News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is anyone running this radiator?

Started by johnnycharger, December 19, 2015, 12:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycharger

Hi Guys
I am looking at getting this radiator for my 70 charger 383/727. It looks like it will be an easy direct swap with my stock style one that has been jb welded way too many times. Is anyone running one of these? What are the pros/cons?
Thanks!
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=321872407523&category=33602&pm=1&ds=0&t=1450545974721

A383Wing

I'm running a similar one in my cars, 2 rows of 1" tubes...solved all my heating issues in the Daytona and the cream 66

myk

Thanks to the guy above me I'm running that radiator as well; car has never run cooler.   I will say this: mine did not fit perfectly and I had to enlarge two of the mounting holes.  Also, your fan clutch may be too long with the additional thickness of that radiator.  I had to buy a shorter fan clutch,  but that was the extent of the difficulty...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

johnnycharger

Thanks guys. I think I am going to pick one up. The price is reasonable.
Have you guys needed to use one of those threaded in inserts to prevent corrosion  (I don't remember the name of them)? Also did you leave it the aluminum finish or did you paint it black?

A383Wing

you are referring to a "zinc anode" for electrolysis, and no, I never felt the need for one....and I left all of my aluminum radiators the way they came to me...no paint

johnnycharger

Quote from: A383Wing on December 19, 2015, 07:04:37 PM
you are referring to a "zinc anode" for electrolysis, and no, I never felt the need for one....and I left all of my aluminum radiators the way they came to me...no paint

Awesome!  Thanks!

justcruisin

That seems like a good choice, 2 rows of 1" tubes on a 26" core with 3/8" spacings should cool in most applications.  Personally I think good air flow is vital - tight fitting shroud and good fan set up. Air flow at idle is key, not much fun when your stuck in traffic on a hot day watching that gauge climb.

I use a 3 row exactly the same as your add warns against, only 22" as well, cools my 440 no problems. Albeit mine is 3 rows of 3/4" tubes on 3/8 spacings, it has great air flow at idle which IMO is just as important as the radiator itself.

A383Wing

at idle, if a rag can stay on the front grille without any help except the fan drawing the air in, then you should be fine

1974dodgecharger

im thrashing my junk 4 row champion for this......

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

1974dodgecharger

no....but it has 1inch tubes....I like to go big or go home....wonder if they make a 4 row 1inch tubin

cdr

i have one in my 512 cid, with AC, here in south east TX, & it works great !!!!
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

A383Wing

I added a picture to my post above showing rag being held against grill by only air flow at idle

johnnycharger

Quote from: A383Wing on December 20, 2015, 01:01:39 AM
at idle, if a rag can stay on the front grille without any help except the fan drawing the air in, then you should be fine

Mine does not get even close to holding anything against the grille. I have ordered the radiator and will comment once I install it.

Thank you all for your input. I am sorry for the delayed response.

Chargerguy74

WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

RECHRGD

I've got that one and it cured all my over heating issues.  The only down side for me is the added thickness.  When changing the oil filter I have to remove the power steering hose and take the filter out from the top.
13.53 @ 105.32

johnnycharger

Quote from: RECHRGD on March 04, 2016, 10:41:00 AM
I've got that one and it cured all my over heating issues.  The only down side for me is the added thickness.  When changing the oil filter I have to remove the power steering hose and take the filter out from the top.

Really? That sounds like a PIA!

RECHRGD

Quote from: johnnycharger on March 04, 2016, 10:48:19 AM
Quote from: RECHRGD on March 04, 2016, 10:41:00 AM

Really? That sounds like a PIA!

Not really, it only adds a couple of minutes to the task.........
13.53 @ 105.32

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: A383Wing on December 20, 2015, 01:01:39 AM

:smilielol:  Mine wouldn't do that on a bet.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

johnnycharger

Do you guys have any pictures of yours installed? What shrouds do you have?

A383Wing

I'm using 70-74 E-body shroud on mine. It fits better against the aluminum radiator than the OE B-body style

I'll try and find a pic and post it here

myk

Funny, I'm using the '70 B body shroud on mine...

A383Wing

crj1968

Just how thick is this thing, as in for fan clearance? It's the only dimension they don't show.

Thanks!

ACUDANUT

I have never used a shroud and I have always been fine without one.  :Twocents: