News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 Charger hood clearance for CH4B? It runs

Started by b5blue, March 22, 2015, 09:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Nickrc3

...Neal, don't forget the coil relocation bracket, unless you prefer to mount the coil on the inner fender.

Regarding the carb spacer, I used the Edelbrock 1/2" wood type - http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/8723/10002/-1?parentProductId=743637#moreDetails

Also, finally solved the constant heat soaking issues, by simply switching to 'Rec' fuel. No more excessive engine cranking and stubborn start-ups.

b5blue

Thanks for the pic Nick, are you using the AR Engineering bracket?  :scratchchin: I switched to ethanol free premo myself but want to be able to use it if needed. My coil is a small square one that came with the Firecore RTR dizzy, it will be easy to mount.  :2thumbs:
  I'm going through all this to add A/C otherwise I'd never parted with the 6BBL. (The car is being setup for daily use and road trips.)

b5blue

Searching and Google-ing CH4B throttle cable, thanks to Nick's picture, I'm seeing numerous comments my standard 4BBL throttle bracket "should" just still work. (I may have a cable issue, not bracket.) Again I don't know what I do have now, just that it worked with the 6BBL?  :lol:  (My car was originally 318 2BBL, converted to 383 4BBL, 440 4BBL then had a TM-7 high rise added and when I bought it I installed a 6BBL... :eek2:)
  These are some of the very last unknown details of my car left to sort out.  :brickwall: (SOOO CLOSE.)

Nickrc3

... the coil relocation bracket (and fuel lines) were purchased from Fabulous Fabrications #303 - 666-9882.

I didn't need to modify the existing accelerator pedal cable - she's stock. One interesting point, I recently removed the accelerator cable from my second Charger (a 68'), which also had a six-pak induction system. The cable appeared identical to the 440-equipped 69' and measured 19.5" in length, therefore, I'm wondering why you are having difficulties with the length? Is the intake manifold throttle bracket of a different design or offset?

b5blue

I don't know just what cable I've got? (Just that it worked.) I see your cable is clamped on the black jacket not the steel sleeve. My 6BBL always clamped at the steel sleeve. No matter I've ordered a correct cable for the 4BBL after talking to Mancini Racing. Just to cover all my bases this week I had them throw an AR bracket in like BSB67 suggested. So basically I'll have almost every possible way to configure this thing and find the ideal solution. Am I wasting money...you bet! Am I having fun....not yet!
  I was gonna blow a few hundred bucks on myself this week anyway just for fun, so I'm blowing it on the car instead!  :lol:   

Nickrc3

QuoteI was gonna blow a few hundred bucks on myself this week anyway just for fun, so I'm blowing it on the car instead!

...yeah, I hear you Neal. I've always tried to reduce or eliminate paying for services which I could perform to a reasonable degree of quality, specifically home and auto maintenance/improvements.
The other thing which helped me reduce that car spending sting is establishing a savings account in which a pre-determined dollar amount is automatically withdrawn from my bi-monthly paycheck.
My philosophy, if you don't see it, you don't miss it! After a few months/years, you'd be amazed at the 'slush funds' accumulated.

Regarding your recent upgrade - from the recommendation of our fellow member/Moderator Ron (firefighter3931), the installation of a CH4B w/ ProForm carb made the most significant change to the drivability and performance of my vehicle. It literally woke-up the 440, and continues to impress me each time I get behind the wheel.

b5blue

Good to know you like it Nick!  :2thumbs: I'll end up pairing this with a set of Sidewinder heads. (A/C also.) With the kids grown, out of the house doing well, now is the time I can play around and this is my week to play!  :lol:
  I've a similar plan for my finances also.  :yesnod:

b5blue

Rick E's bracket came in fast, so fast I was at NAPA getting fittings and filters and missed the mailman! I picked it up today and see what he meant. It's VERY adjustable and has provision for the Lokar built in. The cable arrived as I took this first pic of the bracket!
  So Rick's affords 2 heights and the ability to angle the throttle cable and Lokar cable exactly to a straight shot.  :scratchchin: I found guys bitching on line that the Lokar cable setup has an issue with the fact that the ratio of pull from the carb end is not proper for the pull at the transmission end. Something of a concern but several replies assured it does work if adjusted correctly. Others may not have been using this throttle bracket set?

b5blue

I've started a topic on intake installation to see how/what others do. I know the variables stack, my block has not been decked and the 346 heads just cut to surface for flatness. My intake to head bolt holes had been wallered out so much somebody was having issue in the past. I'll be checking fitment carefully before installing and looking for good advise.  :scratchchin: 

b5blue

With the Denso ALT out of the way I installed a new Carter M6903 fuel pump using new 3/8th hose barbs and an NPT 90*. I'm adding a 3/8th NAPA Gold fuel filter that's see through in front of the pump until I replace the Tank, Sender/pickup and fuel lines with new. (Later.)

