News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Suspension on a budget

Started by richard parker, November 12, 2015, 11:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard parker

Hey guys I'm doing lots of stuff to my 68 right now rebuilding a 440 Rebuilding the transmission and will be getting new wheels and possibly paint.  I want to get a nice low ride height and half decent handling but don't want to spend the big bucks on hotchkis or ride tech just yet can anyone give me some recommendations of what I should look at and what parts I should buy?  Right now I'm more into the looks so nice would like to go on the lower side   

myk

Cheapest possible?  Stock parts and lowering blocks or worn out leafs for the leaf springs.  You can also crank down your torsion bars low but your alignment may have issues...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

richard parker

Quote from: myk on November 13, 2015, 01:29:51 AM
Cheapest possible?  Stock parts and lowering blocks or worn out leafs for the leaf springs.  You can also crank down your torsion bars low but your alignment may have issues...

Lol I didn't mean the cheapest possible sorry I made the post in a hurry I was just trying to ask for a cheaper alternative just not the 3000 dollar range like hotchkis I'm looking to spend half that right now and achieve a nice look and a improvement in handling

myk

Well assuming your base suspension is in good shape, you could temporarily squeak by with getting a fatter front sway, installing a rear sway, upgrading your shocks to Bilsteins or Hotchkis/Fox, and lowering blocks for the rear springs.  Oh and don't forget subframe connectors.  Even if you bought the Hotchkis version of the parts I listed you would still come in at about $1200, give or take?  You will notice the GREATEST suspension performance increase with those parts.  The other parts, like the UCA's, strut rods, steering rods, are super expensive, especially from Hotchkis, but don't yield as much bang for their buck...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

garner7555

I agree with MYK.  You might also put in some larger torsion bars.  PST did sell some 1.03" bars that automatically give you a lower ride hieght and better handling.  I used these PST torsion bars along with Hotchkis 2" lowering leaf springs.  I agree with MYK, go with sway bars, lower it, and freshen up all the worn suspension bushings/joints and I think you will be happy.   :yesnod:   
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

HPP

First and foremost, you have to have good bushings and joints. if these aren't up to snuff, nothing else helps. Your stock leafs shouldn't be particularly tall, but turn down the T-bars to level out the car or drop the nose slightly.

If the bushigns are good and the budget is really tight, then try this;
1x2 bolt in CE sub-frame connectors welded in. $115.
Bilstein shocks. $440
Addco 1.125" front sway bar. $175
Addco  .75" rear sway bar. $135

Total of $865.

Don't forget a radial friendly alignment to go with your lowered suspension( assuming you have radials and power steering) As much positive caster as possible, -.5 caster, 1/16 to 1/8" total toe in. Call this $100 and you can significantly improve the feel for under a grand.

Shocks really, really make a big difference which is why they are such a big dollar item. Think of them as the camshaft of the suspension. However, if you really need to keep the budget tight, gas charged gabriel or Monroe shocks will improve things over basic oil shocks and won't be overwhelmed by stock springs and T-bars. If you ever step these up though, you'll need better shocks.

richard parker

WHITE AND RED 69

First what is the condition of the current parts and what is the end goal of how you want it to handle? Does everything currently installed need to be replaced or do they still have life left in them?

I agree with all the above comments on the basics. Great shocks, sway bars, a modern alignment, and subframe connectors give you a nice ride. But if you are replacing upper control arm bushings and ball joints and then planning to replace them later on for something better, you might as well go with a new set of upper control arms now. QA1 has a great set of upper control arms for $300 with additional caster built in along all new bushings and ball joints installed. This way that part of the suspension in done and won't have to be replaced when you start adding on other newer parts.

My list on a budget would be:
subframe connectors-$200-$400
QA1 upper arms-$303
Hotchkis front sway bar-$272
Firm Feel heavy duty tie rods-$250
Hotchkis/Fox shocks-$530
Lowering blocks-$40
Rubber lower control arm bushings-$25

For around $1600-$1800 you have some top shelf parts that will handle nicely and complement any other part you add on later.  :Twocents:  
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

303 Mopar

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on November 13, 2015, 04:48:09 PM

My list on a budget would be:
subframe connectors-$200-$400
QA1 upper arms-$303
Hotchkis front sway bar-$272
Hotchkis/Fox shocks-$530
Lowering blocks-$40

For around $1600-$1800 you have some top shelf parts that will handle nicely and complement any other part you add on later.  :Twocents:  

I agree with this list, but on a tight budget I would change a couple things:
subframe connectors-$200-$400  -  Make your own for $80 (1 x 2 x 1/8" steel tube, measure and cut and weld them in)
QA1 upper arms-$303
Hotchkis front sway bar-$272  - I would add a Firm Feel rear sway bar $375 (they look stock going up and over the rear instead of below like other after market ones)
Hotchkis/Fox shocks-$530   -  Bilsteins from PST are $409
Lowering blocks-$40

Total - $1750 + shipping

** Hotchkis should be having a Black Friday sale coming up
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

richard parker

Hmm Thansk for the input guys I got some decisions to make.  I saw the hotchkis total vehicle system on sale for 2200 I'm almost thinking of should just bite the bullet.  What do you guys think of the TVS system from hotchkis

303 Mopar

Quote from: richard parker on November 14, 2015, 06:29:34 PM
Hmm Thansk for the input guys I got some decisions to make.  I saw the hotchkis total vehicle system on sale for 2200 I'm almost thinking of should just bite the bullet.  What do you guys think of the TVS system from hotchkis

It's good if you are going to auto-x, otherwise it may be overkill.

garner7555

Its a great system.   It all depends on how much you drive your car and what you want.  :shruggy:   I think upgraded suspension, chassis stiffening, and brakes are all a must.  Even if you don't race, you never know when a deer will run out in front of you.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

HPP

Tubular sway bars are all the rage these days and they are good to have, but plain old solids will get the job done just as well for a cruiser or a budget.

Big tie rods don't do anything for handling either. 9/16 size that is stock on a Charger will withstand 5gs of loading. Sounds like a lot more than any of our cars can lay down.

myk

$2200?!  I paid almost $3500 for that setup!  Some of the guys in here and I are running Hotchkis pieces; you will NOT be disappointed.  Bite the bullet, and buy once, cry once...

johnnycharger

Can you post the link for that?

richard parker

Quote from: johnnycharger on November 15, 2015, 10:58:14 AM

I've seen it on sale in the past but currently it's alot more.  Going to see what it is on black Friday

richard parker

Quote from: johnnycharger on November 15, 2015, 10:58:14 AM

Its on sale right now for $ 2500  on the hotchkis website

1974dodgecharger

mine has the hotchkis setup, but the prices peopled quoted are retail and they do not sell em retail as we all know  :icon_smile_big:

richard parker

price for hotchkis tvs is now 2351.00 in anyone else is interested

myk

Seriously?   I easily paid more than a grand for that just months ago....

richard parker

Quote from: myk on November 26, 2015, 06:22:29 PM
Seriously?   I easily paid more than a grand for that just months ago....

Yea its 25% off.  That sucks man I would give them a call and see if you can get them to price adjust atleast a portion

sixty-niner

Im interested, can you post a link to that price??? thats a great price.

303 Mopar

Quote from: sixty-niner on December 28, 2015, 12:56:26 AM
Im interested, can you post a link to that price??? thats a great price.

Hotchkis runs their 25% off sale every once in a while usually around a holiday or other occasion, last time was Black Friday weekend.  They told me next time will be in early spring.  Get on the email list and they will send you a notification.