News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Charger front buckets:Legendary seat install questions

Started by 66FBCharger, June 21, 2015, 02:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

I just started to work on my front bucket seats and I have a few questions on the installation.
1. The original burlap has wires about 3/4" apart threaded through the burlap. On both ends they are bent 180 degrees over a piece of "cord" on both sides. In trying to remove the wires, to transfer to a new piece of burlap, the ends broke when I tried to un bend them to remove them.
Where can I get new wires so I can continue the installation?
2. The new Legendary foam does not have the cloth attached to it to hogring through, to secure the foam to the frame like the original foam. How and where do I attach the new foam to the seat frame?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

tsmithae

I used welding wire to replace the original wires and replaced the chord with some soft aluminum rods I had laying around.

I used quality adhesive to attach new cloth to the foams where needed.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=1920.0
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

Tscott38

I just did the seats in my 68 and the video, while very helpful, didnt tell the story of the listing wire for a 68.  I had the exact same problem with those wires breaking as I tried to undo them from the side listing wires on their ends, so I stopped and just glued a new piece of burlap right over the old wire and burlap, on both sides, so now I have a sandwich of wire/burlap, stronger than the original wires threaded thru the one piece of burlap.  All this is doing is protectign the foam from getting damaged by the springs anyways I figured, so it should work.  New wire would be even better.  I re-hogringed the sandwich to the springs and then installed the foam. Maybe it wasn't right, but I'm confident its better than original.   

66FBCharger

Quote from: Mopar Nut on June 21, 2015, 09:08:13 PM
Here's a good Youtube video and ideas on installation kits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh3ixg9-YbE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUo_UsTBhTo
Thanks MoparNut,
The video was a great help. I was unaware of the installation Kit # 11. I asked legendary why they didn't sell the foam kit with the installation kit. When i bought my seat covers and foam (2012), they had not introduced the installation kit. It is a relatively new addition.
I asked Legendary about the wire threaded through the burlap. They said they were not available and they said they are unnecessary.
Quote from: tsmithae on June 21, 2015, 11:25:20 PM
I used welding wire to replace the original wires and replaced the chord with some soft aluminum rods I had laying around.

I used quality adhesive to attach new cloth to the foams where needed.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=1920.0
I'm planning on using welding wire to mimic the factory installation.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

lail1985

hello 66FBCharger how are you? This is Legendary Auto Interiors. We understand you are having trouble installing the front buckets, if you are still working on this you can always give us a call here at Legendary, and our technician can walk you through it. Please call us at 800-363-8804 and ask for the tech. This goes for all others as well!

66FBCharger

Quote from: lail1985 on July 15, 2015, 08:03:12 AM
hello 66FBCharger how are you? This is Legendary Auto Interiors. We understand you are having trouble installing the front buckets, if you are still working on this you can always give us a call here at Legendary, and our technician can walk you through it. Please call us at 800-363-8804 and ask for the tech. This goes for all others as well!
Hi lail,
I am well.
I finished my two buckets seats in my '69. They came out fantastic! The installation videos on youtube were a great help. I will recommend your product to everyone. The installation of burlap, foam and seat covers took some time, but it was not incredible difficult and came out looking like a professional shop installed them. It seems like it would be pretty hard to not end up with a professional looking installation.
I understand why you make the foam kits as you do, but all the glueing of the front seat back and FSB cap is a pain and time consuming. That is my only critique.
Thank you for checking into to my progress.
John Calabrese

Nickrc3

QuoteI just did the seats in my 68 and the video, while very helpful, didnt tell the story of the listing wire for a 68.

TScott & TSmithAE, I just received my Legendary order last week (new bucket foams, covers and installation kit) and have a few questions regarding recovering a 68' bucket.
I've watched the Legendary video a couple times now and the one obvious difference between their 69' example and our 68' is there are no listing wires cut into the foam back and seat. The seat covers also have no listing wire pockets sewn into them, therefore, I'm to assume they're not required.

I'm not sure those wires cross-sewn into the original burlap really are necessary. They likely provide positioning stability and maintain the integrity of the burlap against the springs. I suppose I'll try to find a wire substitute. What gauge welding wire did you use?
Did your covers slip over the foam(s) easily, or did you spray silicon or use the plastic bag method?
Is your finished product wrinkle-free?

Please post pics is available.

Thanks.