News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RTR Firecore install

Started by b5blue, April 25, 2015, 04:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

This is on a 70 Charger that had and engine harness made for the Mopar ECU conversion. Here's what I did after cutting open the wrap, removed ECU wires, located #1 splice and cut Blue with tracer and Brown off to use for "relay on" switch legs. See in pic #2 how I've retained the green and dark blue "field wires" for the ALT.

b5blue

I also removed the wires for the old Mopar Dist. completely. Were going to install 2 control relays that turn on both coil and electric choke. They are turned on and off from the brown (start) and blue (run) wires as the RTR is a full 12V system needing no resistor. The relays will draw power from the black ALT. output wire by a splice that ends up feeding full 12V to coil and electric choke on my carb. 
1 Adding relays, brown/blue now turn both relays on, white is ground for the relay.
2 The red is supply 12V to feed coil (blue) and choke (yellow) from the black ALT output wire.
3 I used two different in line fuse holders to avoid any confusion later, coil is blade type and choke is tube type fuse, both 20amps.
These relays are rated for 40amp each. 

b5blue

Now we feed the coil and electric choke off Alt output's bigger wire instead of smaller splice ignition wire. I also soldered both splices then covered in 2 coats of liquid tape to seal. This reduces current demand inside the car through the ignition switch. My car also has the "Fleet Modification" with a separate, parallel #8 wire fused @ 60amps from ALT output to the Alt gauge to reduce demand at the bulkhead connections.
Pic of wire to new coil and dizzy wires, I attached dizzy ground to bolt for front valley pan rail.   

b5blue

I'm not wrapping this all up again till tested and certain no changes are needed adding A/C. With the splices sealed well with liquid tape I can use the black plastic split tubing to bundle things temporary. I'll update on how this works out after testing some time.  :2thumbs:

RECHRGD

I'll probably start installing mine tomorrow.  My '68 has a single field alternator and no choke on the holly, so my hookup will differ from yours.  I'm also hoping to clean up the wiring while I'm at it.  I will be mounting the coil next to the washer bottle on the passenger side inner fender to keep it away from engine heat.  Probably don't need to, but I've had coil issues a few times over the years due to heat.  I should take progress pictures also.....
13.53 @ 105.32

b5blue

Please do add on here. I have a Denso 120amp ALT but it wires in the same as 70 up. I don't need 120amps, I bought it because it will put 50-60amps at idle.  :lol:

b5blue

I just confirmed this works well, I've got 13.5V to both coil and choke. Starts right up and the choke worked well.  :2thumbs:

sunroofgtx

Amazing tech reference. I will be doing this exact install to my 73 Coronet Wagon. Putting in a Ready to Run this week! Thanks a ton!! 

b5blue

With my Cherokee down for fuel pump and tank replacement I've been driving the 70 regularly and everything is working perfectly.  :2thumbs: