News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So how hot are you

Started by 303 Mopar, August 22, 2015, 11:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

303 Mopar

I have a mechanical gauge on my '68 that usually runs around 180-190 degrees, and in stop-n-go traffic bumps up to 200-210.  I have an aluminum radiator with duel electric fans.  According to the stock gauge, 200 degrees is about in the middle.  I am just curious if this is a typical running temp or how hot is too hot?

1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

myk

That's exactly what I run at.  160 at speed when it's cold, 180 at speed when it's hot, 200-210 in traffic like cruise nights with the electric fan on blowing onto the stock 26" rad...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

John_Kunkel

200 is no problem with the correct pressure cap.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

303 Mopar

Thanks guys, that is good to hear.  So is 230+ too hot then?

myk

Yeah I'd start getting antsy about that number.  Maybe it's normal for others?  I know my modern F body's run at that 'temp...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

c00nhunterjoe

If you have an aluminum radiator and dual fans, you shouldnt get over 200, ever.

My 383 has a stock 3 row radiator and a flex fan, which are known for poor cooling, and i run rock solid 180 on a 180 stat. Idling i. Traffic on HOT summer days i MIGHT see 195.

While some may argue apples to oranges, the race car idles at 160-170 rock solid, 185-190 @ the end of the 1/4 on 100+ degree days in the pits. Its a 572 with not quite half the radiator most street cars have.

1974dodgecharger

Im so hot the ladies sweat when they see me...hell im sweating when I look in the rear view mirror..... :rofl:

On a serious note.....

I run 195 to 200 in Arizona when its 110 plus stuck in traffic for 3 hours with a 4 core radiator and 4 electric fans.....

myk

tan top

180 degrees most of the time  , idling for a long time on a really  hot day in traffic  , creeps up to 185ish -190ish   ,   use to go a little higher , until I fitted a fuel return line .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1974dodgecharger

Stegs

Quote from: tan top on August 24, 2015, 06:11:25 AM
180 degrees most of the time  , idling for a long time on a really  hot day in traffic  , creeps up to 185ish -190ish   ,   use to go a little higher , until I fitted a fuel return line .

same here

180 driving
195 when its warming up and the stat didnt open yet

idling in traffic its got up to 190

myk

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 24, 2015, 06:35:56 AM
Quote from: myk on August 24, 2015, 04:52:05 AM
4 fans?

2 pullers 16inch and 2 12inch pushers...

Interesting.  What fans are they?  I might want to consider your setup for my car...

303 Mopar

WHITE AND RED 69

My 440 with a big aluminum radiator and dual electric fans runs 170-180 and in traffic might get up to 200 on hot days. That is with an a/c condenser, a trans cooler, and an oil cooler in front so it would run cooler without all that crap blocking air flow.

Anything over 215 and i'd be pulling over.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

cdr

180-185 all day, A/C, 512 cid, 105 air temp, one 18in fan.  down here a fuel return is a MUST!!!!!
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Brass

~170-180 cruising, 180-195 idling out of gear, and up to ~210 idling in hot weather.  At which point it starts threatening vapor lock if I'm not moving.  Temps always come right back down though.  440, 22" radiator, stock fan, shroud, Milodon water pump/thermostat, and aux. trans cooler.  I have the heat crossover blocked, a carb spacer, and insulated fuel lines.

1974dodgecharger

Unless you live in a extremely hot climate like AZ then its overkill  :icon_smile_big: what I did.  having two 16inch pullers fan and 2 12inchers is not needed, but I like to stay cool as possible here in AZ engine wise.  With a lot of stop and go in 110 it will hit 190 in stop and go traffic that's with all 4 fans going one at once.

I bought the 180am idle and 320 max output...at: http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item_557/Chrysler-Mount-Mega-Amp-Alternator.htm

I also run the return fuel line 1/4....

Here is a video of the 16s running:
https://www.facebook.com/john.phommavongsa.7/videos/vb.1139523044/10203734454498739/?type=3&theater

Tom Q

I have news for those of you still in the 60-70's
195 degrees is not hot
210 degress is not hot
195-215 degrees is normal
220 dgress is warm
230 degrees is really warm
240 degrees is hot
Today's gasoline requires 195 degree min operating temp.
Less than 195 min temp the fuel will collect in the intake and burn off in the cruise mode.  This is only evident with a A-F meter. I realize this will not change your thinking but you have been advised.

myk

What about for those of us still living in the 40's?

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Tom Q on August 25, 2015, 05:03:02 AM
195 degrees is not hot
210 degress is not hot
220 dgress is warm
240 degrees is hot
Less than 195 min temp the fuel will collect in the intake and burn off in the cruise mode.  This is only evident with a A-F meter. I realize this will not change your thinking but you have been advised.

