News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody ever tried FI Tech fuel injection?

Started by Rubberduck, October 28, 2015, 07:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

igozumn

The Fitech unit ready for installation.  I put the filter up close instead of back by the tank for ease of getting to it.  Didn't have to buy a mounting bracket that way too.  The covering on the hose is Powerbraid by Painless.  Expensive, but nice.

Installed, but not finished with the wiring at this point.  Couple clamps holding the hoses at the coil mounts on the manifold.

Went the temporary route on the O2 sensor.  There is a reinforcing bracket at the frame rail and firewall that had a hole in it, so I could tie up the wiring to the sensor.  Hardest part was getting the hole in the top of the pipe, LOL.

Had issues with a couple of the O'reilly's fuel injection hose clamps folding up when tightened.

The clamps I got at Napa were a little more robust and had little corrugation/strengthening grooves in them (visible on left under the screw).  Worked well, though standard worm groove may have worked ok in a pinch.

Ran the wiring for the controller and fuel pump through the back of the 4-speed hump with a hole and grommet.  (no pic)

What I started with.....

What I ended up with......

With new aluminum radiator.

I have 350 miles on it as of this morning.  First, the exhaust smell that has been present for over 20 years, is 95% gone.  Some discussions had it attributed to the high overlap on the 509 cam, but I had swapped that out 8 or 9 (probably more, LOL) years back for the next smaller grind.  Didn't make much difference and otherwise sort of regretted swapping it out, as it basically cut the nuts off.  With the Fitech, the midrange response feels like it has the old 509 cam back in it.  Top end is still suffering a bit, but that is to be expected with the smaller lift cam.  But, it does run good!  That just shows how off the tuning was on my carb.  I know the theory of how it works, how to tune it etc, but I just hated screwing with it.  You get back home, and it's too hot to work on, gasoline almost makes me sick if I get it on my hands....ungh.  So, I didn't mess with it.  The smell alone being gone, is worth every penny I've spent on it!  Cold starting is just like the car had been running for half an hour.  Get in, start it, drive off.  No stumble, coughing or otherwise complaining about getting woke up "this early in the morning".  If it runs this good now, imagine if it had the old cam in it.  And headers.  And better heads.  And......and......  
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

myk

I'm glad you like the EFI.  the most compelling reason for buying into Fitech (at least for me) is the tuning aspect; you'll be that much closer than monkeying with a 'carb.  Maybe someday....
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

John_Kunkel

Quote from: igozumn on April 29, 2016, 10:07:32 AM
Cold starting is just like the car had been running for half an hour.  Get in, start it, drive off.  No stumble, coughing or otherwise complaining about getting woke up "this early in the morning".  

How long does the starter turn before it fires? 2 seconds or more?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

igozumn

I'd say 2-3 seconds.  I've been meaning to do a cold start video and drive video.
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

igozumn

John_Kunkel

Quote from: igozumn on April 30, 2016, 04:50:11 PM
I'd say 2-3 seconds.  I've been meaning to do a cold start video and drive video.

You can reduce the cranking time by quite a bit by changing the prime adjustment in the handheld controller. Go to "EFI tuning", "crank and warmup" then change the #1 to around 200 and the #2 to around 10. YMMV

This changed my cranking time from 2 seconds plus to a half second.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RollinThunder

Wow, that thing sounds good.  '69 R/T SE.  Tan interior with B3 blue exterior and no vinyl top? Rare combo.  Then on top of that PS, PB, P/windows, 3 speed wipers, AC and 4 speed!  Very kool, and it looks like you are really having fun with it.
I have found that the Holley Street Dominator intake manifold is difficult to tune.  Below 2200 rpm it wants lots of fuel and timing, and then above that it wants less fuel and timing.
Couple of questions.1) I see it looks like your running vacuum advance from manifold vacuum source.  What is the timing when you crank the motor over and then what does it go to at idle when vacuum pulls in ( if it does)?
2) Is the intake manifold heated via the exhaust crossover passage? 

I don't think my motor will idle that lean (not heated).  Cranks at 17 degrees and pulls in another 9 when vacuum is generated at idle).  Idles in gear with 14 InHg at 640 rpm.

igozumn

John, I'll have to get in there and check it out.  I've not done much of anything other than drive it.   :2thumbs:  I know it could use some minor tweaking in the deceleration, but otherwise, I'm extremely happy with it.

Thunder, actually it's Q5 Bright Turquoise Metallic with a white vinyl top.   :yesnod:  Originally a 2peed wiper, auto on the column (I know, I know, I'm bursting your bubble, LOL) I put the 4 speed in and had the 3 speed wipers from my old 69.  I have no idea on the timing/vacuum.  It's all been untouched since I put the engine in, some 20+ years back.  If I think about it, I can check it at some point.  And yes, the manifold is heated.  I am not running the blockoff valley pan.

