News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What am I missing? Charging question

Started by 66FBCharger, July 05, 2015, 04:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

I have a 69 Charger R/T 440. It has the voltage regulator that looks like the points style but has the electronics in it instead of the points.
The car has been sitting for about a month while I am doing carpet and interior. the dome light has been on while I work on the interior. Today I decided to take the car out for a shakedown before leaving for Carlisle Thursday. I put the battery on a slow charge for an hour before starting the engine and leaving the house. The ammeter shows about 10 amp charging and 15 amps on the highway. I drove about 20 miles or so and the reading doesn't see come back to zero.
I put a voltmeter on the battery while running. It reads 14.1 volts. I put a new regulator on and there is no difference. What do I check next? Bad ground? loose wire at ammeter? wiring? faulty alternator?
Thanks for your help.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

A383Wing

sounds like battery is low....everything else seems fine

66FBCharger

How long will it take to go back to 0?  I am going to put the battery on the charger again for an hour.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

Pete in NH

If you have a small battery charger, say 4 to 6 amps, it will take a while to charge a bigger battery. I would put the charger on it overnight and then see what the ammeter shows when the car is running. Say you have a 75 amp/hour battery and its down all the way, it would take a 4 amp charger over 18 hours to recharge the battery. I would leave the charger on the battery until the meter on the charger tapers back to an amp or two.

66FBCharger

You guys hit the nail on the head. I charged the battery for 2 hours or so on low, now the ammeter is at almost zero.
Thanks guys. I was worried I  had a bigger problem.