News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Project Hellbird

Started by oldcarnut, March 12, 2015, 10:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Well, there's the answer to a question that nobody asked. 

farm966

didnt realize you can buy a Hellcat engine already.....I guess it is all in who you know..and how many dead presidents you have.

70Sbird

Quote from: farm966 on March 12, 2015, 12:56:00 PM
didnt realize you can buy a Hellcat engine already.....I guess it is all in who you know..and how many dead presidents you have.

Looks like it's not so much a "crate motor" as a replacement assembly line engine for an existing Hellcat. $16,750 plus shipping from Plumfloored.com....I want to do this swap in my 71 /6 Dodge Demon. In my 'Bird...not so much

Scott Faulkner

TheAutoArchaeologist

It's actually neither.  They bought the black wrecked Hellcat Challenger, and grabbed the engine and transmission, misc other parts.

This is actually the 2nd HellBird in project right now.  There is another one being built by Icon Fab.

68X426

Is it a real Bird?  If not then I say go for the Hell install.

:popcrn:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Hemi Runner

As much as I love off the wall, over the top builds, even I know not to cut up an original bird. Hopefully, they do to.

TheAutoArchaeologist

Unfortunately both are real Superbirds.

Here is the other "HellBird" being produced.  Recently pulled out of a "barn"/"warehouse" after something like 25 years.

wingcar

Why would you want to do this to an original Superbird....bad idea...... :down:
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

DAY CLONA

Quote from: wingcar on March 13, 2015, 10:45:12 AM
Why would you want to do this to an original Superbird....bad idea...... :down:

I could see if they were putting a GM LS powerplant under the hood, some might cringe at that, but what's wrong with 707 HP GEN 3 HEMI ?...hopefully they transplant an OD tranny into it as well, in fact I'd take the build to the extreme and put a Cobra Mustang IRS under the rear (track width is near perfect for the swap)...it's just a factory hotrod, they're just hotrodding what the factory couldn't

moparfan

cool! I don't think you would have to cut it up to get it to work.

JB400

I'm wondering if the Hellcat will fit under the stock hood. :popcrn:

F8-4life

No way I would do that to an original bird.
Why not bring back a satellite from the dead and build it.
Or just build a clone.

Aero426

Quote from: moparfan on March 13, 2015, 04:57:23 PM
cool! I don't think you would have to cut it up to get it to work.

Getting it to fit may not be the problem as much as getting it to handle and stop. 

pettybird

Quote from: JB400 on March 13, 2015, 05:01:04 PM
I'm wondering if the Hellcat will fit under the stock hood. :popcrn:

This. 

Davtona

Quote from: F8-4life on March 13, 2015, 05:20:28 PM

No way I would do that to an original bird.

:iagree:  Should have left it in the barn. 

TheAutoArchaeologist

I agree, they should leave an original Superbird (or two) alone.  I know the white bird is "just" a 440 4-bbl with an auto and a bench seat.  But still. 

The while one is getting cut up 10 ways from Sunday with a completely new chassis.  Will it be cool, yes.  It is their car, they can do with it as they please.  But it will still hurt.

1RareBird

Just because someone can do something doesn't mean they should.
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

taxspeaker

Just because someone can do something doesn't mean they should.

:2thumbs:

Stevearino

It's not like they don't have the parts to make a clone. So why would you do this? :brickwall: I know not everybody is into restoration. I am certainly not but there is a finite number of real cars out there. You can start with a tube chassis and buy every piece of sheet metal from AMD to build a hellcat Superbird. Hell by the time they do all the modifications to make that car handle 707 HP there won't be much of anything original left anyway.
:rotz: :rotz:

TheAutoArchaeologist

I asked that exact question to the guy who bought the white Superbird.  If you were going to cut it all up and do all this, why do it to an original bird. 

His answer, "Because it was all there".

JB400

He must have gotten the white bird at a good bargain to cut it up like he wants.

djcarguy

Quote from: Devil on March 12, 2015, 05:58:57 PM
It's actually neither.  They bought the black wrecked Hellcat Challenger, and grabbed the engine and transmission, misc other parts.

This is actually the 2nd HellBird in project right now.  There is another one being built by Icon Fab.

DEVIL any pix or more info of other bird or hellcat donors???   tryed icon fab search got lots of home an condo builders listings???    that white looks like a mess ,ran hard an put away saltly to rot.  my guess its had several blown engines and the guts run out of it? thanks DJ.  seems like a rust free clone wood have put them way ahead on a build an budget?? :Twocents:

taxspeaker

I wish they would have bought a prowler to cut up-there are more of them and they needed more power anyway. Instead of Hellbird they could have called it SuperCat and fit into the prowler advertising image of a panther.

If they made it pink they could even call it the pink panthercat or the awhellcat.

Even better they could have removed all the seats in this pink prowler with a hellcat engine and called the driver's seat the pink panthercatbird seat.

Or I could stop with the coffee.

TheAutoArchaeologist

Here are the people doing the White "Hellbird".  They do more then just 4x4's.  

http://www.icon4x4.com/

I do not know more about the Hellcat engine.  I was just told that someone wrecked a black Hellcat Challenger and that the engine in the original post is the engine from that car.

There are currently NO crate Hellcat engines out there.  Ever single one is slotted for a production vehicle.  They have had such overwhelming interest in them, they had to do that.  So the only way to get an engine is out of a wrecked vehicle.  There are a few people taking pictures of some of the mule engines running around being tested at a few aftermarket companies, but they are not available for purchase.

Here's an article about how they can not keep up with demand.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/15/dodge-hellcat-orders-on-hold-unprecedented-demand/

I have a few pictures of the white bird before it went off to Icon.  Take a look here.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/HemiPwr70/library/Superbird

Ryan