News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Have I found Dutton Flats?

Started by FastbackJon, March 29, 2006, 02:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwramc

Added a link to the locations list above that leads to a map graphic I created that shows the central Linden-vicinity locations.
I think it's another neat way to 'see' them.
http://thepatrickmiracle.net/DMCL/DMCLmap01s2.gif
John

FastbackJon

"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

jwramc

$100 per wheel isn't ridiculous for totally rashless, original, vintage Indy wheels. Nice find.
John

FastbackJon

Well a little over six years after starting this thread, and since having spent a few hours narrowing down the filming area and scouring Google maps to find a majority of the interesting locations used in the film, I got to visit a few of them as a small part of the honeymoon road trip last June. What a great wife!

"You go left on Fryman, right on James Street, then you bypass Bucola down to Jackson..."

"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

68X426

That's the Farmington General Store, at the corner of State Hwy 4 and County Hwy J6, in the middle of San Joaquin County. Just south of Linden, easy to get to.  :2thumbs:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

model maker

Linden is swarming with FBI, DEA, and several california police departments looking for all of the bodies of the murder victims of the 2 "speed thrill killers" who since the late 80's - 2000's killed a lot of people and dumped the bodies in several wells all over Linden. the police did not know any of this until one of the killers was paroled to susanville calif. and for some reason confessed that he and his partner who was still in prison ( both were convicted of 1 killing ) and the guy who was paroled confessed to ALL of the killings  , told the police where some of the bodies were, then killed himself. The other guy then confessed when questioned and has been leading police & FBI to a LOT of burial sites in Linden.  I MEAN THEY JUST DUMPED BODY AFTER BODY INTO WELLS USED FOR DRINKING WATER  ! if you saw a lot of activity in any of the fields along the roadways, this is what you were seeing. i will try to find the story and post a link.
Bert

HERE IS THE LINK              http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Speed-Freak-Killers-put-Linden-CA-in-spotlight-3319137.php   
MODEL MAKER

RallyeMike

This is still the best thread that ever hit this board. It inspired my own side trip in 2009 to see several of the sites, and I have the speeding ticket to prove it.  :lol:

Good to see that the store has re-opened.

I wonder how many general store bench sitters do we have here?

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ghoste

jwramc

I am shooting for/hoping/wishing to return to the area again around late-September of next year (to take advantage of the late sunset times), to do an even more in-depth photo journal, especially now that I've more than doubled my location list since I was there in April 2010. I plan to bring more than just the list this time- like screen captures of each of the spots so I can position myself EXACTLY where the original cameras were to have more precise 'then and now' photos. I'm planning it as a three day, two night trip that again does NOT include the wife as she'd be bored to tears the whole time as I run around like a kid in a candy shop.
:boogie:

Now, I'm also entertaining the idea of doing this as a group road trip, provided a decent group of 6-10 folks wanted to spend 10-12 HOURS hopping around these Nowheresville towns to look at weeds and rundown buildings, etc...in a rented, full-size passenger van. We could each simply pay our own way on everything except for the van and fuel which would be totaled up and split as many ways as we have bodies aboard (I could certainly give a very good estimate well before the date). We've got LOTS of time to hammer out all the details, but I think once we have a set figure for the van and fuel, I'd want to require that split-total collected well before the trip so that 'no-shows' on the day don't force added costs on those that show up, pissing onto their day. All of this is open to discussion over the next year, of course. Just spitballin'!

Anywayz- here's a draft of a somewhat realistic itinerary. Feel free to pick it apart. ESPECIALLY if you know of a location I've missed that needs to be added in. I've tried to limit the amount of mileage we cover more than once, and to keep the stops as close to being in film-order as feasible. The STARTING point of a Hotel in Sonora at 8AM can, of course, be adjusted to elsewhere with a relative change of the start time as well- Example Modesto/Riverbank at 7AM to head to Sonora by 8AM.

Have a look and let me know if this interests anyone, and offer any suggestions you wish.

40th Anniversary "Dirty Mary Crazy Larry" Film Locations Road Trip: mid-June or late-September, 2013
Marking 40 years since the movie was filmed in and around Linden, California.

