News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cant get my cam out

Started by 73chargers4404, April 06, 2006, 07:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chargers4404

has anyone have had trouble getting there cam out ,ive torn down dozens of 440"s ,and have  never had this mutch trouble .all the lifters are down and i got the access galley bolt out where the fuel pump shaft is,the shaft will not move for nothing ,ive tried to put a per of vice grips on it and beat it with a mallet and you cant get it tight enough to keep the grips from sliding.ive soked it wd40 and marvel mystery oil.and still nothing?and all i busted the bolt in the cam trying to turn it. any help would be great

firefighter3931

How about removing the freezeplug from the back and pushing it through to the front ? A block of wood and a hammer might do the trick. I haven't encountered this issue either, but that's what i would try. Sounds like one (or more) of the journals has rusted/seized to the cam bearing(s). Good luck.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

dodge freak

I always change the cam with the engine still in the car. So that block of wood trick won't work for me. Can you tell what is holding it. Is it the fuel pump rod. What do you mean the lifters are all down? You mean out right?  If the camshaft won't turn then I say the bearings ran dry of oil and welded itself to the cam. Thats major problems, You will have to pound or press it out from the back of the motor. The cam bearing might come out with it. Like the last guy said Good Luck.

73chargers4404

all lifters are gone ,motor is on a stand ,with nothing but the cam in it .how can you get the freeze plug out with it right against the cam.this problem is crazy

firefighter3931

Try Tapping on the front of the cam with a block of wood and hammer to see if the cam will move at all. Hopefully it will push back a bit and start to move the rear frostplug enough that you can get a grip in it with some pliers. Hope that makes sense.

The only other thing i can think of would be to drill out the freezeplug with a holesaw to create access to the back of the cam, then push it through. I'm assuming this engine is being torn down for a rebuild anyway so it will need to be hot tanked and cleaned thoroughly before reassembly anyway.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

tecmopar

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly but is it the fuel pump push rod thats stuck and won't slide out. I've had a few of those do that. They mushroom on the cam end and can be a bear to remove, plus they always seem to be up just enough to stop the cam from coming out. If thats not it, and it is out of the way then you'll need to take the block off the stand, pop out the rear plug and use a brass punch to whack the cam out the front, good luck.

73chargers4404

yah its the fuel pump rod thats stuck ,the damn rod wont budge

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img