News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Assembling the Engine, Which parts to save for last

Started by sext7366, April 04, 2006, 12:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sext7366

Ok heres what I have so far, crank pistons and rods are in on the 383, and I was just wondering what to save for last.  The oil pump instructions say to pre-prime it before installing by submerging it in oil, and rotating it.  So in essence it will have some oil in it, but at the same time over a few days this could drain out right? 
My plan is to install the oil pickup, followed by the cam (degree it), timing chain, then heads lifters rocker etc, then water pump housing thermostat etc, and save the fuel pump and oil pump until just before painting the engine. 

Does it even matter to do this stuff last, since the oil system will be primed anyway, and the fuel pump can't really be primed (before paint)?

67_Dodge_Charger

I would pre-prime the oil pump and close up the bottom end.  Add oil and the pre-prime oil will not drain out of the pickup. Assemble the rest of the engine, wipe the engine with a degreaser, tape areas you do not want to paint, use air to remove any lint or dust, and spray with paint.   :2thumbs:

I would wait to prime the engine after you get the engine in the car just before you install the distributor.  Connect your last few wires and start your engine.  Be sure to keep an eye on you oil pressure while cranking the starter.  You should pull the coil wire to make sure you have oil pressure before the engine fires.   :icon_smile_big:

Always have a friend with you during this important time.  When all goes well you can celebrate with an appropriate beverage.   :cheers:

my73charger

Just an idea on priming.  A buddy of mine made a long rod to stick down through the distubutor hole to spin the pump over.  I used it when I did my fresh 440.  It worked great!!  I think if I remember right is had toi be spun counter clockwise..not sure, maybe someone here will know.  We spun the rod with an electric drill until we got oil pressure.  Just an idea.  If you have or can locate the rod that connects between the distrbutor and the oil pump that is what he used to create this.

Chryco Psycho

just put some bearing lube in the oil pump , it will not run out