News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Taking off dash frame assy on a 68

Started by runningman, August 09, 2005, 06:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runningman

Was wondering how difficult this was.  I am in the process of cutting out my floors and it sure would be alot easier if the dash assy was out.  I have the gauges out already.  thanks

Troy

Do you have the windshield out too? There are several (5?) bolts that run along the top of the frame directly under the windshield. If it's out then getting the dash frame unbolted is simple. If not, then it is pretty close to impossible.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Recharger

Definitely a pain in the butt.   If it's just a matter of getting more elbow room, I'd probably say try to work around it.   Then again, it all depends on the current condition of your car.   Is it otherwise fully assembled?   You'd need to take out the windshield to get at the 5 or 6 bolts that are hidden under the lower seal.   If your windshield is nice & clear and not leaking I'd think long and hard before pulling it.   Also you'd have to disconnect the vacuum lines and electrical harnesses, which would probably be hanging in the way even if the dash was gone.   Then there's the heater box.   Is this an A/C car?   There's all kinds of bolts and hoses and grommets and stuff that need to come off/through the firewall if you want to get it out.   My :Twocents: would be that if the car is assembled and running right now, leave the dash in place.   If it's in pieces, or you're planning to tear it down for paint or a rebuild I'd say go nuts and be thorough with it the first time through.   I just took mine out, and I'm a bit concerned about the process of putting it back in.   :ahum:

runningman

Thanks, yeah it is being taken apart right now.  I was going to have the windshield taken out to clean up and rust and take care of any holes.  I was hoping I could do it without taking the windshield out for right now.  It is going to have to come out some time though.