News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69/70 Gauge trim rings on Rallye dash. What should they look like?

Started by K9COP, April 16, 2015, 02:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K9COP

Guys, I've searched and searched, read through the 'cluster restoration guide' thread and others, but can't find a definitive answer to this one..

Should the gauges/switches have a 'chrome' trim around them on the black Rallye dash bezel? If so, how are they done? Painted? Trim rings?

Any advice/info would be gratefully accepted please.

Thanks,

K9
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

TexasStroker

Assuming that is your Charger in the avatar, I would just suggest you go with a Silver Paint Pen.  You'll spend about an hour getting the pen and doing the trim and have around $10 with the pen and gas as an investment.  Lead times from most shops are crazy...not many doing this type of work anymore.

I used a silver paint pen when I restored my cluster and it came out great imo.  If you want more "chrome" you can look at model car paint etc.  Lots of very affordable options and it makes a for a satisfying project.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

K9COP

Quote from: TexasStroker on April 16, 2015, 04:59:47 AM
Assuming that is your Charger in the avatar, I would just suggest you go with a Silver Paint Pen. 

Are you implying my old mongrel doesn't deserve real chrome?  :rofl:

The linked thread is very useful, thanks Lennard, but I think my cluster must be missing some parts, that's why I asked the question. I'll post pics but mine doesn't have any molded lines that immediately lend themselves to 'paint pens' around the gauges.... From the pics on the thread, it looks like the trim rings pop in to what I have left.....

K9

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

Lennard

Not sure what you mean... there are no separate trim rings. There is a cluster housing that the gauges itself are mounted in to and a bezel that goes over it. The bezel has (molded in) chrome rings around the holes where the gauges are when you put it on top of the cluster housing.

I would post some pics here if I could but it's easier to perform a brain surgery then to get a pic up on this website.

K9COP

OK, so here's what I have on mine:

So I can see the two concentric rings around each gauge, but there is nothing there that looks conducive to 'silver pen treatment'.

Am I missing the trim rings?

K9

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

bull

The bezels are one piece, no "trim rings" attached. Vacuum plating or vacuum metalizing is a process where aluminum is evaporated onto the base coated plastic part inside a vacuum chamber which gives it the chrome look. Then the black top coat (or wood grain) is applied to everything except the portions that are supposed to be shiny silver such as the "rings" around the gauges.

K9COP

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

Lennard

Send it out for restoration or buy a silver and white paint pen and do it yourself.

TexasStroker

Quote from: K9COP on April 16, 2015, 10:28:53 AM
Quote from: TexasStroker on April 16, 2015, 04:59:47 AM
Assuming that is your Charger in the avatar, I would just suggest you go with a Silver Paint Pen. 

Are you implying my old mongrel doesn't deserve real chrome?  :rofl:

K9

Haha, no...not at all...I browse/post LATE at night so sometimes things come off wrong.  As a fan of modified Chargers, I was implying if that was your car (modified Charger) that you would be just as well off with the silver paint pen route as opposed to shelling out $$$ for a new bezel set, or taking the time necessary to line up someone to rechrome it.  I have a thread somewhere on here with pics of my cluster when I freshened it up....Unless you are going for a gold standard dash you should be pretty happy with the end result..and have money left over for gas and tires  :2thumbs:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!