News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

header bolts

Started by ramminon, April 06, 2006, 01:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramminon

I have a 440 create motor, when I took the header bolts out anti-freeze started coming out of the bolt holes. The bolts were out of a chrome dress up kit that the previous owner installed. Can I assume that the bolts broke through the water jackets and what damage if any do you think this has caused? Also are the heads now junk??

Thanks
1973 Charger Work in Progress

firefighter3931

Nothing to worry about....that is normal. The holes go all the way into the waterjacket. Use high temp "copper" silicone on the bolts when re-installing and you'll be fine.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

sixty6charger

:iagree: Listen to the man, he knows his stuff. Don't sweat it, but you may want to drain the engine first or you'll have a big mess.
"...now bring me out those cheese sandwich appetizer you talked me out of."

crzyc68

Would it work ok to put studs in the holes that are drilled all the way through?  The holes that are drilled all the way through are the first and last?

firefighter3931

Yes, the first and last holes are "wet". No problem using studs if you want....just use copper sealant on them to keep the coolant inside the engine.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ramminon

1973 Charger Work in Progress

RallyeMike

The only downside to studs is that they can make header installation and removal more diffiicult in tight engine bays.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

BigBlockSam

i have never had good luck removing headers. i always seem to run into a snag. good luck with your project. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

deputycrawford

I tried the stud thing on my first and last holes and couldn't get my headers on at all. I took them out and used all bolts.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.