News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Torque versus horsepower

Started by sext7366, April 06, 2006, 10:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sext7366

As far as the cam choice I have run into a second question, which one is more important torque, or horsepower...yeah Ive got a 2800 stall and dont need torque for takeoff, but hmmmm when looking at my desktop dyno computer program, and punching in different cams, they were all in the same basic area, but the only differences were higher hp and lower torque, or vice versa...I know it is a tradeoff, but which should be key on a street/strip type engine, maybe try to keep them both high by choosing the middle cam?

firefighter3931

With a 2800 stall and 383 cubes you should be looking at a cam in the 225*@.050 duration range with a 110*lsa. The idea is to have the cam come on where your converter stall speed hits. Going too big on the cam leaves a hole between the actual stall and the engine's powerband with that specific grind. This makes the car feel real sluggish off the line and not much fun to drive.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

sixty6charger

I'm sure what firefighter said is what you really need to know ,but I'll add this point just for the heck of it.

In simple terms torque is acceleration. Torque is what gets you moving in a hurry while HP is what keeps you going and builds upon that initial acceleration. That's where high horsepower come into play.

Or am I completely wrong. That's how I always interpreted it. Like I said, it is a laymans definition. :P
"...now bring me out those cheese sandwich appetizer you talked me out of."

phat69charger

Quote from: sixty6charger on April 07, 2006, 01:30:58 PM
I'm sure what firefighter said is what you really need to know ,but I'll add this point just for the heck of it.

In simple terms torque is acceleration. Torque is what gets you moving in a hurry while HP is what keeps you going and builds upon that initial acceleration. That's where high horsepower come into play.

Or am I completely wrong. That's how I always interpreted it. Like I said, it is a laymans definition. :P

Sounds good to me Sixty6charger, my layman's term I use is "Torque moves the weight and Horsepower makes the speed"