News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to ID a Camshaft?

Started by ws23rt, April 10, 2015, 08:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ws23rt

The reason for my question is I have a hyd. cam and lifter set I bought for my 426 hemi project and have found that I need a solid lifter cam instead. (flat tappet). ---My block is not drilled for oiling the lifters.---
I have no need for this cam and lifters. ---It has been installed but not started.---
My intent is to sell it but if I saw an add for this and was a buyer I would like to identify the cam properly before using it.
Is their a simple/credible way to check the cam to be what it is?

I would willingly sell it for cheap but don't like the idea of not being able to assure the buyer that it is what it is.  Lift, duration, etc.

justcruisin

You can measure one intake and exhaust lobe at the base circle and then the lobes at max height and take the base circle measurement off the lobe measurement to get your lift. With the intake and exhaust numbers known you may be able to find what grind it is. You could set the cam up in a lath or two V blocks with a dial gauge and degree wheel to get your duration but you need to know at what lift the duration is taken from - generally around .006" for a hyd cam. That's not going to give you an LSA or degrees of advance. Best bet is take it to a cam shop and have them measure it. I can't imagine anyone would want it without knowing exactly what it is.

ws23rt

:2thumbs:  Thanks justcruisin.  That's just the kind of information I was looking for.

Challenger340

Mount the Cam in Vee-Blocks on the bench,
Attach a degree wheel to the end,
use a dial indicator to plot Lift / Duration / events.

takes about an hour.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

c00nhunterjoe

Is the cam back out of the engine? They usually have a grind number stamped on them.

John_Kunkel

:iagree: Check the obvious first.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.