News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Operation Superbird: Bringing the Lemon-Twist Bird back to life: She's gone...

Started by hemi68charger, August 04, 2015, 07:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

D-day has arrived; Delivery of the car to the shop....

Prepped the car last night getting it to the front of the garage and today, making the trip, thanks for my buddy Dave, to the shop... Count down..... In the meantime, I'll start restoring parts I have and then store them on the "ready" shelves.... I'll probably get the leaf springs done along with the differential and front suspension done before completion. That way, I can quickly install the rear and front suspension and tow it back home with it's own tires instead of the anxiety-ridden dolly/casters..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

62 Max

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

Troy

Mopar John

Troy,
I know you have done your background check on the shop.
But do yourself a favor and check on the car/work every so often.
Also try to keep them moving on it!
Once they stop it's hard to get going again.
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on May 22, 2016, 09:29:31 AM
Troy,
I know you have done your background check on the shop.
But do yourself a favor and check on the car/work every so often.
Also try to keep them moving on it!
Once they stop it's hard to get going again.
MJ

Oh yeah... I have known this guy for nearly 15 years... We've had our peaks and troughs.. But, he is pretty darn skilled and knows his Mopar. It is my understanding I'll be pretty much his sole priority on this project. Monday all sheetmetal will undergo media blasting and then sit for a while for the metal to cure, then epoxy it all... Albeit he's a distance away, but I'll have no problem visiting every two weeks and spend time working on it.... Thanks for the input John..

Troy

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

hemi68charger

Not a whole lot has happened in the last few days, but I'm just glad they have the car inside after all these bad storms we've been having in Texas... think the photographer needs to change the clock on his camera...  :icon_smile_big:
Troy

Mopar John

Troy,
I find that the typical shop camera is way out of date.
Just look back on my pictures.
It will really jazz things up years from now when a picture is looked at on it's own and not part of your post!
MJ

hemi68charger

Operation Superbird:
At the strippers.... So, it begins... It's starting to feel a little like things are moving forward from the "big picture" aspect. My friend Smitty has the car and taking good care of it... I was back and forth about leaving the underside alone since it was in pretty good shape and I didn't want to have to duplicate the undercoating.. But, with input from my friend Dave, I'm going to press forward and have the complete car stripped. But, instead of painting the undercarriage with body color, I'm going to do what I did with my former '68 Hemi Charger R/T, use David Patik's factory primer paint to paint the complete undercarriage. Then, when the car is painted apply it as the factory did and let the overspray land where it will.... Looking forward to this process....
Also got my rear passenger taillamp bezel from my friend Ralph and got one of the two rear hood bumper support brackets I need to replace since they were modified by the original owner. In the box are my nose bezels that Mike Goyette, of Dayclona fame, will be fixing for me..
Troy

hemi68charger

Troy

hemi68charger

Troy

hemi68charger

Operation Superbird:
Just got my original Superbird bezels back from Mike G. of Dayclona fame.. They look great. Looking forward in getting these on the nose and painted up...
Troy

Stevearino

Great looking trim. Always nice to see quality is not a dead concept. :coolgleamA:

ws23rt

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 26, 2016, 02:34:24 PM
Operation Superbird:
Just got my original Superbird bezels back from Mike G. of Dayclona fame.. They look great. Looking forward in getting these on the nose and painted up...

I see what's on your work bench and it is very nice. :2thumbs:----The term "bench mark" come to mind when I see the bench you have in your pictures.

Your work bench tells many stories. :cheers:

hemi68charger

Quote from: ws23rt on June 27, 2016, 08:03:59 PM

Your work bench tells many stories. :cheers:

Many indeed.. It is the one thing I have left over from Grandpa... He was a bigtime wood craftsman... He loved building things out of wood..... This bench has been from South Florida to my parents house when Grandma and Grandpa moved in with us...... So, when grandpa passed away and my parents didn't want the bench, I took it.. I extended it another 4 feet duplicating his exact structure and material.....
Troy

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

68pplcharger

hemi68charger

Stripping....
Here are some pictures of the Superbird as of today. I was pleasantly relieved that the metal was as expected.. The car will go through a different step in the process this coming week and hopefully off to my friend's shop soon afterwards... Looks like I will be using the under support structure of the other hood I have... Should be an ok fix.
Troy

hemi68charger

Some more...
Troy

hemi68charger

Here You can see the modification done to the standard Coronet front fender. It is basically lead build up so the top body line meets the rear section on the top side of the cone..
Troy

hemi68charger

Some more... Again, it was nice having an original paint car, no surprises...
Troy

hemi68charger

Some more of the front..
Troy