News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another torsion bar question

Started by RECHRGD, April 06, 2006, 10:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

I've got the rest of the front end back together and will be installing the new Mopar .96 torsion bars this weekend.  When inspecting the new bars I noticed a very slight curve to them.  Others have stated that you only need to be concerned with getting the bars installed on the correct side of the car and that the part numbers should be at the rear with the solid line in the vertical position.  When I took out my old bars the line was in the horizontal position.  I would assume that the slight curve in the bars would dictate that they must be installed with either the arc going up or down.  I want to get this right the first time for a change.  Any experts on this out there?  thanks, Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

RECHRGD

13.53 @ 105.32

71charger_fan

I've looked in the'68 and '71 service manuals. All that is addressed in either one is to make sure that the right side and left side torsion bars are not switched. There is no mention of a front or rear to the bars or any other concerns about orientation other than side to side. I don't remember there being any bow to mine when I got them. I would tend to think that if there is a bow, it probably should go up as it would tend to sag over time but that's merely a guess.

Chryco Psycho

most I have seen have the line at the rear horizontal , as far as  a curve in the bar they should be straight & a curve will make no difference other than possibly header clearance

resq302

Ok, not to hijack this thread but when I got my car years ago, the brainiak previous owner at some point installed the torsion bars on the wrong sides.  It does not appear to have caused any problems with the car as it has the correct ride height and such.  Since they were installed backwards and there is no signs of the car being effected with ride height or suspension, should I still replace them?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

hemihead

Quote from: resq302 on April 07, 2006, 02:11:25 PM
Ok, not to hijack this thread but when I got my car years ago, the brainiak previous owner at some point installed the torsion bars on the wrong sides.  It does not appear to have caused any problems with the car as it has the correct ride height and such.  Since they were installed backwards and there is no signs of the car being effected with ride height or suspension, should I still replace them?
I am surprised one or both haven't broke because they are made with a twist built into them.That is why putting them in the correct sides is critical.I would at least switch them to the correct sides.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

tan top

Quote from: hemihead on April 08, 2006, 07:18:05 AM
Quote from: resq302 on April 07, 2006, 02:11:25 PM
Ok, not to hijack this thread but when I got my car years ago, the brainiak previous owner at some point installed the torsion bars on the wrong sides. It does not appear to have caused any problems with the car as it has the correct ride height and such. Since they were installed backwards and there is no signs of the car being effected with ride height or suspension, should I still replace them?
I am surprised one or both haven't broke because they are made with a twist built into them.That is why putting them in the correct sides is critical.I would at least switch them to the correct sides.
     :iagree: switch them back at least, i would buy new bars .because they have been twisted (stressed ) the wrong direction though.
                RECHRGD  , i have never seen torsion bars with a slight curve, i have always installed them with grove at the end straight up.
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

resq302

The torsion bars were swapped back to the correct sides a couple years ago when I noticed that they were installed on the wrong sides.  If they have not cracked in the last 3 years since they have been corrected and my ride height or handling has not been effected, I doubt I will swap them out with new ones at this point mainly cause I am very limited on money.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

TylerCharger69

It seems to me,  that if the torsion bars  are on the wrong sides...instead of tightening up the "twist"  that's in them....it seems to me that it would be  loosening the twist, thus  making the car drop lower than it's supposed to.....once again...just a hunch.   I'd replace them.   As far as a bow....that should not be there.   They should be straight.   Perhaps  that bow occurred because  of being on the wrong side??    Just another hunch!!!    Good Luck with it!! :icon_smile_wink:

Chryco Psycho

if they seem to be fine why replace them ?
I would leave them

resq302

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 09, 2006, 12:51:01 AM
if they seem to be fine why replace them ?
I would leave them

Well, I have to disassemble the entire front suspension to correct the upper and lower control arm colors as the previous owner painted everything semi flat black under the car.  So my thought was that while I had the out, I may as well replace them so everything in my front suspension would be new.  Basically, this and my brake lines and the restoration back to factory specs of the front brakes is the only thing on my charger I have left to do.
Brian

Chryco Psycho

well you control the budget & T bars are not hugely expensive