News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

AVS Resto Help

Started by MM1R/T, April 07, 2006, 09:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MM1R/T

I'm about to begin the restoration of my Carter AVS from my '68 Charger R/T 4 speed.

I've acquired an NOS dash pot and choke pull off, but a lot of the other pieces are going to need to be refinished.

Does anyone have pics of a restored carb or information on the correct finishes for the various brackets, etc.?

Howabout the body of the carb? Glass bead it? Blast with walnut shells?

I know that there are people that offer restoration services for these carbs, but I'd really like to do it myself.

resq302

My factory carb for my 69 Charger with a 4 spd/ 383HP motor should be done this coming week. I will try and get some photos for you as it is concours resto/rebuild.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

TylerCharger69

Personally...myself.....I send them out and have them restored to factory finish by the pros  who  have done it for years.   One day I may attempt it myself,  but from what I understand,  it's quite a process as far as the carb itself is concerned,  but if you are confident....I'd do some online research first...especially if you're going for the points  at the Mopar Nats  or somewhere of that nature.

MM1R/T

Who do you guys have do yours?

What kind of coin are we talking about to have a complete carb done?

resq302, Some pics would be greatly appreciated. TIA

resq302

I used customrebuiltcarbs.com.  They have a 2-3 week turnaround time and for a concourse restore/rebuild is $325.  I also believe that they flow test it prior to it being released.  They did the carb on my dads 70 El camino SS 396 and not only did it run perfectly but looks better than new.  All of the gold cadium parts are replated, the base is re dyed, EXACTLY the way it was when it was new.  Highly recommend.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

MM1R/T

resg302;

Thanks for the info. I'll check them out.

I look forward to seeing the pics when you get them up.

hemigeno

Although the color in the pictures is a little off, here are some pics of the carburetor I had Dick Katter do for me:

dodge freak

MM1R/T

Hemigeno:

Thanks, that helps a lot.

How would I get ahold of him if I wanted mine done?

hemigeno

Glad that helped, MM1!

Here's the contact info:

R.D. Katter
11135 Poplar Ford Trail
Manassas, VA  20109-2127

(703) 754-7547

You won't find anyone who can do a finer restoration, if that's what you'd like to have done.  Dick Katter does all of Roger Gibson's carburetors, if that tells you anything.  I've learned a LOT about carburetors from him, and he has about any carb or carb part you need sitting on the shelf already.

resq302

I am still waiting on my carb coming back.  The place that rebuilds/restores them had a delay with the platers with all the small parts so it should be done in the next batch.  They figure another week. :-\
Brian