News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LED tail lights

Started by xoman60, May 16, 2015, 12:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xoman60

Anyone that has changed over to LED's had any issues with the tail lights flickering? This only happens when the car is running. I have a 69 charger.

WHITE AND RED 69

Have you replaced both flasher units under the dash for LED flashers? If so I would check the grounds on the rear harness.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

xoman60

Yea flashers replaced. Lights would even work until I did that. As for the ground the tail lights worked fine with the normal incandescent bulbs. No flickering or issues. You saying the grounds still might be bad?

PlainfieldCharger

Do you have the old mechanical voltage regulator?  :shruggy: I would switch over to the modern "electronic" version. :Twocents:

K9COP

Have you swapped to LED lights, or LED bulbs in the original lights?  Assuming you have LED bulbs in the 'old' housings, do they all flicker together, or just some of the bulbs... and under what conditions?

Voltage regulator seems like a likely culprit to me, or bulb holders connection against tail light housings.... my  :Twocents:

K9
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

xoman60

I just upgraded charging system to 70 and later so everything is new. And its led's in original bulb holders. Condition is they flicker randomly in all 6 led's only when engine is running. As I said the old incandescent bulbs do not flicker.

PlainfieldCharger

It is good that you have the "transistorized" voltage regulator as that will clean up the voltage a bit. It really sounds like you have a weak ground to the lighting circuit the has the LED in it. They are more sensitive to voltage fluctuations. Take a wire from the negative side of the battery to the wire harness ground and start it up. It sounds like to me when your cars is running off of the alt your voltage paths are changing...weak or bad ground... :Twocents:

skip68

Do you have a body ground strap?   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

xoman60

Yea, bad ground sounds like the most likely to me also. Just not sure where to start looking. I haven't added any ground wires since I bought the car so where is the body ground? I see the battery is grounded to the motor. The motor has a ground at the back of the intake manifold to the firewall. I will try the battery ground wire to the harness this weekend. Thanks for the help.

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: xoman60 on May 21, 2015, 07:08:42 PM
Yea, bad ground sounds like the most likely to me also. Just not sure where to start looking. I haven't added any ground wires since I bought the car so where is the body ground? I see the battery is grounded to the motor. The motor has a ground at the back of the intake manifold to the firewall. I will try the battery ground wire to the harness this weekend. Thanks for the help.
You should remove the bolt or screw on the ground wire and clean the areas with fine emery cloth, dremle tool and then put it back together. You have a ground wire on the inside of the tail panel for the rear light and one for the front that goes to the core support. One off the passenger side of the engine block/intake manifold to the fire wall. Hope this helps...

xoman60

Thanks plain. I am aware of the ground on the firewall but not the rear tail light area. I will check that one out.