SONORA, CA (which is 2.5hrs from SFO (San Francisco, CA) VAN leaves Hotel at 8AM sharp.
8:10-8:20 Fairview Apartments (Mary's Place), Sonora, CA
8:25 Approaching Save Mart, Sonora, CA
8:30-8:45 Save Mart, Sonora, CA
8:55-9:00 Deke Dropped-Off at Hostage House

1 hour drive to
FARMINGTON, CA
10:00-10:30 General Store [GRAB COFFEE or A BAG LUNCH HERE TO EAT AS WE ROLL}
10:35 Looking back at Impala approaching General Store.
10:40-10:45 Franklin boards the helicopter

LINDEN, CA
10:50-10:55 Roadblock at "Old 99 Junction"
11:05-11:10 View through Ranger's binoculars (not actually at lookout station)
11:15-11:25 Impala turns, cutting off the bus
11:30-11:40 Rollercoaster Chase (note the flat-top mountain on the horizon, left of the road)

CLEMENTS CA
12:00-12:30 Dutton Flats flea market
12:40-1:00 Billboard Chase

LINDEN, CA
1:10-1:15 Franklin spots Charger from helicopter
1:20-1:30 Interceptor crashes with Chevy wagon
1:35-1:45 Charger (with tall antenna) turns right, passing parked stake truck.
1:50-1:55 Interceptor spots Charger emerging after repairs
2:00-2:15 Approaching Bill's Bar thru center of Linden,CA [COFFEE STOP]
2:20-2:45 Bill's Bar ("A Landing Spot")
2:50-3:00 Collision with red pickup truck
3:05 One of many turns Larry makes while "outdriving himself"
3:10-3:20 Entering the Walnut Groves
3:25-3:45 S-turn where cop runs civilian Polara off the road
3:55-4:00 Staging area where cars were maintained and parked each night
4:10-4:35 Train crash crossing

STOCKTON, CA
4:50-5:05 Current Location (if not scrapped by now) of the locomotive (Alco S1 Switcher ST&E RR #505)

BEAVER SLOUGH, CA; 40 minute drive [plus Snack Stop en route 15mins]
6:05-6:10 Approach to bridge along dirt siding, cop appears from left
6:15-6:20 Charger re-enters road, cuts off cop
6:25-6:35 Cop car goes into channel

TRACY, CA; 50 minute drive
7:25-7:50 Drawbridge

ENTIRE TRIP SCHEDULED 12 HOURS, but is padded somewhat so that, perhaps,
actual time will be 10.5-11 hours.
John

Ghoste

June huh?  I just might be able to make that work.

jwramc

I wanted to avoid mid-summer heat in a van (even if it does have properly-functioning AC!). :)
As an alternate, I was thinking late-September.
John

Ghoste

Late September would work for me too, that and June are a couple of the few times per year when I can think much about getting away. lol  (of course, we haven't finalized next year's schedule yet either)

nvrbdn

are you talking weekend, weekday, what kind of schedule? looks like 1 day out there, one long day of seeing the sights, and next day going home. with 10 people, how much picture taking time per stop? if i were going, id have to have a couple pic's with different angles of each item you listed. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

FastbackJon

Nice picture Mike! Yes the store is back open. I went inside and talked to the older lady who was working and asked if she'd seen the movie and she said no, but she'd heard about it. I took video inside the store too.

Sounds like an interesting trip JW.

Couple more.... can you believe it? And orange chevy truck with slotted mags was there when we arrived here.... (just noticed it didn't have any plates either).

It looks like it's still a functioning apartment place as the rooms are numbered.

"Will the last person in Seattle
Please turn out the lights"

68X426

jwr: there's several members here who live in Sonora, Modesto, and No-wheresville. I'm sure that you would have several, maybe a dozen or more, Mopars along for the cruise. Charger Steve is just up the road, and there's a bunch of Sacramento and Bay Area members as well who would likely join.

I live in Sonora. My office is 3 blocks from that famous SaveMart. Budnicks is right close too. We can help you with info on area hotels, and some of the finer details.

Mid-June can have 100 degree days, average is 90. July and August are always 100s. September cools down to 90 average. Keep in mind that if there is a good rain season that the countryside can still be green in June. By September everything is golden brown, just like the movie. Then the orchards really stand out against the landscape. So I think that September is your best window of opportunity.

Did a Dodge Charger do that to you?

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

68X426

The orange Chevy pick-up is probably still on its side in the same spot. No one cleans up much in No-wheresville.  :D

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

They cleaned up the spilled walnuts though, right?

