News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carter AVS Interchange

Started by Shakey, April 06, 2006, 06:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

I have a '69 Charger with a 440 and an automatic transmission and no AC. 

The correct Carter AVS carburetor for my car is a # 4618.  I am trying to find one to have replated / rebuilt but I am not having too much luck.

A few questions:

Will a Carter AVS from a 383 automatic w/o AC (# 4682) bolt right on and work properly?

What is the difference between the two carburetors?

Will there be any performance issues?

Can I make a 4618 out of a 4682?  What will I need to change?

Will the 2 piece fuel pump-to-carburetor lines that I purchased based on my 440 engine fit?

What is difference between a carburetor from a car that had AC or a manual transmission?

I am interested in having a carb, torn down, replated and rebuilt but of course I don't want to do that if it is not going to work properly.  Some of you may know that I am aiming for a "stock" Charger, yes I even want the #'s on the carburetor to be correct.

Any help on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Shakey

chargerbr549

I was just reading an article in one of my old Mopar Muscle mag's, it stated the 440 magnum was the only one with the big primary throttle bores at 1.687" and the std 440, 383, and 340's all had 1.437" primary throttle bores, all secondary bores were 1.687", the big one was rated at 750 cfm and it doesn't say what the smaller ones were. The factory manual states that the 440 magnum with auto trans and A/C got a different carb, one of the differences was it had a hot idle compensator, otherwise I think most of them are interchangeable, although performance could suffer a little bit.

Kevin

Shakey

Thanks for the reply Kevin.

At the same time, does anyone have anything to add?

I know I could just slap an aftermarket carb on there but I would really like to keep it all stock.

hemigeno

Shakey,

Do you want a concours-style restored carburetor?  I know a guy or two that could probably set you up, since the 4618s are fairly common.  One of them probably has whatever date code you need as well.

Geno

Shakey

Quote from: hemigeno on April 12, 2006, 07:02:44 PM
Shakey,

Do you want a concours-style restored carburetor?  I know a guy or two that could probably set you up, since the 4618s are fairly common.  One of them probably has whatever date code you need as well.

Geno

Hi Geno,

Yes, I am interested in hearing more about what these folks have available.  I recall the one you had done a while back and fell in love with it.  Same guy(s)?

Up to this point I have been looking for a core to have replated and rebuilt and have another lead on one this morning.  I have come across some used / rebuilt ones that seem pricey ($250.00 USD for a core and another $200.00 USD for the rebuild service) for what they are.   

I spoke to a gentleman in Quebec (D R S Carter Specialty Inc.) that was / is a Carter Factory Technician.  He rebuilds / restores them at home.  He is charging $750.00 CDN for a fully restored AVS with brass & cadmium plating.  He sold me on the process over the phone but the $750.00 CDN is not laying under cushions of the couch. 

I have a customer in Montreal that I could go and visit and at the same time, stop by and see what he has to offer as when I am planning on spending that kind of money I like to see the product in person prior to the purchase.  I will say, the price is a lot more than I planned on spending but it just might be worth it.  As he had stated, the rebuilt Autoline Carburetors out of Winnipeg, MB ($365.00 CDN w/o a core) are like "fast food" while the carburetors he creates would be like a "five star meal".

Please send me some info on these fellas you had in mind.

Thanks Geno!

hemigeno

Shakey,

Man, you got it right about the variety of restorations out there.  I don't know what the answer to the question is about how much to spend on a carb resto.  I gotta believe there's a lot of work involved with doing one "right", so you would expect to pay for that to some degree or another.  There are almost certainly a ton of guys besides the ones I'm listing, but these are the only ones I've either had experience with, or other people I know have raved about their work.

R.D. Katter  -----  Dick has done three carburetors for me now, and does all of Roger Gibson's carbs
11135 Poplar Ford Trail
Manassas, VA  20109-2127
(703) 754-7547

Concours Creations   -----  David Patik has used these guys often, and recommends them highly
615 Cypress Ave
Orange City, FL 32763
(386) 774-4686

Board member resq302 is currently using a company that he says is doing a concours-style resto for what I thought was a reasonable price.  I can't speak to what their handiwork looks like, but resq says he'll have the carb back in about a week.  Maybe he can post some pictures of what the finished product looks like, along with his opinions. The company he is using is:

Custom Rebuilt Carburetors LLC.
200A Wood Avenue
Middlesex, NJ 08846 
732-356-4333
customrebuiltcarbs.com

There's another carb resto thread ongoing here:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,12151.0.html

I posted some pics of the latest carburetor Dick Katter restored for me on that thread.  He charged me $350, but I provided the core carburetor, NOS dashpot/bracket (only on 4-speed carbs) & NOS choke pull-off.  More than likely, he has whatever carb you're looking for with about any date code you want already sitting on the shelf.  Might be worth a try, but you might have to check under the cushions a couple of times...

Geno

Shakey

Thanks for this information Geno.

I'll look into this in the next couple of weeks.  I am going to take a break from looking as I should focus a bit on my customers and I am taking my Family away on vacation next week.

I could use a break.

Thanks again for the contacts.

I'll let all you folks know what happens.

Mike