News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ball Joint Tool Question

Started by Judhudson, March 29, 2006, 08:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judhudson

I'm in the process of looking for a socket to fit the ball joints that I have for my 73'.  My dad tried using a Wrench, and it ended up slipping and hitting him in the mouth.  So it's better that we get the proper tool.  I'm looking at this:  http://yearone.com/serverfiles/part.asp?pid=MR48&c=0&e=0&cat=1&hid=119AC5128 and I'd like to know what is the difference from the upper and lower?  Both are threaded, are the socket sizes different, or would this socket fit both?  ???

Charger_Fan

Your lowers are threaded too? I guess it's been a long time since I've seen a 73 lower ball joint. :-\

That socket will definitely fit the uppers, that looks like the same one I've got for mine. Make sure you have a tough breaker bar that will handle a cheater pipe, don't use a ratchet until it's broken loose. ;)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

beenaround

simply measure across the "flats of the joint and make sure the lowers are the same.mopar used 3 different sizes over the years.

Judhudson

Well, I bought a set of calipers today (can't believe I lost the old ones, but chances are now that I bought new ones, they'll pop up).  Anyways, I decided 1-59/64 is close enough and ordered one from Bradytools.  So I should be able to get back to work Monday.  Thanks :D

hemihead

My 73 has Upper and Lower screw ins and yes the were the same for lower and upper.All B Body screw ins used one size and 2 other different sizes for A Body and C Body.E Body used the B Body socket I believe.the press in Ball Joints were replacements for messed up threads.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin