News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Replacing cluster regulator with cluster in car?

Started by XH29N0G, April 11, 2015, 06:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

I see people do this.  I have not located a thread that describes how it is done?   

Is there a thread? 

Is it simply a matter of dropping the steering wheel to make space?  Or is there some other trick to getting access to it.  I see it, but do not see how I will pull it out and then put the replacement in. 

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

terrible one

When I did it the back of my head was resting on the brake pedal, bottom half on the floor/ drivers seat. It's a tough angle but I pulled my arm past the console and then was able to grab it. I couldn't get a good angle resting on the sill plate/ outside the car :lol: also had my headlamp on which helped a lot.

Another option (and likely better if it's not installed) is to go in through the opening for the radio.

XH29N0G

Thanks, So no need to drop the steering column.  I'll take another look to see if I can do this.  I have radio delete, so maybe that will work, too. 

Or maybe it protects us. 

comet_666

On a 69, the cluster just unscrews from the dash and comes out after you disconnect everything.

XH29N0G

My 70 cluster is not all that difficult to pull either.  I just thought I would try to replace the regulator without removing it.  I have not been able to get an angle on the regulator because I have chubby hands and the steering column and part of the metal frame gets in the way.  I will try dropping the steering column to see if that works.  If it does not, I will then pull the cluster and lay it on the column to do the swap.  I'll let you know what works in the end.

Or maybe it protects us. 

XH29N0G

I ended up dropping the column and then pulling the cluster out to lay on the column for the replacement.  I think the swap was needed.  My cluster gauges are now reading a little lower - the replacement sending unit switched to 3/4 of a tank when full (the way it used to), the temperature gauge dropped from 220 to about 190 (the way it used to read).   I suspect it was a problem waiting to happen with the 45 y.o. regulator in it. 

Or maybe it protects us.