News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Traction bars on a superbird

Started by billssuperbird, August 21, 2015, 10:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billssuperbird

moparstuart

Quote from: billssuperbird on August 21, 2015, 10:07:19 AM
:popcrn: any one have pictures
i sold a pair to Rene he was going to put on his daytona , but i think he said he put them on his Super Bee instead 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

PettyMower

Traction bars should never be installed on Chrysler-built muscle cars. I believe the old Chassis Book even said it was a no-no.

A properly adjusted "Pinion snubber", along with a couple simple leaf spring tricks will drill the tires into the pavement.

moparstuart

Quote from: PettyMower on August 21, 2015, 11:23:56 AM
Traction bars should never be installed on Chrysler-built muscle cars. I believe the old Chassis Book even said it was a no-no.

A properly adjusted "Pinion snubber", along with a couple simple leaf spring tricks will drill the tires into the pavement.
yup they were totally a function of looks because they didnt do anything else
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

HPP

Snubbers and slappers both work on the same principle, a rotating axle housing presses them against the car to use its weight against itself when coupled with low or regular performance spring packs. Neither work on a properly set up set of competition leafs. Problem with snubbers if they aren't set right is they hammer the $#!& out of the rear of your trans tunnel. If slappers aren't set correct, they bend your main leaf into a piece of junk or hammer the $#!& out of your front spring mount. Slappers have the additional problem of hanging low and becoming a bottoming hazard on any dip or speed bump and potentially really tearing up your rear end mounting points if they make that ground contact. That concern alone is enough to prevent me from using them.

PettyMower

Thousands and thousands of drag races have been won by following the Direct Connection Chassis Book's guidelines and practices.

I've personally won my share of drag races with a custom-built pinion snubber that would DRILL the slicks into the track....every time!

I have no reason to doubt the Chrysler Engineers when they say to stay away from traction bars.

Plus, they make a Mopar look like a Chevy. And who wants that?

472 R/T SE

Quote from: PettyMower on August 21, 2015, 03:56:50 PM
Thousands and thousands of drag races have been won by following the Direct Connection Chassis Book's guidelines and practices.

I've personally won my share of drag races with a custom-built pinion snubber that would DRILL the slicks into the track....every time!

I have no reason to doubt the Chrysler Engineers when they say to stay away from traction bars.

Plus, they make a Mopar look like a Chevy. And who wants that?

this.

Now if you're running a truck Dana, you're excused.

nascarxx29

On the old side pipe post think a69 charger had them .never recall seeing ona wingcar.  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=78673.0
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

cdr

Caltracs work GREAT!!! & they look good

at the Hemi Hidout

they dont hang down as low as slapper bars
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

billssuperbird

I am going for the 70s look I put  tunnel ram with 2/4barrels and a blower scoop no hood look. I did keep all the original parts just in case I want to put it back.

Old Moparz

While not a wing car, here is my 1969 Satellite convertible the first year I had it in late 1984 or early 1985. It has the traction bars that I "had to have" but removed about a year later when I was schooled in why a Mopar didn't need them.   :smilielol:

I had just put the 1970 GTX nose on it so that's why there is no grille in it yet. It was my daily driver so it also has the new roof I had put on for that winter which consisted of two rolls of duct tape & a can of flat black spray paint. :D
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Mike DC

Old school traction bars were a popular way to fight GM & Ford's shitty leaf spring designs.  

Mopar leafs always had a shorter & stiffer front section from the factory.  They didn't benefit from the same band-aids.  

PettyMower

Seeing them on a Mopar, is like hearing nails on a chalkboard!

472 R/T SE

PettyMower, tell us how you really feel!   :smilielol:

PettyMower

HPP

Quote from: PettyMower on August 21, 2015, 03:56:50 PM

I've read the chassis book for decades and disagree with it on the point of using a snubber in a competition car. When I had my drag cars leaf suspension working properly, the snubber was worthless as a traction device because of the body separation created by the leaf action. The springs did all the work and the snubber actually moved away from making any contact.

Cal-tracs were developed by a Ford racer to simulate the asymetrical action of a mopar leaf pack underneath  the founders Mustang. They are much less effective under a mopar, but they still work.

472 R/T SE

Well that's backass wards.  Who runs a Mustang with Mopar springs?  Besides this guy?

I guess I didn't research them enough.  Actually, I don't think I did much in the way of that when installing mine.  I didn't install mine for performance though, mostly for looks.  We used a new set of MP springs & if you don't use the Cal Tracs mono leafs, you're supposed to use tired springs so we should have left the old springs on but oh well.

When I ran it at the track with slicks, my 60' didn't improve much & that's one feature of the CT.

wingcar

This is the only "Wingcar" I could find sporting Traction Bars, and it's actually a Daytona.
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

cdr

odcics2

The #6 Bettenhausen Daytona has them.  Bay Darnell told me that it allowed for a 'weaker' spring choice to allow the tires to stay on the track over bumps, but still drive hard off the corner when running 5:13 gears on dirt. They are not a "slapper" style, but a home made set up.  They can be easily seen on the photo below.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

odcics2

Quote from: odcics2 on August 24, 2015, 08:59:30 PM
The #6 Bettenhausen Daytona has them.  Bay Darnell told me that it allowed for a 'weaker' spring choice to allow the tires to stay on the track over bumps, but still drive hard off the corner when running 5:13 gears on dirt. They are not a "slapper" style, but a home made set up.  They can be easily seen on the photo below.

Here's the home made traction bars -
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

HPP

I'm having trouble seeing those on the car pictured above. Where exactly do they mount?

billssuperbird

What is the best way to install  universal traction bars. With the suspension hanging or not.

cdr

they need to be adjusted with the weight on the wheels, so i would say jack it up ,put them on & then lower it & adjust them.