News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mufflers of choice?

Started by Mopar Thunder, May 19, 2015, 07:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar Thunder

Those of you running higher horspower engines which is your muffler of choice and is anyone running electric cutouts?

Back N Black

I have the Dynomax Ultra flows, really like them.
Here is a clip on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkwtlBhWDc4

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Back N Black on May 19, 2015, 08:04:11 AM

I have these also.  If the car is "drive around town" car these are awesome.   I've put more miles on my car on long drive (Hot Rod Power tour and long distance shows), and it is loud.  Driving 8 hours back from Kentucky in 2010 my ears were ringing for days.   I'm actually thinking of getting something a little quieter.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

myk

Dynomax Ultra-flo's here as well, recommended by Ron about 10 years ago and I like them very much.  My only complaint is that these mufflers, along with an H-pipe, have made my car too quiet... :lol:
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

303 Mopar

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 19, 2015, 08:30:28 AM
Quote from: Back N Black on May 19, 2015, 08:04:11 AM

I have these also.  If the car is "drive around town" car these are awesome.   I've put more miles on my car on long drive (Hot Rod Power tour and long distance shows), and it is loud.  Driving 8 hours back from Kentucky in 2010 my ears were ringing for days.   I'm actually thinking of getting something a little quieter.

:iagree:  I had these on my '71 Challenger and they sound really good, but driving after an hour or so it became annoying.  If you have a good sound deadener that will help.  Sorry for the blurry video but you will hear the sound.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2gr5aBC6cc

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHuYU57VhjI
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

werner

ultra flows as well, 3" with dumps.
Tried Magan Flow and flow masters
Magan flow were too quite, flow masters got tired of drone in interior.
Ultra flows best of both worlds. Not too loud cruising, can still hear radio and talk and when you put your foot into it, opens right up. I will be adding electric cut outs this year to make some more noise at idle

I guy on here has the hooker aero chambers and he really like them, he was looking for more noise at idle. He had Ultra flows before. Hes happy camper now. I dont find on 2-3 hrs drives its too loud
1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.

Stegs

i have 14" magnaflow oval SS on my 440....quiet at idle, but any revs and under throttle it sounds great...

im debating on the ultraflow welded

68X426

Quote from: Mopar Thunder on May 19, 2015, 07:27:04 AM
Those of you running higher horspower engines which is your muffler of choice and is anyone running electric cutouts?

Hemi 660 horses, thru all 2.25 and 3 inch TTI stainless, with Doug's cut-outs, and Dynomax Super Turbos.  Best of all worlds for the fun, the noise, the horsepower.

The Dynomax Super Turbos are so quiet it's shocking, and they breathe great.  The cut-outs are fun.  I set off car alarms routinely.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Charger-Bodie

Ultra flows or magnaflows here too.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

cdr

magna flows on mine, just got the 512cid running & for a straight through muffler it is pretty dang quiet, but it does have a drone at 45---65 mph
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

dstryr

I bought Dynomax SuperTurbos for the sound control and my exhaust guy in Nebraska was going to install them...then I moved to IA and my 'new' exhaust guy talked me into Magnaflows because he thought the exhaust pulses would destroy the turbos.   But, he promised to swap them out if I thought they were too loud... and after driving a bunch times and needing ear plugs to save my hearing, I went back and got my way.  The 'flows were ungodly loud and without ear plugs I would have muffled hearing in my left ear for days after a 30 mile drive.  

The SuperTurbos are big but the car is significantly more quiet than before.  Still wear plugs but at least am not the #**hole in the neighborhood with the ridiculously loud car anymore.   :icon_smile_big:   If you're around Des Moines, IA, Pete and the crew at Iowa Muffler do fantastic work. :2thumbs:
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

XH29N0G

I wish I knew exactly what the people that did the restore put on mine - something with 3 letters like APS, but I am not sure.  They are 2.5 inch ss stainless ovals center in offset out.  I found them a little too loud (could not hear the person in the passenger seat clearly) so put 18 inch 4 inch round magnaflow resonators on and it is now much much quieter and I can hear myself think.  Probably too quiet for many here, but good for me, and the dogs still get starteled and bark at me if I drive by.  My neighbor still tells me he can hear me pull into the neighborhood and drive the 4-5 blocks to the house.  (He is in his 80's but has good ears - he also has a few distinctive sounding cars.)  If you want quieter, look up the people who run resonators on here.  I do not know what 2 straight through mufflers in series do to backpressure.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

myk

Looks like I'll have to look into these Super Turbos when the time comes for exhaust work...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

c00nhunterjoe

3" flowmaster 50 series suv mufflers on mine and love them. Sound great. Do not have the traditional flowmaster "raspy can" sound. Sounds like an angry muscle car. Deep and mellow idle, not too loud, but you can definatly hear it. Cruise, can hold a normal conversation in the car, wide open is loud and aggressive. On my car, i lost no performance. Car runs same mph through 18" collectors as it does through the mufflers give or take 1-2 mph on multiple back to back runs.

