News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flooding and hard to start when hot?

Started by volk68, April 06, 2006, 10:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

volk68

I am running an Edelbrock carb on my 440, which is basically stock except for a modestly larger cam.  I have changed the metering rods on the carb and re-jetted for my altitude, and she runs great.  The only problem I am having is during town driving, or when the car gets hot (like after a 35 mile jaunt on the highway), I will have to hold the accelerator wide open to get her to start.  If I try to accelerate quickly shortly after this type of start, she will surge and try to die.  I've noticed this is particularly true when hot, although the car is nowhere near overheating.  Is there any way I can get this thing running right?  It is really embarrasing to sit and have to crank forever and try to clean her out all the time, not to mention that first high RPM at start.

Someone help me tune this thing!

my73charger

I think your boiling your gas.  You should buy one of those heat resisting gaskets to put between your carb and the manifold. 

firefighter3931

:iagree: Another thing that helps besides the heat insulating carb gasket is using a 1215 intake manifold gasket which blocks off the heat crossover to the intake and keeps the fuel cooler.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

moparjohn

I had the same problem, used the spacer- no dice- tried everything and nothing seemed to work. Bought a Holley- perfect out the box and no more boiling fuel or hard starting.
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

warlock

I'd check to see if fuel was running into the carb after turning it off. Like if the float was set too high, as this would cause hard starting when the engine is up to operating temp. Sort of like flooding out. You can easily tell if there is gas dribbling into the carb. After the car has warmed up to temperature, remove the air cleaner and then watch the top of the carb and shut off the engine. If you see "steam" rising from the carb, your carb is leaking fuel. Most likely from a float level set too high. Just a thought.

NHCharger

Had this problem on my 383. I had the fuel line and in-line filter to close to the headers and was boiling the gas in the fuel filter.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

deputycrawford

Yes, boiling gas. Extremely common problem with Chryslers. The y factory tried fixing it with foil pillows under the intake. I put an insullating carb spacer and a retun fuel line to my tank. Not qiuet gone but very rare when it does it now.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.