News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Grille repair

Started by charger_lady, April 01, 2006, 10:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_lady

I hope this is the right thread for this...I'm really impressed with the job I did on repairing our grille. It was in a bit of a fender bender back in the 80's (my husband still says he was turning the tunes up...but I saw him checking out the girl walking down the street...lol)
Anyways, I had to rebuild the corner on the left side of the grille. I also repaired a couple of other cracks,replaced the a few of the small fins,taped it all off & painted it. I sanded and polished all the trim pieces. I even got out the dings in all the trim pieces...even the 'I' piece. So all I wanted to do is show you guys some work I did...
BEFORE:

RIGHT SIDE USED FOR TEMPLATE:

AFTER:

THREE PLASTIC PIECES AND TRIM BACK TOGETHER:

OK, I know the trim has finger prints but I just put it back together and was sooooooo excited at how good it looked I had to take pics of my work ;D...when we compared it to another Charger ours looks brand new. It takes a ton of patience to tape off the grille for painting but well worth the effort. It looks way better than most restored grilles I've seen...the ones painted all black.
Please feel free to ask me about the grille restoration...I know it like the back of my hand, NOW!! :yesnod:

The Ghoul

picks are kinda dinkey to get the full effect but it looks good.

wylde8

It looks good from what I can make out.  Can you repost the pics a little larger?  Its really hard to see what you're looking at. 

Troy

Looks good. Those corner pieces sure are fragile. Did you still have the original piece? What did you use to fix the cracks?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

charger_lady

Quote from: Troy on April 02, 2006, 10:20:17 AM
Looks good. Those corner pieces sure are fragile. Did you still have the original piece? What did you use to fix the cracks?

Troy

Fragile...you're not kidding :o We went to install the grille at the body shop and I told everybody that was helping to be CAREFULL...well the body guy pushes the repaired corner and it broke!!!! AGAIN!!! I didn't worry too much, figured it was better to happen now before it was completely installed and on the road!! I repaired it AGAIN and made sure it wouldn't break...I applied pressure and it held!! Needless to say the body guy stayed away when I went to reinstall it...LOL
I didn't have the original piece,unfortunately, but I used the right side to make a template and found some strong plastic,cut and shaped it to fit like a glove! The cracks were fixed with "Evercoat Maxim Plastic repair system, medium urethane adhesive for repairing all types of plastics" and "grille silver" paint from 'Totally auto'.

charger_lady

Quote from: The Ghoul on April 01, 2006, 10:36:52 PM
picks are kinda dinkey to get the full effect but it looks good.

Sorry, I tried to get bigger pics up ;D

charger_lady

Quote from: wylde8 on April 02, 2006, 12:14:05 AM
It looks good from what I can make out.  Can you repost the pics a little larger?  Its really hard to see what you're looking at. 

I've tried to get them bigger...added some more though ;)

The Ghoul

looks great !!
the bigger pictures are alot easier to see your handy work... great job ;D

69fourspd

Looks really nice.  I will be repairing mine very shortly.  What black did you use on the grill?  Also, did you have any fins to repair?

charger_lady

Quote from: 69fourspd on April 02, 2006, 08:51:16 PM
Looks really nice.  I will be repairing mine very shortly.  What black did you use on the grill?  Also, did you have any fins to repair?

Thanks :icon_smile_wink:...Yes, I had about 5 fins to replace. I used 'T-8 Satin Black' super enamel by plasti-kote. When you do yours...BE PATIENT!!  Take your time because it can get very frustrating...but I would love to do it again!  :yesnod: Guess I need another Charger...lol :icon_smile_wink:

Chargeraddict

You can do my 68 grill if you really want.... ;)

Where are you from in Canada?, Im near London Ontario.

charger_lady

Quote from: Chargeraddict on April 09, 2006, 05:55:30 PM
You can do my 68 grill if you really want.... ;)

Where are you from in Canada?, Im near London Ontario.

If you're serious about your grille...send me some pics :icon_smile_wink: :yesnod:
I'm in the Hamilton,Ontario area...not too far from you ;D

Captain D

I realize that this thread has been inactive for awhile now, but if Charger_Lady is interested in restoring grilles, please let me know and I can send some pictures of mine as well...I've been short on time, so if you decide to help out, I would appreciate it! Thank you for your time and hope to hear from you! PM was sent...
Kindest Regards,
Aaron

autodynamics