I have a A-F meter don't know what your talking about the 195 todays gas min. operating temp.   :popcrn: :shruggy:

justcruisin

195 degrees is not hot
210 degress is not hot
220 dgress is warm
240 degrees is hot

For what it's worth I doubt I could keep my engine out of detonation at the temps you say are OK, mine runs sweet at 180, has done for a while. Those temps may be OK on a late model injected engine but I personally think a running temp of 215 is too high, it also leaves no room to get hotter for any reason. I also run an o2 meter. :Twocents:

c00nhunterjoe

195 degrees is not hot
210 degress is not hot
220 dgress is warm
240 degrees is hot

You should really check your sources before making a comment like that. Todays engines are designed to run at higher coolant temps for emmisions purposes. Where did your information come from?

Paul G

My car runs hot all the time. With the A/C off it will stay under 200, 210 is where it runs at with the A/C on. Last weekend we drove up to high country. Pulling a grade in OD with the A/C on it hit 235 for a while. Back down to 210 when over the grade. In town with the A/C on and in slow traffic or stopped it will hit 220.

It has a stock and clean 26" rad, new fan clutch, high flow water pump, water wetter in the coolant. No preigntion with total timing at 34 dgrees. No burping out the coolant res either. I just hope it never seizes or blows up on me since I cant get it to run any cooler when it is 110 or more degrees outside.

Do I have a problem?
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Paul G on August 27, 2015, 09:38:00 PM
My car runs hot all the time. With the A/C off it will stay under 200, 210 is where it runs at with the A/C on. Last weekend we drove up to high country. Pulling a grade in OD with the A/C on it hit 235 for a while. Back down to 210 when over the grade. In town with the A/C on and in slow traffic or stopped it will hit 220.

It has a stock and clean 26" rad, new fan clutch, high flow water pump, water wetter in the coolant. No preigntion with total timing at 34 dgrees. No burping out the coolant res either. I just hope it never seizes or blows up on me since I cant get it to run any cooler when it is 110 or more degrees outside.

Do I have a problem?
I will say yes, thats too hot. In 100' weather i dont run that hot and my daily drivers dont either. Might consider replacing your stock radiator for an aluminum. What brand high flo water pump/housing do you have? Lots of test have been done and shown that the stock pump usually flows best and certain aftermarket housings actually cause overheating.

1974dodgecharger

U have to consider where paul lives also coon not many drive their classics in 110 plus.....very few classics would survive in that kind of heat am I wrong? Unless the cooling was over killed like what I did.....but that will ruin Paul's stock looking beautiful charger setup.

Paul G

Something else to consider. When I was fighting my over heating condition, coolant temps would climb to 240° and above if I would let it, which I never did. So I started to wonder at what coolant temp would the "HOT" light be illuminated on cars with no temp gauge? The answers I got were around 240°. Based on that I am comfortable with coolant temps getting to 235° for short periods. Cooler is always better, to a point.  
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Tom Q

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 26, 2015, 12:13:25 AM
195 degrees is not hot
210 degress is not hot
220 dgress is warm
240 degrees is hot
Less than 195 min temp the fuel will collect in the intake and burn off in the cruise mode.  This is only evident with a A-F meter. I realize this will not change your thinking but you have been advised.

You should really check your sources before making a comment like that. Today's engines are designed to run at higher coolant temps for emissions purposes. Where did your information come from?

excuse me there Mister my sources are the hours spent tuning six pak cars with instrumentation like a digital tach, a-f gage, temp gun, vacuum gage.  It's not about emissions its about burning the fuel properly. What's your experience besides an inflated opinion?? As usual I should keep technical  information to myself because you guys are always smarter than me.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Tom Q on August 29, 2015, 03:11:59 AM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 26, 2015, 12:13:25 AM
195 degrees is not hot
210 degress is not hot
220 dgress is warm
240 degrees is hot
Less than 195 min temp the fuel will collect in the intake and burn off in the cruise mode.  This is only evident with a A-F meter. I realize this will not change your thinking but you have been advised.

You should really check your sources before making a comment like that. Today's engines are designed to run at higher coolant temps for emissions purposes. Where did your information come from?

excuse me there Mister my sources are the hours spent tuning six pak cars with instrumentation like a digital tach, a-f gage, temp gun, vacuum gage.  It's not about emissions its about burning the fuel properly. What's your experience besides an inflated opinion?? As usual I should keep technical  information to myself because you guys are always smarter than me.
I didnt know our credentials were needed here, but ok, i'll throw a few out. Top secret military clearance, turbine expert, engineering degree, developmental testing background, drag racing background. Shall i post diplomas, awards, commendations and certificates as well? Since you want to throw out that im living in the 60s and 70s, yet your "high tech" tuning is merely a digital tach, 02 sensor and vaccum gauge; i will leave you with this- my last test for the military had over 400 channels of instrumentation on the engine and transmission. I think i know what im doing.

myk

1974dodgecharger

Im in favor of Coonhunter right now  :icon_smile_big: even without those credentials he has proven himself to me on the forum with his advice

sorry new guy, but you keep spatting out same stuff in every post  you been posting  ::)

c00nhunterjoe

I dont want to brag or boast, i dont like to claim to be better then anyone. I just dont like being called out as ignorant.

justcruisin

Nuff said, if you want to run at those temps - go hard, no odds to me, or any one else I suspect. I'll stick with what works for me.