News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Operation Superbird: Bringing the Lemon-Twist Bird back to life: She's gone...

Started by hemi68charger, August 04, 2015, 07:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

moparnation74

As TT said one slip and things can get dangerous fast.....I have done this in the past and learned quick it is dangerous and time consuming to tackle. 

I have a guy here in Ft Worth that does high quality Polishing/repair on trim...

Have you tried 0000 steel wool with polish?

hemi68charger

Quote from: moparnation74 on August 22, 2016, 08:40:47 PM
As TT said one slip and things can get dangerous fast.....I have done this in the past and learned quick it is dangerous and time consuming to tackle. 

I have a guy here in Ft Worth that does high quality Polishing/repair on trim...

Not yet, but I probably will.. I'm starting to remember once when I used that buffer and piece of trim got away from me and it wasn't nice..... I'll use the ole hands for now with the 0000 and polish...

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

73rallye440magnum

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 22, 2016, 08:55:36 PM
Quote from: moparnation74 on August 22, 2016, 08:40:47 PM

Not yet, but I probably will.. I'm starting to remember once when I used that buffer and piece of trim got away from me and it wasn't nice..... I'll use the ole hands for now with the 0000 and polish...

:badidea:

Don't waste your time with 0000 and polish.

Build some fixtures to support your windshield trim and buff in the direction of your trim (not across the width). Does that make sense? There are great videos on YouTube.

Send me a message if this is unclear.

Yes, metal buffing and polishing can be dangerous. Especially with these thin and flimsy trim moldings. Minimize the risks by educating yourself how to properly go about it, then work slowly!

Don't let a past bad experience compromise the quality potential of this high impact job.
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

hemi68charger

Trunk - Old is gone.........

More body work progress... Smitty has really gotten into the trunk, literally.. All the bad metal is gone. From the looks of it, the framerails and wheel wells look to be in really good shape....
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Hemi Runner

Very nice. That looks amazingly solid. You found a great one to restore. 

Mopar John

Troy,
I agree the wheel house's and frame rails look great.
Now all you need is a clean donor trunk floor!
MJ

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemi68charger

Double Wow !!!!
Well, didn't expect to see this, but it is only because I have never had a car down this far before.. Smitty and I made a command decision to go ahead and replace the complete roof skin since AMD makes such a good product. The rear filler panel is something that'll be replaced too. The plug is out and the roof is gone !!! Buddy Smith, what did you do !!!??? smile emoticon:-)
Rectorial question of course, he's making it better... Before you know it, it'll all be better.. The rear window plug is in great shape actually... Whew....

Looks like he may have found the original trunk key too
Troy

hemi68charger

Operation Superbird:
Here are the latest/greatest... Smitty took the Bird back over to the strippers to take care of the support structure and the back glass plug area (after removal). The car seems to still be in good shape without major surprises... So, it's press-forward time. I'll take the new roof skin and other parts I have probably next week. Hopefully AMD has the shipment on the way. Interesting picture on the roof.. Looks like there was a bonding application between the roof skin and support structure.. Don't want a rattle-can feel.
Troy

hemi68charger

Troy

C500

"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

wingcarenvy

Man, this thing is going to be beautiful when its done.  :2thumbs:

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

birdsandbees

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on September 25, 2016, 03:08:10 PM
why nothing to protect from flashrust?

Curious as well, my Bee was in zinc epoxy primer within 24 hours of being media blasted and continued to be blasted and primed throughout the metal replacement stages.

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

hemi68charger

Quote from: birdsandbees on September 25, 2016, 03:25:04 PM

Curious as well, my Bee was in zinc epoxy primer within 24 hours of being media blasted and continued to be blasted and primed throughout the metal replacement stages

Yes, that is the intention... The car isn't done yet with it's stripping process... Yes, we stripped it previously as is shown, but we wanted to further clean things after the bad metal, to include the roof skin, was removed.. Then, clean up the exposed areas THEN epoxy primer everything..... Just not there yet... It'll probably be done this week. Then, back to my friend's shop to start the brunt of the sheetmetal repair/replace...

Troy

hemi68charger

Quote from: wingcarenvy on September 25, 2016, 01:23:19 PM
Man, this thing is going to be beautiful when its done.  :2thumbs:

The car did come with the undercarriage sound deadener, but I will go the route of shooting the car with Patik's primer colored paint then do the regular intentional overspray of color like I did with my former Hemi Charger R/T...

Troy

hemi68charger

Updates: doors and fenders primered..

The doors and fenders are done with the stripping and clean up process.. Now, back to Smitty's shop to start the repair work. He says they are in great overall shape...
Troy

hemi68charger

some more... Sealed up with epoxy primer.....
Troy

hemi68charger

Troy

charger chris

i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

hemi68charger

Troy

hemi68charger

Troy