News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WTH did I do? Power Steering Gearbox Question!

Started by Monziac, July 24, 2015, 06:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monziac

I rebuilt the gear box on my 68 Charger and reinstalled it. Everything operated smoothly. I started the engine and the steering wheel slammed all the way to the left under full power without me doing it. I tried pulling it back the other way but it was all resistance. Almost like a one way valve? I had to pull the belt off to get it back in the garage. What did I screw up?

Thanks,
Jon

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Monziac

graybo

I just had this problem.  Look on top of gear box where the hose attaches.  There is a top box (valve) held on by two bolts.  This is the valve that adjusts the fluid for right to left pull.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got it fixed!!!!   That valve body held on by two bolts is the adjustment for right and left.   I loosened the two bolts just a little and tapped the valve body up (toward steering wheel) and it quit pulling to the right.  Started pulling slightly to the left.  Another tiny tap down (toward front of car) made it work perfect.  I am amazed at what a difference that valve makes by just a hair tap up or down.  I did not have to pull the gear out of the car which was nice.  I could get to the two bolts with a 1/2 inch socket and extension