News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

great 1971 pic. what the heck happend??

Started by DoubleDlover, June 17, 2015, 04:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleDlover

someone said it killed someone?/ what happened??

hemi68charger

That's the infamous Indy 500 pace car crash when the car was coming in from the pace laps as they went to green. 1971 Indy 500...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

Last time a pace car was driven by an unqualified driver and a black eye for Dodge and the Indy 500.  Eldon Palmer was a local Dodge dealer and he was using a traffic cone (as I recall) for a braking point marker during practice laps.  When it came to race time someone had moved the cone and he started braking too late when he came in from pacing the field for the start.
Not a good day to understate it for sure.

Alaskan_TA

wingcar

No one killed but a number were injured.  And, as stated earlier, not a good day for Dodge. 
As the pace car had always been given to the race winner.....Unser had to go to a local Dodge dealer where he was able to pick any car he wanted as the '71 Challenger Convert was undriveable.  If I remember correctly he picked a new Charger.  I believe the Challenger was later restored.
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Aero426

One of the local photograhers here in town who was hurt just had a hip replacement because of this.    It has been a life long problem.

The photo is of the restored car taken last year at MCACN in Chicago.

Aero426

Here is the footage.    I know the story is that the brake marker was moved.  But I never understood why Palmer was still hard on it while moving down the pit lane.    I mean, you hit the pit lane, your work is done.  Unless he thought he had to lead the field to the line.    But the pit lane at that time wasn't all that long.   I really just think he was caught up in the moment and the red mist got him.   Then he panicked.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTNDPmIO4Lw

Ghoste

Wow, never saw that footage before, he was sure booking it when he passed the tv camera.

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on June 17, 2015, 09:55:24 AM
Wow, never saw that footage before, he was sure booking it when he passed the tv camera.

You ain't kidding.    It was hopelessly late when he tried to brake.   He might have attempted to use all the available road including the pit out to get stopped.    But it's easy to second guess someone else when you aren't the one under the gun.    

Lighthorseman

Wow.  I had never even heard of this.  Thanks for sharing.

6bblgt

Al Unser ordered a '71 440 SE Charger to replace the non-received pace car prize.

Aero426

Quote from: 6bblgt on June 17, 2015, 11:30:06 AM
Al Unser ordered a '71 440 SE Charger to replace the non-received pace car prize.

Do you know where the car is now? 

6bblgt

The Charger SE was for sale or on eBay ~15 years ago.  I know I have the info/pics, but was not able to locate them this morning.  I'll look this evening.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

daytonalo

John Glenn survived WW II as marine corsair fighter pilot as well as  the first U.S. astronaut to orbit Earth, completing three orbits in 1962. And almost killed in the rear seat in a car driven by some skill-less clown !  He has also served as an Ohio senator.

Side not my Father personally prepped John Glenn's corsair before each mission and years later @ one of his marine corps reunions John personally thanked him . My dad passed 2 years ago .

Larry

hemi68charger

Quote from: daytonalo on June 20, 2015, 09:55:24 AM

John Glenn survived WW II as marine corsair fighter pilot as well as  the first U.S. astronaut to orbit Earth, completing three orbits in 1962. And almost killed in the rear seat in a car driven by some skill-less clown !  He has also served as an Ohio senator.

Side not my Father personally prepped John Glenn's corsair before each mission and years later @ one of his marine corps reunions John personally thanked him . My dad passed 2 years ago .

Larry

:2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

ernie

I remember watching that happen live on tv,

Baldwinvette77

Leader of the Dodge rebellion  :lol:

No seriously that sucks, But i heard a rumour that this crash was what made dodge drop the convertible for 1972  :shruggy:

Ghoste

Convertibles were generally all being removed from the American new car lots around that time.

5hunert

Root cause of the problem was that Dodge discontinued the R/T convertible for 1971.  If you've ever tried dynamiting the brakes with 10' drums at 100+ you'll understand Eldon Palmer's issue.  :yesnod:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 5hunert on June 24, 2015, 12:14:09 PM
Root cause of the problem was that Dodge discontinued the R/T convertible for 1971.  If you've ever tried dynamiting the brakes with 10' drums at 100+ you'll understand Eldon Palmer's issue.  :yesnod:

True. I never understood why the Dodge Challenger Convert. could not come as a R/T, But Plymouth's 'Cuda convertibles could come with all the performance goodies with bigger everything (brakes, engine, handling)

Mike DC

:Twocents:

I agree that it would have taken more than a missing cone signal to get him into that much trouble.  

The car was non-overdrive, bias-ply tires, and horrible aerodynamics.  When you let off the gas it would have coasted from 100 mph down to 60 pretty quick.  The footage looks more like he was gassing it all the way down pit road.  

odcics2

Quote from: 5hunert on June 24, 2015, 12:14:09 PM
Root cause of the problem was that Dodge discontinued the R/T convertible for 1971.  If you've ever tried dynamiting the brakes with 10' drums at 100+ you'll understand Eldon Palmer's issue.  :yesnod:

Had a 68 Charger with the small brakes. Back in '72, I was going over 100 on I-94 when I tried to slow down with BOTH feet on the manual brake pedal.  100-99-98-97-96-95.... well you get the picture! 
Next day I was turning the 4 egg shaped drums!     :smilielol:

Do we know what brake package the Pace Car had?
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

DoubleDlover

GOTWING

does anyone have any available info on these rims? I have an early factory color photo of a challenger with these rims but it is not a convertible, they were never offered in the brochure as an option and I have never seen them on anything else? Are they simply an aftermarket mag used by Dodge on their new car?