FastbackJon

Just uploaded some 1080p High-Def videos to YouTube from some of the locations including walking to look behind Bill's Beer, Pool and Gas, driving behind and walking into the Sonora Save Mart in case anyone was curious.  :popcrn:

Driving up to "Fairview Motor Apts."
http://youtu.be/G9h9mfCoGCo

At "Fairview Motor Apts."
http://youtu.be/3ByS4J4GWJs

"Fairview Motor Apts. to (and behind) Save Mart"
http://youtu.be/OIZZT_Lk3VA

At and inside Save Mart
http://youtu.be/CL00TJAiSdE

"Ogilvie's General Store"
http://youtu.be/Q3K4DfjmYz0

"Dutton Flats"
http://youtu.be/7-nBm9Hufvk

Through Linden to "Bill's Beer, Pool and Gas"
http://youtu.be/lqsxp_4tiq8

Around and behind "Bill's Beer, Pool and Gas"
http://youtu.be/7hqUGEyJ8pA

"Old 99 Junction"
http://youtu.be/XvncdEu3kOo

Charger Train Crash
http://youtu.be/nvtdXuVol0I

model maker

WOW, I can't believe how MUCH  nature has grown all over that area. 40 years and everything looks crowded with trees and buildings. when he mentioned  this in the trip intinary      "1:35-1:45 Charger (with tall antenna) turns right, passing parked stake truck."  That was MY charger in that scene and I still have that large antennae  :cheers: back in 1977 when i had the charger, We took a trip to linden in it, it was me, my best friend paul, & my girlfriend ( soon to be wife aka charger killer- soon to be EX wife ) and we drove & parked in the back of bills bar/pool hall. We walked around front & went inside and had a beer. there were 2 pool tables there, one in the main bar and the other in that side room where they filmed the pool scene. The bar tender got a phone call about my charger parked in the back from the owner who lived there and they wanted to take pictures with them sitting in my Movie charger. the bar tender asked if he could drive it and i politly said NO :shruggy: The trip was made more irritating having charger killer tagging along, :brickwall: I mean she complained almost constantly that she was bored. I told her that we were going to be looking for places and hanging around those places for a while with the charger & she was excited to go. that is until we got 20 miles from linden & her moaning & groaning started ( easy guys i KNOW what some of you are thinking ) :smilielol: :smilielol: :rofl: :rofl: maybe we should have left her alone in the back seat to occupy herself and let us concentrate on finding the filming spots( according to the marked map pages that were in the trunk with the other things from the movie) the only problem with that is she sometimes sounded like a  loud siren and i didn;t want that coming from the charger or people might think they were being pulled over by a police car  :smilielol: :smilielol: :rofl: :rofl:, Sorry, i just couldn't resist. JW, you did an OUTSTANDING JOB on finding the locations as I know first hand how widespread that area is & to do what you did driving & finding, mapping, & charting that entire area for us here was a LOT of hard work & I for one want to say THANK YOU many times over !!!! Too bad we couldn't get a DMCL clone to go on that trip & maybe even a  blue chevy Impala :popcrn: :popcrn:

BERT
MODEL MAKER

PS, SORRY for the picture of me in the foreground but that is my movie charger parked behind me in the 35 year old picture from 1977. :2thumbs:
MODEL MAKER

jwramc

Quote from: nvrbdn on October 16, 2012, 11:12:51 AM
are you talking weekend, weekday, what kind of schedule? looks like 1 day out there, one long day of seeing the sights, and next day going home. with 10 people, how much picture taking time per stop? if i were going, id have to have a couple pic's with different angles of each item you listed. :2thumbs:

I was thinking a Saturday preferably. You can see by the schedule I wrote up that many of the more minor locations get a mere 5 minutes of time... barely enough for everyone to pile out of the van, snap a couple of pics real quick and hop back on. Others have 10 or 15 minutes assigned to them. The major locations (long stops or big crashes in the film) get even longer times... and even then, it's a rather rushed run-through. IDEALLY, this would be a TWO day thing to allow twice as much time for every stop and shorten those days to 8 hours each, +/-. Not sure everyone would be up for that.

Quote from: 68X426 on October 16, 2012, 12:30:10 PM
jwr: there's several members here who live in Sonora, Modesto, and No-wheresville. I'm sure that you would have several, maybe a dozen or more, Mopars along for the cruise. Charger Steve is just up the road, and there's a bunch of Sacramento and Bay Area members as well who would likely join.

