like the one posted above that runs to the main wiring harness and to the idle stop solenoid.  I will see if I can find some photos.
http://www.hiltopautoparts.com/product/nos-mopar-vacuum-advance-unit-1970-1-383-440-cubic-inch-hp-engines/

Arnie Cunningham

OK, let's try this again.  Posting photos to this site has always been a pain.
These are the distributor.

Arnie Cunningham

These are the two short wires that plug into the distributor control box.

Arnie Cunningham

The photo above with the 867 wire may be part of the secondary harness.  I don't remember exactly.  Here are a few more shots of the secondary harness and the plastic connectors.

Arnie Cunningham

Arnie Cunningham

Carb

Arnie Cunningham

If you have a Plymouth 1970 B Body Service manual there is some information on this in the wiring section.  It can be challenging to sort it out but it is in there.

Redmanf1

Arnie, Thank you for going to the trouble to add the pictures and gather the info.

Thanks again
Nelson

Arnie Cunningham

My pleasure, good luck with the project.  As I mentioned before, we installed all the components and wiring for this on my car but left it unhooked.  I didn't want anything changing the timing or idle speed but I did want the correct appearance.

ACUDANUT

Redmanf1

Wanting to get back to stock look...

Thanks

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 04, 2015, 08:26:45 PM
Time to go with a an ECU UNIT. :cheers:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html