News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Grad school interview is coming up and I'm getting real nervous. Update: I'M IN!

Started by Dino, January 09, 2016, 11:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Thursday afternoon I have an interview with the Physician Assistant ( PA) graduate program and my nerves are starting to get tight enough to play a tune on.  I applied to four schools but this is the one I truly want to attend.  I am prepared, I know what to say and why I am doing this, and the suit is tailored and ready.  But it doesn't change the fact that I'm scared out of my mind of not being admitted.

Maybe I should meditate or something to calm down a bit.   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

I try not to think about what might go wrong.  Sure, you don't want to be unprepared, but thinking about negative outcomes tends to psych my own self out; I'd think that might apply to many people.  Like you said, you're prepared, studied, groomed, and ready as you'll ever be.  Just believe in yourself and worry about what happens after the interview.  Even if it doesn't work out, you at least had the interview; a lot of other people didn't!
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dino

Yes that's very true!  I'm one of possible 40 candidates out of 1000+ applicants.  I can't lose track of that.  My mind tells me that all will be well, but they just haven't relayed the message to the nerves yet.   ;)

myk

Quote from: Dino on January 09, 2016, 11:37:51 PM
Yes that's very true!  I'm one of possible 40 candidates out of 1000+ applicants.  I can't lose track of that.  My mind tells me that all will be well, but they just haven't relayed the message to the nerves yet.   ;)

Understood.  Sometimes I ask myself "what would Frank Bullitt do?"  I try to emulate his wordless calm, usually fail miserably, but at least it gives me a code of conduct lol...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

skip68

Be confident but not cocky.  Keep good eye contact at all times. 
Go in with the attitude "when do I start"   
They already know who you are on paper and now you have to sell yourself in person.   Piece of cake.    :cheers: 

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

XH29N0G

I am not in that field, but we also interview students and post docs for positions at our university.  I don't know if our interviews (which are 1 to 1 and intended to get to know the candidates rather than a 'weeding' type) are relevant, but I will put down what I look for.

I use the interview to gauge whether someone has what it will take to be successful (smarts, organization and work ethic), can communicate effectively, is curious, creative, and thinks (is an interesting person).  It matters to me that the conversation is between equals as people. (I will have more formal education, but the students and post docs can be smarter or have the potential to do more than me in the long run.  If they show they can communicate as equals, it lets me know how they will present themselves in the program and when they complete the program.)  Interviewees who show interest with questions about the program or about the science impress me.  Sometimes, little things that come up in conversation after a simple question asked about what I do will set off a whole direction for discussion.  I am looking for a conversation with the person that lets me see them think and problem solve, in real time.  

If I were you, I would think up some questions about the program like what they would see as the model for a successful student, and what needs to be done to get the best chance at a good placement after the program, or what the community is like among students who are there (maybe if there is a student you could talk to).  As an interviewer, if I knew who I might talk to, I would look up some things about them and see if I could ask them about themselves.  The interview is also a chance for you to learn from these people about how they got 'here' and what they think is important.  Some may really enjoy giving advice.  They are also a chance for you to see whether the people there are decent people or egotistical.  

As an interviewer, I will have already read their letters, transcripts, statements, etc.... already, but I might ask about them.  I generally don't want someone who is a jerk, or puts people down. (It is surprising, but some interviewees do just this.)  Since I want to know how they are likely to develop, I usually ask about their strengths.  For strengths, I am looking for someone to let me know in an honest way if they are strongest with math, chemistry, physics, reasoning, etc.....  They won't be strongest in everything.  In my discipline, I also want to know whether the people are joining for an academic or research or industry.  The last bit has no right or wrong answer, but lets me see where they might fit and what type of research direction they might take.    There are plenty of questions I ask that have no right or wrong answer, but allow me to get a picture of the person.  I would expect these questions too.

Finally, someone told me once to remember to breathe, to drop my shoulders, drop my arms so they looked relaxed (they could move), to keep my head up, and make eye contact.  That actually helped me relax, and I think it also conveyed comfort and confidence in the interview.   As an interviewer, I recognize when people are nervous and do not hold it against them, but if the person is comfortable it makes the interview a lot easier from my side.

If I recall correctly, you did very well in your studies so that is a big thing in your favor, and you are asking for opinions which is also a good practice.    I suggest you go in to learn about them and be prepared to answer questions they will have about you.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Dino

Wow thanks XH!  That is really helpful information.  :cheers:
I have been reading all I can about the interviewing process and possible questions they may ask.  I have also looked into their program a lot but I do still need some good questions to ask them.   :yesnod:

And I'll make sure to be myself and not Homie...although the differences can be small at times.   :lol:

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Mytur Binsdirti

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: skip68 on January 10, 2016, 10:19:54 AM
Excellent information XH.    :2thumbs: 

I agree. :yesnod:

One thing that I can add is to be true to yourself in the interview.  If you try to be someone else, it will show.  Brush up on the current literature for research questions that may pop up unexpectedly.  Good luck and I hope you get in the program....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

b5blue

Dude....you got this!  :2thumbs: Your awesome and both your head and heart are in the right place. The jitters are totally normal so just be in the moment now, you worked your butt off to get here!  :yesnod:

Dino

Thanks guys   :cheers:

I met with one of my old professors today and he too said just be yourself.  The only bad news he had was that there will only be 30 students admitted insted of 40 and they're interviewing 90. 

I'm just going to be me, be honest, and be real. 

Two and a half days to go...

b5blue

RallyeMike

I have also done a fair amount of hiring. I agree with XH: Be conversational, motivated, and positive. Work out your plan B and C to convince yourself that you have other exciting prospects and you will end up coming across as confident.

Good luck!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

DeltaV

Quote from: RallyeMike on January 12, 2016, 11:39:07 PM
I have also done a fair amount of hiring. I agree with XH: Be conversational, motivated, and positive. Work out your plan B and C to convince yourself that you have other exciting prospects and you will end up coming across as confident.

Good luck!

Amen!
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. - Erwin Rommel

myk

Dino

Thanks guys!   :cheers:

I'm leaving in a few hours.  Should be back home by 6 EST so I'll let you know how it went.

garner7555

69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Dino

Alright I'm back home and I survived!   :2thumbs:

All in all it went really well.  I don't think I could've done anything better or differently.  I was myself, was honest, and didn't hesitate or stutter.  That's the best I can do!

Each candidate was interviewed by 4 different people.  There were 13 of us today, there are 67 more to be interviewed this month. In February they decide who are the 30 lucky ones.  Everyone will be notified late February or early March. 

This can go either way.   The candidate in the 31st position who will not make the cut is still a very good candidate, heck the 80th candidate is a good one!  So I have to be honest with myself and realize this may not happen.  That would mean I either attend a program I really don't like as much or I have to wait a year and try again.

Tomorrow I'm sending thank you notes to the people who interviewed me and then I'm letting it go.  There's no point in ruminating so I'll just try to put it out of my mind and start work on the car again.   :yesnod:

I need a drink... :eek2:

XH29N0G

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

garner7555

You did your best. Now you can have peace as you await the results. Good job! :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

b5blue

myk