b5blue

The new throttle cable and 2nd bracket came in today. I pulled the old cable off a clearly it's much shorter. A test fit of the intake with just the valley pan looks like no gaskets are needed so things are coming together.
  I reinstalled the CH4B with RTV on the top of the oil dam walls front and back then used a very thin film of Permashield #85420 on the gasket areas on the heads. (It's like Hylomar Universal Blue rated for fuel.) Next a thin film of Permashield on the CH4B just around the intake ports and everything was snugged down. The RTV has to sit overnight to cure but I tightened down the intake gradually going cross side to side, front to back while kinda hitting with my fist to nest the intake to the valley pan. (Like an X pattern.) Tomorrow I'll test brackets for ideal and decide the best. (Still uncertain just what linkage I have for kickdown?)
Old and new cable, even pulled tight new is much longer? (Correct 4BBL 440 for 70 B Body.)
Old and new gas peddle ends, see the rubber grommet is shot on the old one. New grommet is just a plain hardware store pass through one but came with the new cable. 

b5blue

Seeing the new cable is longer and going off BSB67's advise I installed the 36.00 AR bracket first. Everything is lining up nicely and even kick down settings from the 6BBL are very close to ideal. The 1/2" spacer actually brings this combo up so it aligns just enough, any lower and the bracket would be sitting higher then ideal. The Proform throttle adapter bracket bolt at the top interferes with attaching the throttle cable end. The fix was to undo the throttle/kick down stud, attach the cable and pin, then put it's retain nut on. This being the simplest setup I'm going to proceed with it saving the other set of stuff for just in case.
I've got to highlight the fact that my kick down was cobbled together 20 years ago to work with the 6BBL and 4BBL part numbers on Year One's sight Do Not interchange? I've plenty of room for adjustment, not at the near end of adjustment as AR E. stated in the description for this bracket. (As this topic turned from a question to an explanation of findings.)  :2thumbs:  
Next check is the air cleaner.  

firefighter3931

Looks great Neal  :2thumbs:

Thanks for posting and explaining the process....valuable information for future reference. Keep up the good work !  :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

b5blue

Thank you for all your advise Ron!  :2thumbs: The dual snorkel air cleaner fits fine. I'll do a clearance check with some Play Dough next to find just how much space is left above the air cleaner.  (I know it clears as I've tested it, but just how much we'll see.  :scratchchin:)
  Pics not the greatest but I try to show details that may help others doing things a bit different. I can tell it's a good thing for me my air cleaner base is not dropped much.

b5blue

Ahh the smell of Play Dough takes be back. Looks better then I dared hope for.
First two before slamming the hood:
Next after:

b5blue

Still more than 1" at the part of the air cleaner lid on the end of the word "Barrel". I'll call it a good safe fit with a 1/2" spacer and a 70 up air cleaner. Hood pad might just clear?  :scratchchin:

b5blue

On to mounting the coil for the Firecore RTR dizzy. The 2 coil mount bolt holes are 5/16th 18 thread just as the 4 for the carb are. After some head scratching, measuring, checking and finding I've nothing of any help I picked up 2" aluminum flat bar and some 5 1/6" 18 bolts.
  I made this simple bracket that just fits. 

b5blue

Then I double checked fit and placement for clearance. This is the supplied RTR coil resting on top of the front bolt. (I'll make longer rubber tubes out of hose to hold the coil just above the bolt head to isolate it from rubbing.) It will just clear the air cleaner base nicely and not pickup heat from the block or heads with a bracket mounted elsewhere.
  This wouldn't have fit without the carb's 1/2" spacer so it's all working out pretty good. 

ACUDANUT

Since we are now talking about coils, I moved mine to the inner fender.  It says a lot cooler than on top a 200 plus degree engine.

b5blue

I know what you mean.  :2thumbs: Much later, after heads and A/C are added I'll be building a custom harness for the engine bay. I've a bunch of 40amp control relays and other stuff for the change out to final configuration.  :scratchchin: This was better than the 6BBL bracket that attaches to the rear pass. side intake bolts, it gets hotter back there. No telling where stuff may move until then. 

b5blue

IT'S ALIVE! After charging the battery and sucking some fuel up to the carb it fired right up. The choke worked nicely and I let it warm up a bit. I'll run a few heat cycles before hitting the road to check/adjust/test things.  :2thumbs:

b5blue