News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dimensions for x-pipe: anyone has it?

Started by Charger_Croatia, August 10, 2005, 05:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger_Croatia

I'm preparing to finish exhaust system which I need to reproduce. Old one was chrashed in car shipping to Europe (73 Charger with 400 2bbl).
When I got the car there was one side installed so I can recover it. Dual system was there when car left the US (a friend checked that). Since I need to make complete new exhaust it will be good to do it with x-pipe (I think).

It will be great help if someone has dimensions of x-pipe for dual exhaust on 400 engine. I remember there was a thread on old board with some dimensions but I'm not sure for which car (2nd or 3rd gen).
Too expensive to order complete system there and shipped it here, otherwise I would go for it.
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Charger_Croatia

Thanks for advice CB, I already have information for that.
But, I can produce it here (in our workshop) and price would be mainly material cost. So I thought if I can get dimension it will be good opportunity to improve exhaust a little bit.
Let's say that the most important is position (distance) of "x" in relation to stock headers. If I can get that info, than I can take care of the rest. Of course I'll posted any result whether it would be successful or not.

In the worst case I'll just make separate dual exhaust.

Duey

CC, for what it's worth, I had seen that a reasonable model for an x-pipe is to use 2 x 90-degree elbows, and cut an oval into the outer mid-point of each elbow so that the long dimension of the oval is approximately 1 1/2 times the diameter of the pipe, and the short dimension will be approximately 2/3 the dimention of the pipe.  Then grind the surfaces to be totally flat, clamp together so the cut ovals touch, and weld around the entire joint.  For a 3" pipe, you would be looking at an oval in the tube wall approximately 2" x 4".  In all honesty, that should be close enough to the "perfect proportions" to work out just fine.  I'll try and find the reference for the fabrication of that x-pipe....

Cheers,
Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

KMPX2

Did you check there web site to see if they give it?

phat69charger

Charger_Croatia,
here's a pretty good article to read up on http://popularhotrodding.com/tech/0310phr_burns/  
I don't know if there's a equation for the dimensions, but there may be!
also check out the dr.gas website: http://www.drgas.com/

Charger_Croatia

Thanks for help guys.  :2thumbs:
I was so busy so I didn't manage to visit DC.com as I wanted but now I can go on.
You are all aware that it is not an easy thing to order any part from the US and here we have good workshop for diesel engine repairs so I can produce a lot of things myself.

Duey, that is great info for the start.

KMPX2, I doubt they will provide that info; I didn't find it anyway.

Phat69,  thanks for links. I'll look around to see what I can use.

As I said, anything what will come out from my works on Charger, I'll let you know.

phat69charger

There's an article in the current Mopar Action about the H Pipe VS. X Pipe, It' not about X Pipe dimensions but, the X Pipe yielded about 24 more HP and 17 Lbs of Torque on a Dyno run.