News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

360 won't start

Started by wilbur124, September 26, 2015, 01:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilbur124

I'm not sure where to post this, but I figure here is a good place to start.

I recently bought a 73 Fury with a 360 for my son.  It ran well at first and then started giving him trouble starting.  It finally died one day while I was driving and I towed it home.  It will crank over all day, but will not fire. I have checked all the basic things and am my wit's end (and that's not a very far trip).  We checked fuel: nice spray pattern into the carb and the plugs are wet. I changed the fuel pump anyway.  It is getting a spark, but we put a new distributor (and cap and rotor) in just in case.  The ballast resistor is good.  I bumped the timing mark to TDC (it calls for 5 BTDC) and the rotor is pointing toward number 1.  I haven't pulled the front cover, but I can't imagine the timing chain jumped 180.  Just for laughs, we put the distributor 180 out and still no joy.  Rotating the distributor during cranking does nothing.  :brickwall:

What am I missing?   :shruggy:  Has anyone got any good ideas?

My 73 Charger SE with a 440 wants a cruising buddy.

Dino

Maybe the coil is not getting enough juice?  Do you have another just to try?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Bronzedodge

Sounds like you covered all the bases.  You verified spark, in sequence?  Maybe make a positive stop tool and check top dead center vs the balancer.  An old spark plug w/ the porcelain hammered out (wear safety glasses )and tapped to about 3/8 works well.  Install in cyl #1 and rotate the crank by hand, w/ a ratchet, until the piston contacts your stop.  Note the distance from the timing mark 0.  Go the other way until it stops - the distance should be the same. I would put the timing back to 5 deg before, or better yet 10.  How about compression?
Mopar forever!

wilbur124

Oh yeah, I replaced the coil too. 

I haven't tried checking the actual postion of the position of the piston at TDC, mainly because I don't know where that 1 1/4 socket is hiding.  I'll buy another and check it out.  Thanks. 

polywideblock

when you say you have spark, is that with the ignition switch  in the run or the start position   . check both

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

wilbur124

I pulled the number plug and saw it sparking while cranking the engine (start position).  It makes no effort to start.  No coughing or spitting.  Just the wonderful sound of the old Chrysler starter we all know and love.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but how do I check for spark in the run postion if it isn't running?

A383Wing

put key in run position and jump starter relay with remote switch and then check for spark

polywideblock

Quote from: wilbur124 on September 27, 2015, 05:25:40 PM
I pulled the number plug and saw it sparking while cranking the engine (start position).  It makes no effort to start.  No coughing or spitting.  Just the wonderful sound of the old Chrysler starter we all know and love.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but how do I check for spark in the run postion if it isn't running?

I had same problem  when my ignition switch went .had to wait for a mate to come around and crank car for me ,its not a one man job  unless you have REALLY long arms or  a remote starter

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

wilbur124

Sorry, I'm a bit slow.  Do you mean the relay on the firewall where you can jump it with a screwdriver?

I can't go play with it because I'm out of town, away from the car.  I need to know what to tell my son.

A383Wing

Quote from: wilbur124 on September 27, 2015, 08:14:59 PM
Sorry, I'm a bit slow.  Do you mean the relay on the firewall where you can jump it with a screwdriver?

I can't go play with it because I'm out of town, away from the car.  I need to know what to tell my son.

yes, just make sure it's in park if it's an automatic or neutral if a manual trans

GN

I had that happen to me a while back.  Talked to another mopar guy and he said to try a new ballast resistor.  I did and it worked. Why? Not sure, because the br is bypassed during start up.