I live in Sonora. My office is 3 blocks from that famous SaveMart. Budnicks is right close too. We can help you with info on area hotels, and some of the finer details.

Mid-June can have 100 degree days, average is 90. July and August are always 100s. September cools down to 90 average. Keep in mind that if there is a good rain season that the countryside can still be green in June. By September everything is golden brown, just like the movie. Then the orchards really stand out against the landscape. So I think that September is your best window of opportunity.

I agree late-September would certainly have the right 'look' to make everyone's photos that much more of a match to the film. And any help setting the whole thing up would certainly be appreciated. As for the multi-vehicle cruise idea, that would be problematic. Many of these locations don't have anywhere to park a sudden influx of 10-12 cars. There are few roads with real shoulders, and parking a string of cars like that is going to limit photo angles, cluttering the view with cars instead of the location. For SOME locations, it would certainly be cool... like Save Mart, Bill's Bar, The Flea Market. But overall, I think it would be unwieldy and even disruptive to the locals. That's just my knee-jerk thought on the idea.

Quote from: 68X426 on October 16, 2012, 12:33:33 PM
The orange Chevy pick-up is probably still on its side in the same spot. No one cleans up much in No-wheresville.  :D

Wasn't there in 2010. :)

Quote from: model maker on October 16, 2012, 05:59:52 PMJW, you did an OUTSTANDING JOB on finding the locations as I know first hand how widespread that area is & to do what you did driving & finding, mapping, & charting that entire area for us here was a LOT of hard work & I for one want to say THANK YOU many times over !!!! Too bad we couldn't get a DMCL clone to go on that trip & maybe even a  blue chevy Impala :popcrn: :popcrn:

I would LOVE the idea, tho, of a DMCL Charger-clone leading the van the whole trip. :coolgleamA: Thanks for the kudos. They weren't ALL my own finds... I'd say maybe half are. I've had a lot of help nailing down that list and STILL have a bunch of spots I'd love to locate. For instance, I believe the police station and lot were shot at a school, likely in Stockton... but no idea which, and it could be long gone. Franklin's farm, the horse farm where the Impala is fixed, the supermarket interior, the supermarket rear area where Larry begs for the keys from Mary, the field where the Impala jumps the 'dozer ramp (yup, three, maybe FOUR separate locations to portray ONE store!), the T intersection where Hank's first cruiser throws a rod, the turn with the low helicopter, the turn with the mailboxes, the dirt road where Larry powders Hank's face... and a few others.
John

squeakfinder

The trip was made more irritating having charger killer tagging along, :brickwall: I mean she complained almost constantly that she was bored.

BERT
MODEL MAKER

Sounds like you and your buddy should of ditched her at the general store.   
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Ghoste

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

jwramc

Quote from: squeakfinder on October 17, 2012, 11:07:25 AMSounds like you and your buddy should of ditched her at the general store.

:lol: :2thumbs: :lol: :2thumbs: :lol:

Mary at the wheel of the damaged Impala...

Larry- "What are you doing?"

Mary- "Well, I got bored."

---Larry goes under the car...

Deke- "Everything okay?"

Larry- "She got bored."

Deke- "Great."
John

model maker

Quote from: Ghoste on October 17, 2012, 11:20:04 AM
She would have talked.

You have that right, she would NEVER shut up :brickwall: we couldn't go ANYWHERE without her having to stare at herself in a mirror or window on  public street and would ALWAYS have to go back home & change clothes. We would be leaving the house to go somewhere and by the time we got 6 blocks, she would demand to go back home to CHANGE TO OTHER CLOTHES :flame:
Quote from: squeakfinder on October 17, 2012, 11:07:25 AM
  The trip was made more irritating having charger killer tagging along, :brickwall: I mean she complained almost constantly that she was bored.

BERT
MODEL MAKER

Sounds like you and your buddy should of ditched her at the general store.   

we DID think of that but she didn't want to stay back at the motel room, because she wouldn't be able make us completely miserable from there. I know my buddy & i would have been able to find a lot more locations without her whining to hurry up  i'm bored, i want you to take me shopping etc. but the torture of her whining forced us to drive her ass all the way back home to the bay area where we lived. it was a VERY QUIET RIDE as I was fuming inside and she  knew she wasn't going to get any conversation from me.
MODEL MAKER