We need a laying rubber smiley.   :coolgleamA:

Mopar Nut

Here's some videos from Engine Power where they built a 440 using FITech and compared a carb later. The carb had way more horsepower.

http://www.powernationtv.com/episode/EP2016-09/512-cube-big-block-mopar

http://www.powernationtv.com/episode/EP2016-10/mopar-magic
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Mopar Nut

Quote from: cdr on May 03, 2016, 02:44:12 PM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on May 03, 2016, 01:36:36 PM
Here's some videos from Engine Power where they built a 440 using FITech and compared a carb later. The carb had way more horsepower.

where is the link showing less hp?  here is one showing some good info, http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5457981&postcount=17
The bottom link that will be available online 5/8/2016, 10:00 AM ET
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

RollinThunder

Igozumn,  LOL!  Thought maybe you added the 4 speed.  I love the fact that someone knows how to enjoy,  and drive them, like they were built to do.  
Thanks for getting back with me.  I believe that heating the HSD intake manifold is helping your idle get closer to stoich (than mine, which is blocked).  Good to know.

Lennard

igozumn

:drive: Dang it.  I even looked there too.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

WHITE AND RED 69

Watched this the other day and it was a cool build. But that carb was a fully tuned racing carb that was built specifically to make big power. So it better make some more power.

Quote from: igozumn on May 02, 2016, 06:41:14 AM
https://youtu.be/csYpyJuIjxU

Nice video. Car sounds great!
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

General_01

Put the MeanStreet version on the Bee yesterday and finished up today. Only drove it to the gas station and back so far. Might go for a little longer drive tomorrow.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Mopar Nut

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on May 04, 2016, 04:08:28 PM

Watched this the other day and it was a cool build. But that carb was a fully tuned racing carb that was built specifically to make big power. So it better make some more power.

I agree, that carb was set up to make big HP, but that FITech they used is capable up to 1200 HP.

Quote from: igozumn on May 02, 2016, 06:41:14 AM
https://youtu.be/csYpyJuIjxU

Your car sounds awesome, excellent job on the video.

Derwud

Quote from: Mopar Nut on May 09, 2016, 12:17:37 AM
Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on May 04, 2016, 04:08:28 PM

I agree, that carb was set up to make big HP, but that FITech they used is capable up to 1200 HP.

Key word is, tuned.. A real test would be a chassis Dyno after 1000 miles with the FiTech and then the carb, followed by real world driving test with the carb..
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

will

I've had enough, I'm pulling the trigger :2thumbs:

Mopar Nut

Quote from: will on May 09, 2016, 03:46:46 PM
Me too, I want one of these, of course for a Mopar.

68CoronetRT

I cant wait to get mine installed! It's sitting here looking at me everyday while I go work. Waiting on a friends garage to open up so we can get this going. Doing N02 at the same time... cant wait!!!

igozumn

Thanks for the comments guys.  I have an email into Fitech, but figured I'd ask here of those that have the system installed.  2 times now, after a hot soak, when starting it has just barely caught, ran for a couple seconds at super low rpm and died.  Then, when trying to restart/start, it just cranks and cranks and cranks.  May or may not be some pedal actuating, don't recall.  Couple more times just cranking and cranking with no start.  Let it sit a couple minutes and try again when it fires.  Wondering if the Crank Fuel 170F is where I need to go in and tweak it some???  Figured I'd post here in case someone has had the same issue.   :shruggy:

Like McDonald's, I'm lovin' it!

Charger4404spd

Quote from: Mopar Nut on May 09, 2016, 04:04:45 PM
Quote from: will on May 09, 2016, 03:46:46 PM
Me too, I want one of these, of course for a Mopar.

Been looking at that too.... just installed the Tanks,Inc tank and efi pump so Im ready :2thumbs:

raymond73

Hi i have a 69 Charger here i Norway and just get my fitech 1200 pluss and fuel comand Center Home and in the car!
First problem the vent valve on the fuel Center is pooring out gas (1 gallon in 60 seconds)  i have 5 psi in to the Center.
Second problem is the car starts and try to run for 2-3 seconds then stalls???
I dont use the timing control. I will use this later. I have a msd dis and 6al and i use blue wire ( tach signal) out of 6al. Red wire on start relay 12v. White wire on igniton key ???
I see some of you use some relay and diode fore the White wire????
Need some help here in the North!!!!

raymond73

I have fix the fuel comand Center IT was to hige at the float level sensor !
But i just try to run the engine with the White wire on the battery and the small red from the msd box to the battery but just the same result!!! Its run for 2 seconds and die!

HELP!!!