ACUDANUT

Flow Master 44 series.  :cheers:

Brass

These are interesting:

http://www.blackwidowexhaust.com/

According to the FAQ they are not chambered.  I am wondering how the sound compares to the oval and round ultra flo mufflers.

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Wicked72

I'll be running 3 inch flowmaster super 40s. Deep beastly sound and not much drone. I used to run  regular 40 series but I don't want my 2 year olds to end up being def or throw up in the back seat and the super 40s are just above the 50 series.
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

xoman60

Wish I knew what was under my car. They look kinda like flowmasters super HP2. Previous owner installed 4 of them. They terminate just before the rear end with a 4 inch chrome output. Looks different and sounds good but I am curious what they are. 

1970Moparmann

I'll have to do a video of both.   I currently have the Ulta Flows, but am putting on a new 3" TTI set up next week with the Super Turbos.  My little boys aren't crazy about the car currently because it's too loud.   

I'll post some video in about a week to show the difference.

Stegs

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 22, 2015, 11:55:38 PM
I'll have to do a video of both.   I currently have the Ulta Flows, but am putting on a new 3" TTI set up next week with the Super Turbos.  My little boys aren't crazy about the car currently because it's too loud.   

Any videos yet?

I was at a car show this weekend with some good sounding mopars....made me dislike my magnaflows....need something with some rumble...ultraflows? super 44s?

1970Moparmann

Just uploaded last night.

I didn't do a video of idling with the Turbo's yet, but will in the next day or two.

Here are the Ulta Flows-

Idling-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9pqwhxGPl4

Driving-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU1hwE5yO_k

Here are the Super Turbo's-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWOtMJO4qkI

Notes - The Ulta Flows had Schumaker headers with a 2 1/2" pipes.  Sounds mean as could be but LOUD for my taste on long drives.   I put on TTI headers with 3" pipes last week with the Super Turbos and put 1,000 miles on the car the last 5 days - much quieter but still has some nice rumble with no droning.  Again, getting older, and having small kids, I needed/wanted something quieter yet still has some some muscle.  I'm sold on the Super Turbos.     

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 22, 2015, 11:55:38 PM

Just tell em, it's fast and loud.

femtnmax

I had the "short' superturbos, and they did drone some...went to the "longer" turbos...they sound good and no issues with drones.
Phil

Dodge Don

Dynomax Ultraflo....love the sound.

c00nhunterjoe

I have never heard a muffler that has "no drone" im sorry, but it doesnt exist. This is why car manufactures today ad resonators to the exhaust to stop the drone. All mufflers, chambered, straight through, or glasspack WILL drone. The rpm that they drone at will vary based on your engine, exhaust size, and muffler of choice.
   I have the ultraflows on my 07 rt and they DO have a drone. To me it defeats the purpose of a louder muffler if you quiet it back down with the addition of a resonator.
   The trick is experiment and find out what rpm you typically produce a drone and choose a muffler combination that will not drone in your normal cruising rpm band, problem solved.

The 07 with dynomax ultraflos- https://youtu.be/lPINTtGZAqo
The 69 with flowmaster 50suv- https://youtu.be/di8VIN6i6ok

myk

^^^That's what I've been saying for years.  Also, call me crazy but I like the drone?

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: myk on June 15, 2015, 08:05:56 AM
^^^That's what I've been saying for years.  Also, call me crazy but I like the drone?

I agree, i love the way my 07 sounds. The drone is not obnoxious. Its loud and pronounced, but it accents the aggressive growl of the hemi at the same time and i love it. Its a narrow rpm band that it occurs so a simple 5-10 mph change or up/down a gear can make it go away or come in on command.
   The flowmasters on the 69 are the same way but it drones around 1800-2200 and at 1800 im still skipping off the cam....lol

Stegs

definetly switching from my 14" magnaflows to ultraflow welded mufflers

sound is better than magnaflow, but not crappy sounding like flowmaster

Good videos!

HeavyFuel

MagnaFlows last year, and just added the Magna resonators to eliminate drone.  They work well.

The MagnaFlow mufflers are a little bulky, might end up switching those back to the Dyno Turbos in the future.   :scratchchin:

But I like how quiet the car is now.   :2thumbs:

(also switched to the factory replica exhaust tips from Accurate....I like 'em better than the TTI's that were on there.)

Stegs

Quote from: HeavyFuel on June 16, 2015, 04:35:28 PM
MagnaFlows last year, and just added the Magna resonators to eliminate drone.  They work well.

The MagnaFlow mufflers are a little bulky, might end up switching those back to the Dyno Turbos in the future.   :scratchchin:

But I like how quiet the car is now.   :2thumbs:

(also switched to the factory replica exhaust tips from Accurate....I like 'em better than the TTI's that were on there.)

I have those same tips...they tuck under the car a little nicer than what i had on before...very good product and quality!