News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rebuilding 383 -- Looking for comments on Specs

Started by dvnen, April 07, 2006, 12:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvnen

I am in the process of getting by 383 rebuilt to go in my 74 charger and looking for suggestions on specs for the engine components.  THe car has 727 trans, an 8 3/4 rear end with 4.10 gears (although I am looking to change this to 3.55s) and will be a weekend driver.  I am looking for something more than stock, generate decent hp, but not get carried away.  Any suggestions?? Thanks...

Chryco Psycho

specs for what ? ....... everything ?
9.8 : 1 compression with forged pistons  / plasma moly rings / Michigan 77 brgs / get it balanced

sext7366

Here is what I have found out about my 383...it is one of three things stock, modified, or prostock.  Because of the parts of I have seen it seems that to modify it slightly means one or more parts that dont really work well together, so modified is a single plane headers stall converter forged pistons windage tray elec ign and cam.  Pro-stock is all out racing which I assume u r not wanting.  Basically for my build my 70 383 bored 60 over with forged speed pro pistons and rings a single plane intake with 800 carb headers windage tray and a comp 274h cam, you will be looking at 400-450 horsepower... but you will need at least a 2200 stall ( I have a 2800).  So in essence it depends on what u want. I plan on driving my car to work mostly, but taking it to the track  up to 8 times a year.  So considerations are.. for better mileage= smaller cam, I personally think headers are a must for better power/ engine performance (even mileage), a windage tray is good for cheap high end horsepower gains, and a single plane is beneficial.  I know many people would not recommend a single plane for this motor, but consider this setup (383 single plane 600cfm carb and 276 gears) although it seems off, it has worked for me in the past.  The smaller carb and gears give better mileage while the cubic inches and single plane give better high end... so it all depends on what you r wanting try to be more specific, is this a strret car, or a streat strip racer, or r u just looking for a streat car that will put a beating on the new mustangs.

dvnen

clearly looking for a driver, no intentions to visit the track (OK maybe once) but something that can clearly compete with the mustants and olders chevs, mopars, etc.  Thanks for the reply

sext7366

Mopar muscle had a good article about this... here is a link from the compcams website.
http://www.compcams.com/Community/Articles/Details.asp?ID=1111284973

Basically a dual plane intake should be fine for the street, a bigger than stock carb could also be beneficial and is good for a small amount of hp.  headers would give you 15-25 horsepower (depending on who you ask), a windage tray is cheap $30 w/gaskets, and gives about 15 horsepower.  Last a higher duration camshaft will give you more power, but choosing the right one is very important.  The bigger cam you get the worse the idle and mileage usually, and you may need to upgrade the stall converter.

Basically a stock high performance 383 (with a windage tray and a 228/241 duration cam) put out 335 hp.  So add on headers, a bigger carb, and a slightly bigger cam, and you should be around 370-380hp, but I am just estimating this.  The link above gives you an idea of what certain parts will add in terms of power and torque though.

Depending on the brands you go with, you will be spending a little extra $, headers are between 100- and 400 on average ceramic are the best, but are the most expensive.  the cam you will need anyway if rebuilding your motor, so the price for a bigger cam should not be alot extra (stock cam with lifters you could get for around 125, while a comp cam with lifters is about 200).  The carb will depend on what u want as all of the brands are different, but if you consider getting a thermoquad or a similar used carb, you will be able to utilize a higher cfm 800-850, that is setup for street engines, and it would be much cheaper 50-75 for a carb with a rebuild kit.

dvnen

thanks..that is great info, I will let you know how I make out.

AKcharger

- Windage tray
- 452 heads to avoid installing hardened valve seats
- all above suggestions
- H-pipe on exhaust (or V if you have the $$)