News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cam profiles for supercharging

Started by valiant charger, August 09, 2005, 04:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valiant charger

Hey, I got a cam ground by a local shop a ways back, for a supercharged motor I was building. I told the guy It was gonna be blown, and that I needed power up to about 8000rpms. This motor went real hard, untill it succumb to a few "problems".
I was at the other cam gurus today, (There are really only two cam grinders in my town) To enquire about one of their cams that a buddy gave me. I showed them the specs for my other cam, and they were like "no way is that a supercharging grind, they must be on drugs".
So I did a little bit of reading up, and I think the guy was right. I've allways shyed away from this particular place, as they've allways rubbed me up the wrong way. But what I'd really like is some "neutral" advise as to what kind of lobe seperation and duration I should be looking for. I'll be getting as much lift as the motor allows.  You see My new engine is real close to going together. I've gone for a slightly longer stroke on my new engine, so I wont be going much over 7500. I don't give a sh*t how lumpy it is, as I wont see any five o'clock traffic. (just to and from the strip on sundays)

Thanks in advance.

Chryco Psycho

i used a cam with mid .600 lift & short duration, around 250* @ ,050  roller profile , the key is the lobe separation should be 112* minimum & generally a longer duration on the exhaust side to help get th eexhaust out

valiant charger

Thanks for your response. I'm not super clued up on cams, but would it be correct to say that the area of the overlap portion would be smaller on a wider lobe seperation, when the two profiles were drawn as parabolic curves on a set of axis?
So two cams with the same the number of degrees overlap, but different lobe seperations, would have quite different characteristics.

Chryco Psycho

actually the overlap will decrease as the lobe centers are moved apart unless lift is added so the over lap stays approx thge same while the lobe centers are moved apart