News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 from '65 coronet

Started by moparaddict, April 06, 2006, 03:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparaddict

Hey guys, I have a 383 engine from a '65 coronet and was wondering if it is a fit for a '72 charger that now has a 360 in it? Also if it fits what would you put on it as far as high performance goes? I think the 383 is rated at 325hp as it sits, is that right? Thanks for any info!

Sledge57

Well personally I'm a BB kinda guy, but, if had what you have I'd sell the 383 and take that money and the money you'll spend on the swap and beef up that 360.

You need a different trans to run the BB for a start, and mounts and exhaust etc.........

The 360 is only giving up a few cubes, is less weight, is already in the car etc.......

It's just what I'd do but what ever you do have FUNĀ  ;)
Doug
POS Pedal Car
Best to Date: 11.93 @ 113.41

POS Pedal Car Vid

Steve P.

What happened to the 65' Coronet?? :icon_smile_question:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

moparaddict

I was looking at purchasing the motor and do not know what happened to the car other than it had low milage. After getting similar advice from other sources we will probably go with the 360 and beef it up [new to the scene and learning lots!]

sext7366

Just to be different I would say skip the 383 and go with a 440...only if you are wanting big horsepower numbers.  Don't get me wrong I assume this is for a street car, and the 360 will scream with all the aftermarket parts available, but I currently have a 383 which when I bought it allready had a single plane intake.  I have upgraded to headers and will probably go with a comp 274 hydraulic cam...but even with this and an 800cfm carb I will be lucky to make it close to 390hp.  To some this seems like alot for a street car, but considering the parts available for an equivalent 440, I would be more around 450hp just based on the cubic inches...so the 360 is a great way to go for the $$$ but if you have a little extra I would go with a big block 440. ( Ialready had the right tranny and a 2800 stall though, and all the extras add up quick.)