News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Charger 440 R/T 9806 Original Miles

Started by blinkey, August 26, 2015, 07:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blinkey

Ive been searching for about 3 months now to buy a 69 440 R/T matching #s car and had no luck. I found today a car for sale with 9806 documented miles. Problem is its silver with no vynal top and its a colunm shift.  Its a 440  #s matching trany and engine. Fender tag is there and broadcast sheet. Original paint.  The car is real nice. Its been decoded by Galen Govier. Lots of documentation.

Ghoste

blinkey

Its very Blaaaa, and its colunm shift

ws23rt

Silver and column shift sound like two big pluses ++----Is it true that a 440 with column shift was available?
Oops  I was thinking about a car with a clutch. :shruggy:

moparchris

My  :Twocents: only:  Get over the color.  They're not building them any more and you can't goto the dealer to order one in your favorite color.  I wish my Hemi 500 wasn't Green, but it is and I still have never regretted for ten minutes buying it.  Why?  Because it's a high quality car and if you look at enough 45 year old cars you'll see most of them are not what the sellers claim them to be.
If you really want a 69 R/T and you can afford this car buy it.  If you are close enough to see it in person and feel that it is an honest car, you may never get a chance like this again.
I know it's your taste and it's your money, but most everyone would love to have an A4 Platinum Charger.  You would certainly never have a problem selling it if need because of the color.

stripedelete

Silver is not the most photogenic color.  My car looks like dried mud in photo's. That car just needs Magnum 500's and some different rubber.

My silver R/T was column shift - no vinyl when I bought it 30+ years ago.  I immediately switched it to console shift.
It's still silver, but , it's now column shift with a vinyl top.  It looks great with the vinyl, but not better, just different.  I like them both!

If you're just going to look at it, the floor shift is great.  If you're going to drive it,,,, column shift.   I love the column shift.  It's not just "I'm getting old".  At 20 something I realized the floor shift was not the most comfortable way to go.  The console is too low for your right arm.   But,,, I liked the the way it looked.
:Twocents:

skip68

If it's legitimate and in great condition it's definitely worth the money.    :Twocents:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Lord Warlock

I'd say it was worth more than 50k.  Finding any low mileage matching engine cars are such a rarity these days that color shouldn't be important, someone will get it.  Vinyl tops rarely last this long without damaging the roof with rust, so not having the vinyl roof is better.  the only column shift available on a real RT would be the automatic on the column, which usually means it came ordered with a buddy seat folding armrest in the front, (which I found more useful than a huge console) there is more footroom in those as well.  You can manually shift through the gears on the column, just don't slip and put it into reverse...the car objects to doing this. 

I think many Real RT's could be worth 50k once renewed a bit.  If color is that important, repaint it the color you prefer, then redo it to stock later in 20 years when you're done looking flashy.  Original paint doesn't impress me much, mine had original paint up until I stripped it all off to make sure no rust was hiding underneath.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

myk

Chris is right.  The odds of you finding a car configured the way you want at the price you want are slim.  This isn't 1992 anymore, so I say buy as you are able to...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

TPR

1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

Bandit72

I'd buy it but wouldn't dream of painting over it being as low miles as it is....If the color bothers you that bad it sounds like you have a reasonable enough budget to keep looking  :Twocents:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Ghoste

Silver is an awesome color on these cars.

tan top

buy it !! :yesnod:  , fitting a vinyl top & changing to a floor shift with a console , is easy &  only a couple of weekends work  , once you got the parts  :yesnod:   , a nut & bolt resto on a  second generation ,  is a major headache taking 3 plus years , of weekends  , holidays & evenings after work  out your life doing it all your self  ,  ask me how I know  , & that's after doing the same work as a day job , 5 days a week / 9 hours a day  :icon_smile_blackeye:    :Twocents:  
think i'm getting old

buy the silver one  ,  :lol:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

PlainfieldCharger

70 sublime

With you being into used cars  have you ever wondered why this one only has this few of miles on it ?
Do they have lots of proof of its history ?

If you are looking for a car to drive this one will no longer be a low mileage car and a chunk of your investment will be gone

$50K in US funds turns into $75K Canadain just to pay for the car and the taxes when you get it here
Still have to get it here also $$

A car sitting that long you have to think not every little thing is going to work perfectly either

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Ghoste

E86/A47

It's a beautiful car! Mine was originally A4 and I hope to go back to it in a few years. The guys make some good points here but I am surprised they don't want more info before saying buy it. I am suspicious of the "original" miles....who buys a car like this and only drives it that many miles in 46 years? I'd be interested to know what kind of proof there is of that or even the story behind it, i.e. it was purchased buy a rich car collector who kept all his/her cars in a climate controlled garage and only drove them once in a while. Are there service records and is this enough proof?

I am also surprised with all the suggestions to change things like color, column shift, etc... Shouldn't a low miles original "survivor" car like this one supposedly is be kept that way?

Even with the additional pics I found below, I'd still like to see more.

Homerr

If it is indeed a 9,806 mile original paint survivor then I'm shocked that it isn't double this price.  Someone will buy it at this price and it'll roll across an auction stage soon.

E86/A47

QuoteIf it is indeed a 9,806 mile original paint survivor then I'm shocked that it isn't double this price.  Someone will buy it at this price and it'll roll across an auction stage soon.

I was thinking the same thing. If this is indeed a documented low mileage car with all the documentation then why isn't the seller bringing it to auction? Seems a little fishy.

He is planning on buying it today...

Sixt8Chrgr

If the car is what you are saying it is then it is a steal. Buy the car before someone like me does  ;D. I agree with the earlier posts regarding color, options etc. This is not a new car that you can just go and order what you want. The first thing I always look for when buying collector cars is just how good is the car. Not the color, the interior color, vinyl top or not. Is the body rust free, is the drivetrain original etc. The fact that this car has column shift may be why the car has the original drivetrain. Perhaps a non hot rod type ordered this car as a everyday driver but liked the sporty look of the Charger. I am speculating but you get my point. If the car is original paint, and shows well I certainly would not paint it. Buy a polisher with a foam wheel and polish the crap out of it. You will be amazed of the results. Additionally, I would not go and cut up the floor to install a console in the car. Enjoy the car for what it is. Sounds like an unmolested, honest car. There are just so few out there. Apparently, you know this since you have been looking.  :Twocents:

Challenger340

With 9,806 Miles "original" on it ?       A never redone "survivor" ?
IMHO,
At Auction it would easily surpass $50K, which makes me a little suspicious ?   

On another note....
My R/T SE is also a column shift and I like it just fine, far roomier with the buddy seat.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

blinkey

This car is a one owner and always been stored in climate controled area. I think Im goona listen to you guys,,,,,,I JUST BOUGHT THE CAR :nana:  Thanks to everyone,,,FREE BEER   the car is local and 40 minutes from me,,,,BOUNUS  New rubber and Magnums were part of the deal and he will install console shift

E86/A47

That's Awesome, Congrats Jon!! More pics when you have a chance.

303 Mopar

Quote from: blinkey on August 27, 2015, 12:21:51 PM
     This car is a one owner and always been stored in climate controled area. I think Im goona listen to you guys,,,,,,I JUST BOUGHT THE CAR :nana:  Thanks to everyone,,,FREE BEER   the car is local and 40 minutes from me,,,,BOUNUS  New rubber and Magnums were part of the deal and he will install console shift

That sounds like one sweet deal!  Congrats!   :cheers: :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible