News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ideas for routing spark plug wires?

Started by suburbanfireman, October 09, 2015, 07:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suburbanfireman

Hi DC members.  I need to buy new plug wires, and I'm sick of buying things two or three times until I get it right!  I'm hoping someone out there has the same engine / head / distributor combination that I have, and would be willing to give a little advice / maybe even an engine bay pic to show how they routed / loomed the wires.  Here is what I have - 440 HP block, Edelbrock RPM Performer heads (with the damn angled plugs), MSD Distributor, and Headmen headers.  I'm in the same boat as others - the angled plugs + headers are giving me fits.  As I said earlier - I'm tired of wasting money on mistakes (I just melted my 2nd set of plug wires.)  Here is what I'm wondering from DC members running the same combo -

1.  Did you order custom wires, or buy "off the shelf" - if so what brand?

2.  What brand /type of spark plug wire holders keep the wires from melting?

3.  Maybe a pic of how you routed the spark plug wires.

"Thanks" in advance for any help / advice  :cheers:
Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I think I might be addicted to cars."

Jill Taylor: "Well, DUH!"

Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I'm thinking about checking myself into the Henry Ford Clinic!"

Mopar Nut

Not mine:

1) Firecore50 spark Pro Fit plug wires see firefighter3931
(with plug boots  http://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts/the-14270/overview/)

2) R&M Specialties Plug Wire Loom

3) Pictures (see below)
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Mopar Nut

Not mine

3) More pictures, different car, same idea
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

suburbanfireman

Thanks Mopar Nut.  :cheers:  I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge that is available on this forum. 

PS - I would buy from firefighter3931, but I have to go with Rick Gorski.  He lives nearby, and he made a set for my Uncle's 1967 Coronet.

Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I'm thinking about checking myself into the Henry Ford Clinic!"

WHITE AND RED 69

Have the exact same setup as Mopar Nut posted and has worked perfectly. Also Ron hooked me up with some wire covers to protect the boots from the headers.  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

suburbanfireman

Looking at the pics - you guys have the R&M horizontal setup as opposed to the vertical?  Is there a benefit between one / other?  Have a nice weekend. - Tim 

myk

I read that those looms don't work too well with pre-fit wires, and that they're more tailored to custom length wires.  Anyone know if this is true?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Mopar Nut

Quote from: myk on October 11, 2015, 08:03:52 AM
I read that those looms don't work too well with pre-fit wires, and that they're more tailored to custom length wires.  Anyone know if this is true?
That is true, in my upper picture, the number 8 plug is too short.

myk

Still, those looms are a great idea.  If I had known about those looms before I bought new plug wires I would've gone with a custom set instead...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

john108

bill440rt

I just picked up some individual looms & routed the wires (Firecores) under the headers.
http://www.made4uproducts.com/

Not sure I like routing them directly over the headers. I'd be concerned they would bake directly over the headers like that.
Do those looms have some kind of heat shield or something?
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: Mopar Nut on October 11, 2015, 01:13:34 PM

Yup, had Ron get me a custom set to fix the number 8 plug. But all the others fit without issue.

Quote from: john108 on October 11, 2015, 08:42:05 PM
How do those looms attach to the car?

They bolt up right to the valve covers.

Quote from: suburbanfireman on October 11, 2015, 07:49:49 AM
Looking at the pics - you guys have the R&M horizontal setup as opposed to the vertical?  Is there a benefit between one / other?  Have a nice weekend. - Tim  

The vertical will give a little extra clearance but I just prefer the horizontal ones.  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

myk

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on October 11, 2015, 08:57:38 PM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on October 11, 2015, 01:13:34 PM

Yup, had Ron get me a custom set to fix the number 8 plug. But all the others fit without issue.

Quote from: john108 on October 11, 2015, 08:42:05 PM
How do those looms attach to the car?

They bolt up right to the valve covers.

Quote from: suburbanfireman on October 11, 2015, 07:49:49 AM
Looking at the pics - you guys have the R&M horizontal setup as opposed to the vertical?  Is there a benefit between one / other?  Have a nice weekend. - Tim  

The vertical will give a little extra clearance but I just prefer the horizontal ones.  :2thumbs:

What brand plug wires are you running? 

WHITE AND RED 69

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

myk

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on October 13, 2015, 06:01:40 PM
Firecores   :cheers:

Ok, and I'm sure those are based on stock length wires, so stock-styled wires should fit with the exception of #8.  Do you recall how long that one had to be? 

Dino

Myk do you have the 7.5 stock or 8.5 mm wires?  I'm going back to a stock look and my Firecore wires are too thick for the stock brackets.  If you have the stock setup and my #8 wire is longer then we can do a trade.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

No actually I'm running 8mm Taylor Spiro Pros.  I was asking about Clayton's Firecore wires because I would like to run those looms we've been discussing.  If the Firecore wires fit then my Taylor's should fit as well, with the exception of #8, which I'd be out of luck without a custom length of course... :eek2:

Dino

My bad, I thought you had the whole Firecore set.  The cost of a single custom Taylor wire may make the short #8 wire look just fine.   :icon_smile_big:

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: myk on October 13, 2015, 06:49:11 PM
Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on October 13, 2015, 06:01:40 PM
Firecores   :cheers:

Ok, and I'm sure those are based on stock length wires, so stock-styled wires should fit with the exception of #8.  Do you recall how long that one had to be? 

The #8 wire is close to 35" long.    :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

myk

Quote from: Dino on October 13, 2015, 08:07:42 PM
My bad, I thought you had the whole Firecore set.  The cost of a single custom Taylor wire may make the short #8 wire look just fine.   :icon_smile_big:

I'm thinking that the wire may just not reach, period.  The headers don't help either lol.

I hope one day Ron and Firecore have a bout of tackiness and start producing the wires in electron blue like my Taylor's... :lol:

ottawamerc

I have the similar setup as yours except I have the hookerSupercomp headers, I was going thru MSD plug boots like crazy until Ron set me up with the Firecore wire set. Now with over 3500 Miles on them my #1 is just starting to show wear! I can't say enough about them or Rons service :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

BTW I also route my wires below the headers.

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

myk

bill440rt

IIRC Firecore offers wires in stock & header lengths. You can also order custom sets that you can specify length.

Dino, I have the 8.5mm set on my '68, I used a dremel/file to open up the stock loom brackets just a bit so the wires fit.  :2thumbs:   

I also prefer under the headers, see photo in my above post.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dino

Thanks Bill, I wasn't sure that was an option.   :2thumbs:

Lord Warlock

Only putting this one up to show a different set of wires, not the routing, sorry.  This was bling in the 70s and 80s, could use better seperators. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.